Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is responsible?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I agree that Saints are vitally important to the town for various big reasons, and wherever I've lived I've always used Saints games as an excuse to come back more regularly than I may have otherwise. I will always be a Saints fan and will always come back for games, I have no doubt. However, I generally don't care that much about the game in general other than big marquee games (Cup games, play offs) and other than Saints games I generally just see the other scores online or in the paper and move on.

As for football, the fact that there aren't many goals is kind of the reason why it's so popular. Goals mean something, they are massive moments, unlike in a game of RL where a try can mean alot or not alot depending on when it's scored. Some of the best RL games I've watched have been low scoring affairs where a try for either side would have been huge. I think international RU also has the same thing going for it, where tries are seen as game changing events because not that many are scored in the real big games.
    I can`t agree with you on the soccer issue, one of the reasons its so popular is that the underdog can pull off an upset and the result is usually in doubt until the final few minutes. My opinion is this is because the game is easy to play and quality is lacking apart from obvious exceptions. I get to watch my grandson play both codes of Gaelic and other older teams as a sideline fix nowadays, the result of these games are usually in doubt until the final minutes, is free scoring and can be physical. I find myself as entertained and immersed as at KR, I could never feel that at Goodison though I accept I may be in the minority or at the wrong side of Stanley Park
    It is nearly quarter of a century since Super league`s inception our game has regressed as a viewer friendly sport and in its management.
    Is the apathy that fans now have because of the former or latter, I suspect the disillusion is how the game has been run.
    Once a sport is fully professional the margains for failure become smaller this may take from the spectacle, Nathan Graham`s errors added to 1996 excitement for me personally, I doubt that would happen nowadays, though Francis Meli was making a claim for that title in finals. I suspect it will only become more robotic in future years, we may have to grow the rivalries that soccer thrives on, though I want to sit next to opposition fans but only if we are winning

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    For me the first decade of Superleague SKY was very good, part of the problem was that we couldn't enhance it because most of the clubs didn't have the guts to own the Superleague concept properly and left it in the RFL hands to control. Nigel Wood- Richard Lewis- Brian Barwick- Ralph Rimmer were not really up to the job, Richard Lewis stage managed the funding with Sport England then jumped ship when the participation numbers dropped. The salary cap should be double to what it is now and the sponsorship are 3rd rate, so we are left with a poor quality product with not much potential of improving it......so I don't think we can blame SKY as a whole.
    Glad you are not doing our PR and Commercial.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I can`t agree with you on the soccer issue, one of the reasons its so popular is that the underdog can pull off an upset and the result is usually in doubt until the final few minutes. My opinion is this is because the game is easy to play and quality is lacking apart from obvious exceptions. I get to watch my grandson play both codes of Gaelic and other older teams as a sideline fix nowadays, the result of these games are usually in doubt until the final minutes, is free scoring and can be physical. I find myself as entertained and immersed as at KR, I could never feel that at Goodison though I accept I may be in the minority or at the wrong side of Stanley Park
    It is nearly quarter of a century since Super league`s inception our game has regressed as a viewer friendly sport and in its management.
    Is the apathy that fans now have because of the former or latter, I suspect the disillusion is how the game has been run.
    Once a sport is fully professional the margains for failure become smaller this may take from the spectacle, Nathan Graham`s errors added to 1996 excitement for me personally, I doubt that would happen nowadays, though Francis Meli was making a claim for that title in finals. I suspect it will only become more robotic in future years, we may have to grow the rivalries that soccer thrives on, though I want to sit next to opposition fans but only if we are winning
    The same criticism that is aimed at RL has been aimed at RU. Let’s face it until super league both codes were semi pro (the only difference was RL players paid tax).

Just been watching the 1986-1987 season tries on saintstv, and it seams like the majority of our tries go through countless pair of hands, proper champagne rugby (although the picture quality is that of a good bluey). Obviously as everyone goes full time you now have 8hours a day to fill, so game plan and opposition analysis will now be the norm.

Learning All The Songs

Who is to Blame? The Aussies they took RL and stripped it down to the bare bones, initially in the 80’s with their liberal interpretation of ‘sports supplements’ turning it into a power game all across the park, to the robotic game pans that worked on low percentage failure rather than risk taking.

Yes in the 80’s we won nowt but you rarely walked away from the match having been bored for 80 mins even in defeat there was a try that stirred the imagination. Or are my glasses rose tinted?

In The South Stand

We shouldn't have copied the Aussies . We used to be better to watch I will go further and say the Aussies have decided that they are so much better than the rest of the Rugby League world , tell them to stay in there own Country and enjoy the game that they think is better , or British clubs make a decision not to sign any players from there and tell any British players going there to play that you wont be picked for any representative games any more maybe we could get teams made up from British players as it used to be when we used to beat them , don't forget they once copied us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    We shouldn't have copied the Aussies . We used to be better to watch I will go further and say the Aussies have decided that they are so much better than the rest of the Rugby League world , tell them to stay in there own Country and enjoy the game that they think is better , or British clubs make a decision not to sign any players from there and tell any British players going there to play that you wont be picked for any representative games any more maybe we could get teams made up from British players as it used to be when we used to beat them , don't forget they once copied us.
    This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    This is a joke, right?

What makes you think this is a joke?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Don't worry you DO go to the right side of Stanley Park an honest club not a club built on glory hunters and scumbaggery.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    What makes you think this is a joke?
    The fact it’s utter tripe.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    The fact it’s utter tripe.
    If you're an Australian RL player and play outside of the NRL you won't get picked for the Kangaroos.

If you're an English RU player and play outside of the Premiership you won't get picked for England.

These things already happen.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Who is to Blame? The Aussies they took RL and stripped it down to the bare bones, initially in the 80’s with their liberal interpretation of ‘sports supplements’ turning it into a power game all across the park, to the robotic game pans that worked on low percentage failure rather than risk taking.

Yes in the 80’s we won nowt but you rarely walked away from the match having been bored for 80 mins even in defeat there was a try that stirred the imagination. Or are my glasses rose tinted?
    I think the clubs must take a lot of responsibility also.

The amount of second rate overseas signings we saw from the mid 80's onwards did 2 things, first it stopped english players being given time to develop and secondly it lead to coach's developing a more structured attack.

Once everything became a set piece we saw an alarming drop in players having the ability to play with their heads up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think the clubs must take a lot of responsibility also.

The amount of second rate overseas signings we saw from the mid 80's onwards did 2 things, first it stopped english players being given time to develop and secondly it lead to coach's developing a more structured attack.

Once everything became a set piece we saw an alarming drop in players having the ability to play with their heads up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Would agree with that, and to add to it the overseas quota was far too relaxed we had the ancestry rule where if your grandparents were British as far back as the Jacobite wars you qualified to play in Superleague, also the 5 year residency rule which were a cop out and became more prevalent with the long contract deals created by the clubs.

I did a rough estimate last season out of around 250 squad quality players there were probably around 80 overseas players who weren't exactly pure British, that's over 30% far too high. Next season we should be looking at bringing that down to 20% at least.

In The South Stand

Good grief , someones going to be agreeing with me yet , if they aren't careful .

Got A Season Ticket

I have often thought with the increase in in strength, stamina and fitness of players and it becoming more defensive, the game should be reduced to 12 a side to open it up and give smaller faster players more opportunities in the game, what position to drop???, leave that to the coach.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Parrer View Post
    I have often thought with the increase in in strength, stamina and fitness of players and it becoming more defensive, the game should be reduced to 12 a side to open it up and give smaller faster players more opportunities in the game, what position to drop???, leave that to the coach.
    That has been mentioned before with the obvious ball playing loose forward becoming redundant anyhow. I think one of the cases against this would be if the other code lost both flankers from the forward pack.
    Does not bear thinking about them becoming the 13 man code of Rugby. They seem to have a patent on the singular Rugby name in most press articles nowadays.

Got A Season Ticket

That has been mentioned before with the obvious ball playing loose forward becoming redundant anyhow. I think one of the cases against this would be if the other code lost both flankers from the forward pack.
    Does not bear thinking about them becoming the 13 man code of Rugby. They seem to have a patent on the singular Rugby name in most press articles nowadays.
    I am sure the R.U. spent a large amount of money, some years ago for an outside task force look at how they could improve the game and it's appeal, they were reported as being surprised and shocked how far the recommendations took it towards R.L.