Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wellens

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Disagree Ralph. The tackle on Darren Albert in Cardiff was IMO a better one than the one at Murrayfield. Albert was clear and Rads caught him.

And to disagree with most, my vote went to Sam Tomkins, from 2010 until 2013 he was virtually unplayable, the try against Saints at the Etihad was in a different class. He played well for Catalan last year and looked to have started the season well again this.
    Radlinski was very slightly more dependable under the high ball. Wellens beats him in every other department. Ball carries in own 20 zone, tackles, trys, try assists. Wiganers give Radlinski legendary status because of that one game at Murrayfield. They conveniently overlook all those games where he was nothing more than a ginger turnstile.
    When we beat you men at the JJB in the 2000 play offs his performance was laughable.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Radlinski was very slightly more dependable under the high ball. Wellens beats him in every other department. Ball carries in own 20 zone, tackles, trys, try assists. Wiganers give Radlinski legendary status because of that one game at Murrayfield. They conveniently overlook all those games where he was nothing more than a ginger turnstile.
    When we beat you men at the JJB in the 2000 play offs his performance was laughable.
    Radlinskis performance in that play off game was certainly no worse than that of Wellens at the Etihad in 2012 when Hock, Sam Tomkins and a 34 year old year George Carmont destroyed him. Then of course 2008 in Melbourne was another standout performance!!!
    Anyway I'll stick with what I said that Sam Tomkins would be my pick of fullbacks in the Superleague era, in fact IMO he's the best I've seen at Wigan and that's a big call as I go back to the days of Jackie Cunliffe.
    Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. Wellens was pretty much flawless under the high ball from what I remember.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. Wellens was pretty much flawless under the high ball from what I remember.
    Thought the same but I haven't seen Radlinski play as much as Wellens so I'm not in any position to comment. I think I've only seen Wellens drop a bomb once and that was either his last season or season before last with us... I honestly can remember another time even though I'm sure he has.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    To be fair he did drop one once, in his professional career.

Banned

Radlinskis performance in that play off game was certainly no worse than that of Wellens at the Etihad in 2012 when Hock, Sam Tomkins and a 34 year old year George Carmont destroyed him. Then of course 2008 in Melbourne was another standout performance!!!
    Anyway I'll stick with what I said that Sam Tomkins would be my pick of fullbacks in the Superleague era, in fact IMO he's the best I've seen at Wigan and that's a big call as I go back to the days of Jackie Cunliffe.
    Why don't you take your ridiculous opinions and actually distasteful comments regarding a Saints legend and go elsewhere you stupid blinkered bitter old man.

Here's a list of fullbacks in the SL era who are/were better than Tomkins.

Wellens
    Prescott
    Webb
    Radlinski
    Hardaker
    Dorn
    Evalds
    Barba
    Coote
    Connolly (when he played at fullback)
    Makinson (when he plays at fullback)
    Brett Hodgson
    Stuart Reardon

And that's off the top off my head

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think you have hyped up Tomkins too much their Rogues, he is always inconsistent in the defensive department. He is also light years behind Radlinski and Wellens for sporting gamesmanship he isn't called RAT BOY for nothing. I would have a guess that he is probably pick of the fullbacks in the super league era for match bans with his scrotey antics.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think you have hyped up Tomkins too much their Rogues, he is always inconsistent in the defensive department. He is also light years behind Radlinski and Wellens for sporting gamesmanship he isn't called RAT BOY for nothing. I would have a guess that he is probably pick of the fullbacks in the super league era for match bans with his scrotey antics.
    He has to be on the wind up

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    He has to be on the wind up
    I don't think it's "Lost in Translation" it's more like "Lost in Isolation" he does seem to be more winded this year.

Starting A Programme Collection

Radlinski had pace but Paul had that uncanny knack of always being in the right place, be it marking in defence or backing up in attack. He scored bagfulls of tries doing that. That chip kick in the grand final for Tommy was icing on the cake.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He should have been the pick of SL for match bans the number of times he went in with his knees to a player on the ground. A real coward unless he is drunk in a pub. No wonder they love him in Wigan. Did Radlinski ever get a MOS or ever have a season where he was as outstanding as Wellens 2006.

Wellens any day for me. The times I thought that lad was going to have a breakdown when a bomb came over to either Meli or Adie!

His defense was second to none, his attack as good as any, and his loyalty to the club, needs not be mentioned.

Great player, we're lucky to of had him then, and still to have him on board.

COYS

Banned

Talking a load of bigoted tripe again.

Tomkins has been garbage for a while and an NRL failure. Mentioning a couple of good years is like Michael Vaughan choosing Mitchell Johnson in an all time Ashes XI on the back of a good Ashes series and a half against England. Joke. Absolute disease off the field as well.

Wellens for me though both Radlinski came up short at international level though at least Welles’s won some MOM performances against the big boys.

Brett Hodgson is unlucky to not make that short list.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Here's a list of fullbacks in the SL era who are/were better than Tomkins.

Wellens
    Prescott
    Webb
    Radlinski
    Hardaker
    Dorn
    Evalds
    Barba
    Coote
    Connolly (when he played at fullback)
    Makinson (when he plays at fullback)
    Brett Hodgson
    Stuart Reardon

And that's off the top off my head

You missed off Nathan Graham.

Another Saints legend.

Says it all Sam Tompkins what a joke u are stick to your spread sheets .tompkins u should be mentioned in the same breath as Welles’s or rads. It laughable..

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    You missed off Nathan Graham.

Another Saints legend.
    Ha ha ha.

To be fair, that ball had moon dust on it, Goulding kicked it that high

It must be very hard for the Goons to digest that quite a few Saints players are the best in Superleague by longevity of position, with Wellens, Longy, Cunningham, Newlove and Sculthorpe at least amongst debatable others with the likes of Lyon, Albert, Graham etc etc

Banned

Lets not forget Stiddy most Wigan fans are similar to ourselves passionate but pretty fair. Sadly this individual is the polar opposite of this mindset. He is the keyboard equivalent of the guy who would start a fight in a pub then run off whilst others ended up sorting out his disrespectfulness. He is defended by a minority on this site and he hides behind that. Anyone with a RL brain know that Wello and Rads both had stellar careers when it was a much stronger competition.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Radlinski had pace but Paul had that uncanny knack of always being in the right place, be it marking in defence or backing up in attack. He scored bagfulls of tries doing that. That chip kick in the grand final for Tommy was icing on the cake.
    I suppose full back is the only position where you can't make direct comparison because they are not in direct contact with each other. I just wish this was a conversation about Coote and his opposite number for Good Friday, the reality of no Rugby League for the foreseeable future will really hit home then, mind you I've been watching really old Good Friday matches on you tube and enjoying them

Learning All The Songs

Wellens is number one with his all round ability & loyalty. His trophy cabinet is second to none when it comes to achievements at full back. If Tomkins didn't have the knee injury I feel he would have been one of the all time greats because at times he was almost unplayable on his day. Unfortunately his lack of loyalty and more importantly his grubby side has tarnished his reputation. Radlinski IMO is not even on the same ball park as these two.

In The South Stand

Did Tomkins get his knee injury by going in with it on a tackled player ?.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Wellens is number one with his all round ability & loyalty. His trophy cabinet is second to none when it comes to achievements at full back. If Tomkins didn't have the knee injury I feel he would have been one of the all time greats because at times he was almost unplayable on his day. Unfortunately his lack of loyalty and more importantly his grubby side has tarnished his reputation. Radlinski IMO is not even on the same ball park as these two.
    Agreed 100%, I said before and as much as I hate to admit it but if the ball goes to ground, its the 5th tackle and you need someone to come up with that magic play, then out of all the fullbacks that have played Superleague (apart from Barba), he is the player you'd want to give the ball to.