Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're on telly this Saturday...

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    5. George Nicholls won Lance Todd in the 1978 final!

Incidentally i think the 1978 final was a far better game, as well as 1976, than the 1996 final, even though we lost!
    I stand to be corrected !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Usually the copious amounts of lager that does the same to me in perpignan
    Been there virtually every year since without the family, so I know what you mean.

A lad who I used to work part time with played for Saints that day: Neil Rigby. One funny lad him.

Think Scott Moore kicked the ball out on the full near the end & they scored off that set?
    It was that match that convinced me that Scott Moore didn’t have what it takes to be a top player; he only needed to kick the ball down the middle of the pitch and we’d have won. Instead he lost his head, shanked it directly into touch and gave them a scrum about 20 metres from our line.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    The replay of 1996 brings lots of memories back having seen us never win the league or cup before 1996. Catching the special train complete with The Bobby as the locomotive up front, my dad having broken his wrist a few weeks earlier meant that I had drive from the Wirral to St Helens as a learner so we could get the train.

The roller coaster of emotions as we roared away to an early lead to the despair of being 14 points down. Not getting excited after Cunningham's first try I thought it was just too much to come back from. My dad 'clapping' so hard with the cast hand into his good one that he gave himself massive bruising! The joy as we took control of the game mixed with nerves until the final whistle. The rush when we won and lift the trophy. When I saw Bobby lift the cup today on the hairs stood up once again

I must go for a rummage in the loft to see what other games I can enjoy from the past

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Saints player (thinks it was Tommy) kicked the match ball into the crowd at the end of the game. The ball is in my loft.

Got A Season Ticket

Never seen that properly before. Don't think it was as bad as Mark Elia's in 87
    To be fair to Mark Elia, John Pendlebury punched the ball out of his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    To be fair to Mark Elia, John Pendlebury punched the ball out of his hands.
    You're right he did.

Also, does anyone know who the co-commentator was with Ray French & Joe Lydon? Can never remember who that was. Steve Simms? Always liked him

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    Saints player (thinks it was Tommy) kicked the match ball into the crowd at the end of the game. The ball is in my loft.
    Quality!

Got A Season Ticket

You're right he did.

Also, does anyone know who the co-commentator was with Ray French & Joe Lydon? Can never remember who that was. Steve Simms? Always liked him
    Steve Simms who had been the coach of Leigh Halifax I seem to recall he liked to cite players if he lost.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    What a great momento

Learning All The Songs

Never seen that properly before. Don't think it was as bad as Mark Elia's in 87
    I remember jumping up & down for a good few minutes thinking that was the winning try. We only realised he didn't score when we didn't take a conversion..... Still gutting....

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I remember jumping up & down for a good few minutes thinking that was the winning try. We only realised he didn't score when we didn't take a conversion..... Still gutting....
    Me too! I was 12 and could barely see from the terrace at the other end of Wembley. Everyone going mad for ages thinking he’d scored and won the game.

Didn’t realise something similar had happened in 1978 until I watched it yesterday

Banned

You would know all about offside as when Goodway caught that pass from Hanley in the 1990 semi, he was in 1994
    Is no 5 the highest aggregate score in a Challenge Cup final ?

Banned

Different programme but I didn't want to start a thread just to ask:

In the Watersplash final documentary just there, there was mention that Don Fox shouldn't have actually been the kicker and only was because another player hadn't played the week before for some reason. Who was the player, why hadn't he played and why did not playing one week affect next?

Got A Season Ticket

It's was his brother Neil who was rated one of the best players in the game at that time ,he had a slight groin injury the week before the CC final and the story was he was told if he didn't play the week before Wembley he wouldn't play in the final
    Watching the documentary again I had forgotten how lucky Leeds got one of the most ridiculous penalty try desicions ever seen given in there favour

Learning All The Songs

talking of flash backs.On this day 1996, Saints hammered Wigan in the Good Friday clash:

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/04/0...sh-wigan-1996/

Derek McVey stood out that day

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    1 highest scoring final

2. Highest score for a losing team

3 first Hat-rick

4 biggest comeback

5 lance todd trophied awarded to a player on losing side

There may well be more ....
    And the hattrick would have been Preccies but for the chip kick ball hitting the cross bar

Got A Season Ticket

From my 1996 season scrap book. On the eve of the game a Wigan director was being questioned by the police according to the clipping.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    It's was his brother Neil who was rated one of the best players in the game at that time ,he had a slight groin injury the week before the CC final and the story was he was told if he didn't play the week before Wembley he wouldn't play in the final
    Watching the documentary again I had forgotten how lucky Leeds got one of the most ridiculous penalty try desicions ever seen given in there favour
    Thanks Steve.

It's the first time I'd seen anything of the match because I wasn't around in '68 and to be honest, I was astonished at the penalty try decision watching it there this afternoon. I had my mouth open wondering how he made that decision. The only thing I can think is from whatever angle he was he saw a Wakefield arm around the Leeds player without seeing they were actually both tangled together. Crazy stuff. Strange also that a decision on whether to play such a good player was made a week in advance.

Watching the documentary was very moving I thought and very sad particularly given DF's struggles with depression later in life. A true gentle giant really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

From my 1996 season scrap book. On the eve of the game a Wigan director was being questioned by the police according to the clipping.

Some great memories in those cuttings. Thx. Some things never change at Wigan, two questioned by the police, one ex Wiganer sent off for Auckland, and Wigan awarded a try from a forward pass. Even for Wigan that's a lot in one week.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 5th April 2020 at 20:33. Reason: typo

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    First time squad numbers used instead of 1-13 ??

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Don't ask me, I started making them up about halfway through lol

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Some great memories in those cuttings. Thx. Some things never change at Wigan, two questioned be the police, one ex Wiganer sent off for Auckland, and Wigan awarded a try from a forward pass. Even for Wigan that's a lot in one week.
    Ha ha ha ha! A bad week even by their standards.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Some great memories in those cuttings. Thx. Some things never change at Wigan, two questioned be the police, one ex Wiganer sent off for Auckland, and Wigan awarded a try from a forward pass. Even for Wigan that's a lot in one week.
    God, I loved RL and the Saints then.. Still do but I lived for Saints then...

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

76 was hot I worked with a bloke who had to work on the Saturday morning he jumped on his motorbike (something like a 1000cc Vincent) and set off to Wembley disregarding speed limits he got there in time for the game. He said it was that hot the gap on his wrists between his sleeves and his gloves was burnt to a crisp.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

This is why we are always in Wigan’s shadows...
    No spreadsheets or ‘pie’ charts. I expect our resident idiot from Wigan to pipe up about some kid from Platt Waz in that era who could have been better than Murphy.