Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could it happen?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think it’s becoming very apparent that a lot of sports teams (excluding the big premier league football teams) are in real danger of going under over the next few months.

Professional sport could be in a mess if this shut down lasts months. As a follower of cricket, the county game in this country will fold if they lose a whole season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I actually think that most will get through this.
    Before CV, the clubs that had financial problems didn't get a whole lot of help from the State, went into administration, and had points docked etc, by their sporting governing bodies. Basically, they were 'weeded out'.
    This is very different. All businesses, with very few exceptions, are in the same boat. The rules have changed, and it's in everyone's interest to keep these businesses going once we're over this crisis.

I posted earlier on this thread, but I'm going to repeat this.
    I would like to see the RFL come out and say that they will support, rather than punish, any club with financial difficulties, until we get to the other side of this.

Banned

I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The history of our sport dictates that.

Got A Season Ticket

If the season is postponed for a long time, which seems inevitable, i wonder when the GF would be played? Not that its important as health always must come first

In The South Stand

There are countries in the world that will not allow the two words Rugby and League to be put together.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I mentioned quite a few years back that the future could be a hybrid game and the current circumstances might make the codes to consider one, but Union would have the upper hand in the UK wanting to keep the money generator of the 6 nations.

The other options are to go part time but that would hammer the clubs that have put the effort in to provide higher standards of the new stadiums, the likes of Wakefield, Castleford and maybe Hull K R would benefit because they don't rely on off pitch revenue streams.
    I have also posted over the years about the TV money bringing in a Hybrid Rugby based around Cities and Large Towns, the promotion relegation in Superleague was a diabolical situation with the promoted club being left with the discarded players from the relegated teams whilst the other teams had sorted out their recruitment well before it was known who would be promoted/relegated. A lot of the age old Rugby League teams will go to the wall whilst throwing money at Toronto and any other place in the world who wants to get involved.
    The Split with SL from the RFL caused a lot of resentment and ill feeling and RL is on the brink the SL will have to go for the £ and jump to the tune of BT & SKY into whatever format suits both parties.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The history of our sport dictates that.
    This. One or the other for me, not that I would pay to watch Union.

With no live sport to show, how many people will cancel their SKY subscription? If the money stops coming in, it will stop going out. Cutbacks will be inevitable.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_h View Post
    With no live sport to show, how many people will cancel their SKY subscription? If the money stops coming in, it will stop going out. Cutbacks will be inevitable.
    I’ve paused my subscription. Don’t really want to watch old games you can get on You Tube anyway. No doubt I will “unpause” when all this is over

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I’ve paused my subscription. Don’t really want to watch old games you can get on You Tube anyway. No doubt I will “unpause” when all this is over
    Needless to say, anyone who didn't know about this option should get on it right now. It's a no-lose deal, you pause your Sky Sports subscription but you can still watch the Sky Sports channels in the meantime. Not much on there admittedly, but some decent sports documentaries and old games of various sports.

End of the day, pausing the sub could save a decent wedge of cash if this goes on for several months.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/pause-sky-sports

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This. One or the other for me, not that I would pay to watch Union.
    Not sure how this would work anyway unless union clubs merged with SL clubs, and there were significant rule changes. IE we would have no players big enough to jump in lineouts, with the possible exception of Walmsley at the tail end of the line. AW is also probably the only one big enough to play in the back row of the pack, though he may not have the pace and mobility needed. None of our payers AW included are big enough for any other pack positions. Generally throughout the team we would be too small, unless the hybrid looked significantly like league. Most Union forwards would be too cumbersome for league, so I don't see them wanting to adapt to rule changes. Also this might be an opportunity for some RU clubs to let big contracts run out, there is no shortage of lower grade union players to fill the gaps. The level may be lower but if clubs decided they wanted to go this way it could be the same for all of them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Same here, fair play to Sky.

Banned

Not sure how this would work anyway unless union clubs merged with SL clubs, and there were significant rule changes. IE we would have no players big enough to jump in lineouts, with the possible exception of Walmsley at the tail end of the line. AW is also probably the only one big enough to play in the back row of the pack, though he may not have the pace and mobility needed. None of our payers AW included are big enough for any other pack positions. Generally throughout the team we would be too small, unless the hybrid looked significantly like league. Most Union forwards would be too cumbersome for league, so I don't see them wanting to adapt to rule changes. Also this might be an opportunity for some RU clubs to let big contracts run out, there is no shortage of lower grade union players to fill the gaps. The level may be lower but if clubs decided they wanted to go this way it could be the same for all of them.
    I agree, 2 different games played with the same ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    There are countries in the world that will not allow the two words Rugby and League to be put together.
    I’m confident we are one of them......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

The only joining of codes would be if RL clubs were "invited" to join the RU game.
    This would just result in more RU clubs in the North of England and In Australia.
    There would be no Hybrid game, there would be no call for it in the rest of the countries that play RU

In The South Stand

The good thing about having the two codes is that between them they give people with a big range of body types a chance to play, particularly at an amateur level.

I don’t think a hybrid game would be an option. Both sides are too entrenched and believe they have the better game. There could be some coming together at 7s/9s but I don’t think I could watch too much of that type of rugby.

Unless sport receives financial help I can see RL, RU, Soccer and cricket teams going under. Sports may have to grow again from their grass roots. I used to watch a semi-professional sport without for one minute considering that it might be an inferior product. We haven’t been fully professional for that long.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 23rd March 2020 at 20:41. Reason: a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The good thing about having the two codes is that between them they give people with a big range of body types to play, particularly at an amateur level.

I don’t think a hybrid game would be an option. Both sides are too entrenched and believe they have the better game. There could be some coming together at 7s/9s but I don’t think I could watch too much of that type of rugby.

Unless sport receives financial help I can see RL, RU, Soccer and cricket teams going under. Sports may have to grow again from their grass roots. I used to watch a semi-professional sport without for one minute considering that it might be an inferior product. We haven’t been fully professional for that long.
    Look at the team we had in 66 and they were only semi pro. I'm not saying that I would like to go back to that, but we still had some great semi pro players.

Look at the team we had in 66 and they were only semi pro. I'm not saying that I would like to go back to that, but we still had some great semi pro players.
    We will come back to a different world. Clubs that survive will largely be semi pro.

Even big money pro sports will have a reality check.

Salaries will come down for everyone to pay for the hiatus.

In The South Stand

The 1966 team is probably the last team, because I was 16 then, that I last looked on as a bunch of heroes. Meanwhile, at West Park School, their coach (Joe Coan) was coaching RU.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 23rd March 2020 at 20:36. Reason: School for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    We will come back to a different world. Clubs that survive will largely be semi pro.

Even big money pro sports will have a reality check.

Salaries will come down for everyone to pay for the hiatus.
    Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people realise how serious this is. I think you are totally correct.

Elstone is confident all 12 top-flight will survive? But he admits that the clubs are looking at 'Furloughing' for staff, players ECT.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-unpaid-leave

Learning All The Songs

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people realise how serious this is. I think you are totally correct.
    I don’t think we will see a hybrid but this could be an extinction event with some clubs switching to union or going back to amateur or part time professionals. I don’t think we have 12 financially viable clubs now never mind 6 month from now

In The South Stand

Sadly if it continues I concur with what's been said earlier. We will largely go back to being a semi pro sport and most of the players will be local lads from the area. When you look at the Saints team of 1984/5 season the majority were local lads with the exception of Meninga, Vievers and a few others such as Tony Burke. Peter Gorley from Yorkshire and Cumbria. I think that's what we could be back to largely across the sport.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I don’t think we will see a hybrid but this could be an extinction event with some clubs switching to union or going back to amateur or part time professionals. I don’t think we have 12 financially viable clubs now never mind 6 month from now
    This was my initial thoughts.. Now I'm not sure it'd work going to Union, I mean given a choice of watching Saints play Union or not all I'd probably pick the latter, I don't think RL fans would go for it. If this goes on for months I can see all player contracts being terminated making them free agents, the best players could go to NRL or Union with the rest signing up for semi professional RL clubs. SL clubs and a few Championship clubs would be viable but many lower league clubs would end up amateur.
    It could be a chance to rebuild the sport from negative circumstances of course but necessary. Who knows what will happen but I can see far less Antipodeans being in SL after this. From a Sky point of view its all about the product on the field, go back and watch a game from 91-95 and judge for yourself whether that was more entertaining than now.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Sadly if it continues I concur with what's been said earlier. We will largely go back to being a semi pro sport and most of the players will be local lads from the area. When you look at the Saints team of 1984/5 season the majority were local lads with the exception of Meninga, Vievers and a few others such as Tony Burke. Peter Gorley from Yorkshire and Cumbria. I think that's what we could be back to largely across the sport.
    Back in the days of semi pro we could still attract good players from outside the area, Wales etc. The difference between then and now, is that in those days the players very often were given a job or a pub, as well as a part time salary. Now most pubs and many jobs are gone. In addition RU was amateur, so that made rich pickings for us.