Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger and better rugby league.

Learning All The Songs

Default Bigger and better rugby league.

So having been on a couple of bike rides and breathing in I'm sure cleaner air.
    With what is happening maybe the planet can heal a little with less pollution etc..

Got me thinking about rugby and if things change, maybe we use it as a reset button.
    What do we change.
    Make it better.
    Thinking about any aspect. Marketing. Player retention. Development of game world wide
    Ideas?

For me raising the salary cap is a no brainer for clubs that can afford it.

Also the same rules for all. NRL, Superleague, International.

Learning All The Songs

Also would love Eddie hearn to get involved with DAZN.
    I think a lot of people pay for sky sports mainly for rugby league.
    Would be great to be able to pay less more for more specific sports.

I'm also a massive boxing fan, so the idea of DAZN doing rugby league too is a massive appeal to me.

Learning All The Songs

I enjoy sky sports footage by the way, always have done but it doesn't seem they have done the sport any favours as far as spreading the word and making it bigger and appealing to the masses.
    The way we all watch media has changed massively.
    There's more rugby league content.
    The out of your league podcasts are brilliant. Always a good watch (highly recommended)

Got A Season Ticket

Do we take this chance to totally overhaul everything we do as a sport?
    For instance, given the lack of support from some of the clubs towards the Reserve and Academy set-ups, do we follow an NFL style draft system whereby all of the young players are controlled centrally through an independent body - I wouldn't trust the RFL to run anything like this (albeit it's through the college system for the NFL), and then when they are ready to take the next step, at the end of the season, there's a draft and players are picked up that way?
    Similarly to the NFL, the worst performing teams from that season get first pick of the players in the draft and as part of that have to ensure that they are staying within the salary cap with whatever contract they offer the players.
    At the moment, whilst I accept that the clubs that train and nuture the players get the benefit from deciding who they keep and train on and who they release, with it being centrally controlled and possibly also funded (with funds being paid equally into by the clubs), after a few years, it would possibly even up the competition and clubs would have to think long and hard about their playing roster.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Do we take this chance to totally overhaul everything we do as a sport?
    For instance, given the lack of support from some of the clubs towards the Reserve and Academy set-ups, do we follow an NFL style draft system whereby all of the young players are controlled centrally through an independent body - I wouldn't trust the RFL to run anything like this (albeit it's through the college system for the NFL), and then when they are ready to take the next step, at the end of the season, there's a draft and players are picked up that way?
    Similarly to the NFL, the worst performing teams from that season get first pick of the players in the draft and as part of that have to ensure that they are staying within the salary cap with whatever contract they offer the players.
    At the moment, whilst I accept that the clubs that train and nuture the players get the benefit from deciding who they keep and train on and who they release, with it being centrally controlled and possibly also funded (with funds being paid equally into by the clubs), after a few years, it would possibly even up the competition and clubs would have to think long and hard about their playing roster.
    Oh yeh great idea, Saints and Wigan spend all the time, effort and considerable amount of money to develop players only for their best to end up warming the bench at Wakefield whilst a third rate Pacific Islander gets on the park.

There is nothing stopping the other teams from investing in their academy.

Learning All The Songs

What happened to the days when Bradford where leading the way for family entertainment, and rugby league being a huge day out.
    Other teams where starting to follow.
    I thought it was great for the game but it seemed to die off..

American sports I'm not a fan of, I think the actual sports are boring, but the spectacle and event is sometimes kind blowing.
    Rugby League cannot rely on just being a great sport.

This is pointless even mentioning
    But I have a big gripe about the shoulder charge..
    It was a brilliant part of the game, and can't think of a single incident when a serious injury was caused by it.
    For sure shoulder to the head serious consequences but it was something that really made the sport stand out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    What happened to the days when Bradford where leading the way for family entertainment, and rugby league being a huge day out.
    Other teams where starting to follow.
    I thought it was great for the game but it seemed to die off..

American sports I'm not a fan of, I think the actual sports are boring, but the spectacle and event is sometimes kind blowing.
    Rugby League cannot rely on just being a great sport.

This is pointless even mentioning
    But I have a big gripe about the shoulder charge..
    It was a brilliant part of the game, and can't think of a single incident when a serious injury was caused by it.
    For sure shoulder to the head serious consequences but it was something that really made the sport stand out.
    The concept was good but the Thursday, Friday night games combined with it being a 4 season sport has killed it off. For me starting the season on 31st January and half the season gone before we get to the warm summer months means pre game entertainment is limited and few and far between.

The title is Bigger and Better rugby league..........I would go the opposite Smaller for the Better of Rugby League. Would have 10 team Superleague 1 and Superleague 2 with Superleague 2 joining the Superleague 1 Fray at some point towards the end of the season.

Learning All The Songs

Less games I would agree with, and starting closer to summer

First past the post wins the league after a home & away format.

Challenge Cup final last game of the season. In Cardiff

Learning All The Songs

Wembley summer challenge cup final has always been great. prefer it to the sl grand final wouldnt change that.
    Also wouldnt want to get rid of the super league grand final.

Playoffs has always been a funny one, winners getting a week off doesnt always seem to be an advantage.
    Always thought top of the league should be straight into the final. maybe 2nd at home to 3rd for the other team.. again that gives them the momentum....

ive actually never liked going to old trafford for the final. Just personally dont like the stadium (not a football fan so its not a biased thing) Prefer Man city stadium.

ive actually never liked going to old trafford for the final. Just personally dont like the stadium (not a football fan so its not a biased thing) Prefer Man city stadium.
    But isn't Man City a football Stadium?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

no, purpose built for the commonwealth games in 2002 as a multi sport venue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by el ste View Post
    no, purpose built for the commonwealth games in 2002 as a multi sport venue.
    And re-developed as at football stadium ffs.

Wembley summer challenge cup final has always been great. prefer it to the sl grand final wouldnt change that.
    Also wouldnt want to get rid of the super league grand final.

Playoffs has always been a funny one, winners getting a week off doesnt always seem to be an advantage.
    Always thought top of the league should be straight into the final. maybe 2nd at home to 3rd for the other team.. again that gives them the momentum....

I'm a Utd fan & I fully agree with you. Only been once for the football, been there a few times for the rugby & went for the Coldplay concert there in June 2016. It's a terrific stadium.

Old Trafford is tatty now. It needs serious money spent on it

Starting A Programme Collection

So having been on a couple of bike rides and breathing in I'm sure cleaner air.
    With what is happening maybe the planet can heal a little with less pollution etc..

Got me thinking about rugby and if things change, maybe we use it as a reset button.
    What do we change.
    Make it better.
    Thinking about any aspect. Marketing. Player retention. Development of game world wide
    Ideas?

For me raising the salary cap is a no brainer for clubs that can afford it.

Also the same rules for all. NRL, Superleague, International.
    Depending on how long this pandemic lasts for will determine the future financial decisions that the RFL and Superleague will have to make. Players may need to take massive pay cuts for clubs to survive so the salary cap would have to come down to ease the financial pressure on clubs.

It could be years before clubs are financially sound again before we could even think of upping the cap again.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    But isn't Man City a football Stadium?
    Read what I wrote again? :/

Learning All The Songs

Has a great feel doesn't it. Very open, Wembley esque...

Got A Season Ticket

I enjoy sky sports footage by the way, always have done but it doesn't seem they have done the sport any favours as far as spreading the word and making it bigger and appealing to the masses.
    The way we all watch media has changed massively.
    There's more rugby league content.
    The out of your league podcasts are brilliant. Always a good watch (highly recommended)
    I think Sky getting Chris Kamara in the commentary box for the Cas -Saints game was a move in the right direction. Good RL knowledge and a personality, and well known to the Sporting masses on a day when RL had the sporting audience to itself. - Claire Balding would be good if seen more on Sky RL too.

We should bring back the old Puma rugby balls. Never been one as good as them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    We should bring back the old Puma rugby balls. Never been one as good as them
    Mitre Multiplex?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    I think Sky getting Chris Kamara in the commentary box for the Cas -Saints game was a move in the right direction. Good RL knowledge and a personality, and well known to the Sporting masses on a day when RL had the sporting audience to itself. - Claire Balding would be good if seen more on Sky RL too.
    He was very good and entertaining.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He was very good and entertaining.
    I flew back from Germany with Kamara. Very funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Never met him but seems very likeable. I went to Cas so didn't see the tv coverage but glad to see positive views of him

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I flew back with Lufthansa
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Never met him but seems very likeable. I went to Cas so didn't see the tv coverage but glad to see positive views of him
    Met him only very briefly once outside Craven Cottage. He approached us to say hello wereas most would just probably ignore. Seems a good guy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk