Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever try

Default Greatest ever try

Link below to vote

Wide to west is on there.

https://www.rugby-league.com/125?utm...J,70KT4,2SCE,1

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Anyone remember the Steve Prescott try brought the ball out from behind his goal post beat 2 defenders and then weaved his way through the rest of the opposition for what seemed to be a 110 yard try, don't think that was televised.

Wide to West for me but I'm biased.

Hower, Offiah's try at Wembley when he bust through 2 defenders and went on the outside of Tait was a special effort.

Also, the Steve Jackson try for Canberra in a final late 80s early 90s (I think). Never seen strength and guts like that. He had no chance & somehow got over

Learning All The Songs

has to be Wide to West .

One of my all time favourites was a full lengther that Prescott set up for Sullivan at KR v Cas in ‘94. Just sublime footwork and flick pass from Precky and sizzling pace from Sullivan to seal the deal.

It’s at 6:30 in this video, but it’s worth watching all the way through as we played some great stuff that day:

https://youtu.be/iNBLgyps0Co

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

easy to forget what a lovely RL player preccy was?
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    One of my all time favourites was a full lengther that Prescott set up for Sullivan at KR v Cas in ‘94. Just sublime footwork and flick pass from Precky and sizzling pace from Sullivan to seal the deal.

It’s at 6:30 in this video, but it’s worth watching all the way through as we played some great stuff that day:

About 10 minutes in after Sullivans hatrick, Eddie mentions about coaches not being able to stop us playing, that it comes naturally. Woolf should be made to watch that.
    Adam Fogarty side stepping, men running on to the ball and supporting the runner, great stuff.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    easy to forget what a lovely RL player preccy was?
    Not much sign there of the five drives and a kick and grind that seems to be coming back into our game plan

Got A Season Ticket

Vollenhoven's v Hunslet Premiership Final at Odsal1959. 80 yards beating man after man (and with problem hamstring!)

I was at the game and sat on the side which gave me a great view. It was a special try that was. Alan Tate announced in the week prior that Offiah could not beat him on the outside . Silly thing to say really .Tate was a great player but to say that was silly .

Joe Lydon interception for widnes 84 at Wembley

Hanley against saints 89 final was painful bit a great try

Had Prescott scored that try in the 97 cc final that would have been up there with the best

However nothing trumps wide to west for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Wide to West for me but I'm biased.

Hower, Offiah's try at Wembley when he bust through 2 defenders and went on the outside of Tait was a special effort.

Also, the Steve Jackson try for Canberra in a final late 80s early 90s (I think). Never seen strength and guts like that. He had no chance & somehow got over

Learning All The Songs

Joe Lydon's try at Old Trafford 1986 v the Aussies. So many to choose from in that mid-late 80's era though.

Banned

Billy "the one armed bandit" Benyon against Wigan at the death in the 71 Championship final. Our six fingered cousins had already broken the meat pies and bottles of red rose stout out in celebration before deflation set in and cries of cheats broke out. Some have never forgiven us. What a great journey home from Swinton.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Billy "the one armed bandit" Benyon against Wigan at the death in the 71 Championship final. Our six fingered cousins had already broken the meat pies and bottles of red rose stout out in celebration before deflation set in and cries of cheats broke out. Some have never forgiven us. What a great journey home from Swinton.
    Happy days pal
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Perhaps not my favourite but that on Sullivan scored at W***n when he done Radlinski inside out was a belter. Missed most of it live as I'd gone for a P&P, just got back up to see him score.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I was 15 that season, I lived for Saints and going to Knowsley Road. No way is RL as enjoyable as in those days days. Stood on the pop, I loved it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I was 15 that season, I lived for Saints and going to Knowsley Road. No way is RL as enjoyable as in those days days. Stood on the pop, I loved it.
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm a little younger and had just graduated from the Paddock with my Dad to the Pop with my mates. Great days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

This has got me looking through YouTube at some old Saints games. The 90s and 2000s era was special. Some of the tries we scored were spectacular. The Millward era in particular was like night and day compared to anything we see now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Benyon was in The Stork in Billinge a few months after that game. I asked him if he was offside? He replied with a wink and a big smile "The referee didn't think I was" Oh for a video referee!!!!!!

Three GB tries v Aus that stick out for me Mike Gregory, Henderson Gill (he does a bit of a boogie) and Phil Ford (he's a bit of a stepper)

Then there was the heartbreaker, Ricky Stewart for Aus v GB at Old Trafford.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 25th March 2020 at 12:27.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qujaho View Post
    Link below to vote

Wide to west is on there.

https://www.rugby-league.com/125?utm...J,70KT4,2SCE,1
    I don't know where they got this shortlist from, Wide to West and Burrows against us stand out, but there have been many better tries than some of the others. Ryan Hall's mum must have been one of those doing the choosing. Tommy Makinson 2015 magic was better than many of those.

Pure poetry from Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    Pure poetry from Prescott
    The way he sits Nikau down with that step. ‘Orgasmic’, as the great Ron Hoofe would have said.

Got A Season Ticket

Rugby from a different era and the best we will ever witness

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Anyone remember the Steve Prescott try brought the ball out from behind his goal post beat 2 defenders and then weaved his way through the rest of the opposition for what seemed to be a 110 yard try, don't think that was televised.
    That was v Cas in 1996 in McRaes first game

Barba try against Cas away was a Bobbie Dazzler and surprising rarely get spoke about .