Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wellens

Noooobie

Default Paul Wellens

Sky are running best full back over last 25 years. At the moment Wellens and Radlinski are level on 38%. To vote for Wellens, click on his picture half way down the page on the Sky website. Can't let Pies win!!!!! COYS

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...f-super-league

Why no highlights reel for Wello but one for the others?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

He plays in red and white not cherry and white...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    They also have a spreadsheet.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    They also have a spreadsheet.
    It is correlated with the attendance but is factored and filtered to take in the weather and the relative success of the opposition then multiplied by the number of spanners in a Snap-on basic set.

I find it very hard to pick between the two.
    Wellens & Radlinski were both brilliant.

I will say that Radlinski gets so many plaudits for his'Lazarus' performance at Murrayfield, whereas Wellens was brilliant at Cardiff 2 years later. Radlinski was atrocious that day, got a kick charged down early on that Gilmour scored off & was dreadful there all afternoon

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I find it very hard to pick between the two.
    Wellens & Radlinski were both brilliant.

I will say that Radlinski gets so many plaudits for his'Lazarus' performance at Murrayfield, whereas Wellens was brilliant at Cardiff 2 years later. Radlinski was atrocious that day, got a kick charged down early on that Gilmour scored off & was dreadful there all afternoon
    Disagree Ralph. The tackle on Darren Albert in Cardiff was IMO a better one than the one at Murrayfield. Albert was clear and Rads caught him.

And to disagree with most, my vote went to Sam Tomkins, from 2010 until 2013 he was virtually unplayable, the try against Saints at the Etihad was in a different class. He played well for Catalan last year and looked to have started the season well again this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Disagree Ralph. The tackle on Darren Albert in Cardiff was IMO a better one than the one at Murrayfield. Albert was clear and Rads caught him.

And to disagree with most, my vote went to Sam Tomkins, from 2010 until 2013 he was virtually unplayable, the try against Saints at the Etihad was in a different class. He played well for Catalan last year and looked to have started the season well again this.
    Jesus wept.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Jesus wept.
    Now Now Dave, hold your temper. This is the life of Brian we are talking about. We all know Ratboy is not a patch on Wello or Rads, the poor old boy is in self isolation with only a spreadsheet for company, don't feed him and he will fish elsewhere, usually the Crossroads appreciation website where they discuss the acting ability of Adam Chance.

Rogues, Radlinski was phenomenal at Murrayfield & he was terrible at Cardiff. I was at both games and remember them vividly.

As for Tomkins being better than either, well I don't know what to say. He just wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Had too many. Couldn't get them under 4 hours.

Although to balance the view, I remember Scott Donald waltzing around him at Old Trafford. Bad day that

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Jesus wept.
    If he didnt before he will now.

Noooobie

Currently Wello 40% Radlinski 39%. Come on guys spread the word. VOTE FOR WELLO!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

This I suppose is a similar argument to those made about Greg Inglis winning awards for best full back when he played there for a few years for Souths. He was arguably the best player in the comp whilst playing at 1, but he wasn't a fantastic fullback in the strict sense of what a fullback should be. He was simply a great player who happened to be picked at 1 for reasons other than his abilities to play the defensive role of the position.

I think Wellens and Radlinski could play at 1 now and be regarded as great fullbacks, but if you threw Inglis, Tomkins, Barba and players like that into the 1 shirt 20 years ago they'd get moved to centre or the halves very quickly.

Learning All The Songs

I rememeber how good kris was.
    But when wello came along he was better.

For me there's no question. Wello is head and shoulders above those guys
    I think a lot of people forget him in his peak.

Webb seemed probably the most naturally gifted out of that list? But I just don't remember enough of him. I seem to remember him having poor discipline at times?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Don't think there is much difference between the two, Radlinski probably the better attacker because of his speed but his defensive weakness was mopping up a grubber kick, Wello was "Mr Radar" always seem to know where the opposition was going to kick or make a break.

For me Wello could read the game better than Radlinski and that made up for his lack of acceleration because his reading of the game was seconds quicker. Strangely both of them played 30 international games and scored 7 tries a piece, seem to remember Radlinski looked a bit better at international level though, but that could be down to the quality of the opposition at the time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Two great players but Wello for me. He lacked the pace of Radlinski, but great under the high ball and his timing with backing up close to the line was phenomenal. Also thought Hampson was great under the high ball.

Learning All The Songs

Difficult as Wello and Radlinski were consistently very good over a longer period of time, in Wello`s case a very long time.
    All fully fit who would you want in match that you had to win ? I would have to agree with Rogues on this one, though that try at the Etihad was against a 22 year old Gary Wheeler who was fat and slow back then and some think he would be a good stop gap now 8 years later.
    Thought he was stand off that day though.

How can anyone even consider Tompkins. Dropped far too many bombs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    How can anyone even consider Tompkins. Dropped far too many bombs.
    And like clockwork goes in with the knees when he arrives too late on the try scorer.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Wellens all day, the ability to beat the 1st man when bringing the ball back, his upper body strength, reading of the game, safety under the high bomb, positioning, support play and his passing (which very rarely gets mentioned with Wello but his passing selection was superb and very under rated).

God had to make it fair for the rest somehow so he took a bit of speed from the great man. Seriously though imagine if Wellens had speed, not even like Grace but like Swift or Makinson or someone like that. I genuniely think we'd be talking about one of the top 5 players to ever play the game from both sides of the world.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Tomkins was absolutely class for 3-4 years, I don't think it's as ridiculous a comment as some people think. Probably over that period, like Ben Barba for 6 months wit us, hit levels at full back that we've rarely seen in this country. He scored some spectacular tries and was a key driving force behind Wigan's success in the early part of the last decade.

But for pure consistency, Wellens was the best for me. He won everything for the club, captained the club, won every individual honour in the British game. His all round game makes him the best choice. He wasn't explosive like Tomkins but he scored a lot of tries from his position, read the game exceptionally well and defensively was outstanding. He very rarely dropped a bomb or misfielded a grubber either. Tomkins didn't have that same ability in defence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Always does... remember him grounding Cunningham . A few weeks before cunningham was retiring at end of season did he do him. The last game Wigan, really thought Cunningham would hammer to Thomson’s but no Kieron as ever the bigger man said Sam wasn’t worth it. Still does it horrible player..

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Tomkins was absolutely class for 3-4 years, I don't think it's as ridiculous a comment as some people think. Probably over that period, like Ben Barba for 6 months wit us, hit levels at full back that we've rarely seen in this country. He scored some spectacular tries and was a key driving force behind Wigan's success in the early part of the last decade.

But for pure consistency, Wellens was the best for me. He won everything for the club, captained the club, won every individual honour in the British game. His all round game makes him the best choice. He wasn't explosive like Tomkins but he scored a lot of tries from his position, read the game exceptionally well and defensively was outstanding. He very rarely dropped a bomb or misfielded a grubber either. Tomkins didn't have that same ability in defence.
    Nah disagree. Tomkins got lucky in that he was playing in a rubbish comp. He was found out when he went to a better one.

Not a patch on Wellens or Radlinski & there's a serious case for Brent Webb being better than him as well. I certainly think he was.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Wellens all day, the ability to beat the 1st man when bringing the ball back, his upper body strength, reading of the game, safety under the high bomb, positioning, support play and his passing (which very rarely gets mentioned with Wello but his passing selection was superb and very under rated).

God had to make it fair for the rest somehow so he took a bit of speed from the great man. Seriously though imagine if Wellens had speed, not even like Grace but like Swift or Makinson or someone like that. I genuniely think we'd be talking about one of the top 5 players to ever play the game from both sides of the world.
    Agree 100% with every word.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies