Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever try

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

A bit off the subject of great tries, Sky have a poll on their website for greatest FB. Probably most have seen it already, but as no one has mentioned it I thought I would post the link, maybe get Wellens a few votes.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...f-super-league
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 26th March 2020 at 18:12. Reason: typo

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Barba try against Cas away was a Bobbie Dazzler and surprising rarely get spoke about .
    Neither does Regan`s against wire last season, Stef Ratchford is a quality defender he leaves him on his backside after turning him inside out, Charnley the speedy winger Sky commentators talk about can get now where near him and he gets fetched a belt in the gob off Lineham.

Got A Season Ticket

Vollenhoven, Wembley 1961

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    As a kid my dad took me to that game, and I had tears in my eyes from when Large past it back to him, I knew nobody could catch him. Hard to say whether Albert was as fast or faster, but for pace the difference between Voll and the rest of his era was the biggest I remember.

Got A Replica Shirt FW de KLERK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    Correct.

For me it was Meninga's second try against Wigoon in 1984 Lancashire Cup Final at a packed Central Park. At the time I was on strike and my Mum and Dad gave me the money not just for the game but for the session after!

Even today, I look back and only have great memories of that day and that try.

Learning All The Songs

The Vollenhoven try in the championship final against Hunslet which was never filmed but which my dad always used to tell me about .

In The South Stand

Belgian . Prinsloo was faster than Voll I believe just a bit but nobody else but that wasn't the thing that made Vollenhoven special opposition players thought they had tackled him and when they looked round he was putting the ball down behind the try line , he was magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Belgian . Prinsloo was faster than Voll I believe just a bit but nobody else but that wasn't the thing that made Vollenhoven special opposition players thought they had tackled him and when they looked round he was putting the ball down behind the try line , he was magic.
    I remember them both well. To be honest, I never thought Prinsloo was as fast as Vollenhoven but I think whoever was the fastest was a matter of individual perception. I think Albert is rated as the second fastest ever in the NRL (at least he was earlier)
    But Vol was probably never measured to the same criteria as Albert. Either way Voll was great winger, the best I have seen, and Jan prinsloo was very good. I think that Killeen who replaced Prinsloo was probably the best kicker I have ever seen. Very happy days those years.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

I Agree the Volls try in 1959 against Hunslet. Championship Final.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Billy "the one armed bandit" Benyon against Wigan at the death in the 71 Championship final. Our six fingered cousins had already broken the meat pies and bottles of red rose stout out in celebration before deflation set in and cries of cheats broke out. Some have never forgiven us. What a great journey home from Swinton.
    I was there with my best friend Jeff. We finished on the pitch talking to Cliff Watson (who was injured) while Coslett kicked the conversion to Billy's match winning Try

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A bit off the subject of great tries, Sky have a poll on their website for greatest FB. Probably most have seen it already, but as no one has mentioned it I thought I would post the link, maybe get Wellens a few votes.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...f-super-league
    I think Rouges will be missing until that link dissapears into obscurity, his Rat Boy Tomkins is at the bottom of the pile at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think Rouges will be missing until that link dissapears into obscurity, his Rat Boy Tomkins is at the bottom of the pile at the moment.
    One on for SH now with Long miles ahead. You know I haven't even missed Rogues.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...gue-scrum-half

In The South Stand

OK then Vollenhoven was the best but the best try , Steve Llewellyns ? against Barrow in the Challenge Cup semi final replay at Wigans Central Park 1956 . It was a very good game and looked as If it might be another draw until Steve got the ball in the second half and started running I cant remember how many players he beat but I think one of them he beat twice , the whole crowd clapped and I mean opposition supporters as well , the atmosphere was tremendous but that try broke the atmosphere .

One on for SH now with Long miles ahead. You know I haven't even missed Rogues.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...gue-scrum-half
    Long for me but I'd expect Burrow to be on that list. Although he did play 9 a lot as well.

Long was quality. Big game player

OK then Vollenhoven was the best but the best try , Steve Llewellyns ? against Barrow in the Challenge Cup semi final replay at Wigans Central Park 1956 . It was a very good game and looked as If it might be another draw until Steve got the ball in the second half and started running I cant remember how many players he beat but I think one of them he beat twice , the whole crowd clapped and I mean opposition supporters as well , the atmosphere was tremendous but that try broke the atmosphere .
    Before my time unfortunately. I missed some true greats.

One that doesn't get mentioned is Shane Cooper's try against Leeds in the 1992 Challenge Cup. The handling & support play was tremendous

In The South Stand

It is a long time ago and games were not Televised then but I wouldn't mind being able to see / get a copy of it , it wont happen.

Starting A Programme Collection

It is a long time ago and games were not Televised then but I wouldn't mind being able to see / get a copy of it , it wont happen.
    If only there was some film record of some of the tries Vollenhove scored, apart from some scratchy black and white Pathe News covereage on You Tube That was when Rugby League was at its best, the roar of the crowd and the anticiptaion that something special was going to happen when players like Vollenhoven, Boston and co., were given the ball in open play. I know it was another era and forwards weren't expected to chase and tackle backs but to see players sidestep the opposition instead of brute force or using dummy runners made it so much more entertaining. I was lucky enough to sit next to Vollenhoven at one of the functions when Knowsley Road closed. I confess I was absolutely tongue tied as he laboriously autographed menus to a queue of middle aged and elderly fans, each clearly signed with his complete and full name, not just a squiggle, after he finally finished and his dinner had gone cold I dug out two programmes I'd kept for years when he'd scored six tries, Blackpool Borough and Shape Indians (an American forces side) and asked him if he'd mind signing them and did he remember the games, he just smiled and said not really, I just loved playing the game. His final game at Hull K R when both teams lined up to applaud him on and off the pitch and the reception that the opposition supporters gave him cheering him to the rafters will last in my memory for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The Vollenhoven try in the championship final against Hunslet which was never filmed but which my dad always used to tell me about .
    The try was filmed. The week after the final Eddie Waring came to the town hall with his Roadshow. He showed clips from the 1958 tour of Australia. But he also showed clips from the match we had all come to see, the Championship final against Hunslet. That first Vollenhoven try which changed the game brought the house down. I would love to see it again. It is hidden away somewhere, either at the BBC or with the family of Eddie Waring.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Fastest ? everybody had to work really hard to run fast - Vollenhoven just 'floated'.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Fastest ? everybody had to work really hard to run fast - Vollenhoven just 'floated'.
    He did look as though his feet hardly touched the ground, especially when he sidestepped.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    The try was filmed. The week after the final Eddie Waring came to the town hall with his Roadshow. He showed clips from the 1958 tour of Australia. But he also showed clips from the match we had all come to see, the Championship final against Hunslet. That first Vollenhoven try which changed the game brought the house down. I would love to see it again. It is hidden away somewhere, either at the BBC or with the family of Eddie Waring.
    The late Ron Hoofe told me Eddie Warirings son had it

In The South Stand

He did look as though his feet hardly touched the ground, especially when he sidestepped.
    I’d pick the 1961 Cup Final Vollenhoven try because:

1. It is one of my best memories of any game and that was my first trip to Wembley;

2. It was real teamwork between Voll and Large. They both ran like the wind but the timing of the passes was impeccable.

I’m afraid that memory is a funny thing and highly selective and that try just stands out. Funnily, another one that stands out was the game against Wigan at Langtree Park (my memory won’t tell me the year) when Tommy Makinson had dropped back, caught the ball on the full and ran like the wind making fools of two defenders. He was tackled but the Wigan defence was not set and Joe Greenwood scored. For some reason I love that try. It was the game where Pat Richards kicked an amazing drop goal.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 23rd April 2020 at 12:38. Reason: P. S. And Wide to West.

In The South Stand

Maybe I should have thought of the word floated instead of magic but whatever word of greatness you used about Vollenhoven it would not be good enough people who can say they have watched players like that are lucky , I watched most .

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’d pick the 1961 Cup Final Vollenhoven try because:

1. It is one of my best memories of any game and that was my first trip to Wembley;

2. It was real teamwork between Voll and Large. They both ran like the wind but the timing of the passes was impeccable.

I’m afraid that memory is a funny thing and highly selective and that try just stands out. Funnily, another one that stands out was the game against Wigan at Langtree Park (my memory won’t tell me the year) when Tommy Makinson had dropped back, caught the ball on the full and ran like the wind making fools of two defenders. He was tackled but the Wigan defence was not set and Joe Greenwood scored. For some reason I love that try. It was the game where Pat Richards kicked an amazing drop goal.
    I picked the 61 try for the same reasons you did, the sheer emotion when those two were running down the right and seeing Voll score in my first time at Wembley, something I'll never forget. With regard to TM his try at Magic, I think 3 years ago, has to up there as one of the best Solo efforts for a try.