Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: For next season?

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I think he might be tempted if we offered him a year or two, don't know how that would affect residency rules etc if he wanted to stay in Oz but I'm sure he'll retire there and who could blame him.
    Would love to see him with a contract for a couple of seasons Paul , one thing does come to mind is when the NRL season is over he does seem to come back over and many have seen him out in Liverpool enjoying himself , came across him last year myself one Sunday afternoon , didn't notice him at first he looked so much bigger than when he was scoring at the 2nd post down at the 'Eddy' end .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

https://www.totalrl.com/graham-heading-back-to-saints/

Call me a sentimental old devil but I'd love this, and I actually reckon he'd do a job for us.

I thought he was happy in Aus & isn't looking to come back?

I'm not convinced anyway. Great player but he's 35 in September after getting bashed about for 9 seasons in the NRL on top of carrying our pack for a season or 2 before he left

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

I'm not convinced anyway. Great player but he's 35 in September after getting bashed about for 9 seasons in the NRL on top of carrying our pack for a season or 2 before he left
    No reason he can't go back there. I'd be happy to give him a year and see how he went. I don't think he'd come back if he thought he'd make a pigs ear of it.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

He won't be the player he was before he left doing 60plus minutes a game but he'll still be a fantastic signing for us. Kylie Leuluai, Jamie Peacock, Adrian Morley all played into their late 30s and a good standard, there is no reason to suggest Graham won't.

The standards and expectations Graham will bring to the club, and his influence on the younger players will be just as valuable as his performances on the pitch.

Banned

Just one season of James and Jammer before they both call it a day. It would be good folks.

In The South Stand

I remember going to KR to watch the academy which you got for free as a season ticket holder Wilkin was playing his first game but when I came home I phoned my mate up who I used to go with I said I have just been to watch this new player to see how he shapes but there is a tall ginger haired lad running through everybody and scored 2 tries , that was Graham but the clock has ticked a lot since then .

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    He won't be the player he was before he left doing 60plus minutes a game but he'll still be a fantastic signing for us. Kylie Leuluai, Jamie Peacock, Adrian Morley all played into their late 30s and a good standard, there is no reason to suggest Graham won't.

The standards and expectations Graham will bring to the club, and his influence on the younger players will be just as valuable as his performances on the pitch.
    Yeah you make a good point to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No reason he can't go back there. I'd be happy to give him a year and see how he went. I don't think he'd come back if he thought he'd make a pigs ear of it.
    Yes very true. Do a year & put his feet up for a bit in The Shire

Yes very true. Do a year & put his feet up for a bit in The Shire
    Why take him back , left us and thought he was bigger than the club in his prime years , he will probably come back if there are no other offers in the nrl

Quote Originally Posted by cookie310876 View Post
    Why take him back , left us and thought he was bigger than the club in his prime years , he will probably come back if there are no other offers in the nrl
    In the week our sport had to go cap in hand to government , what is your point. The only man who has been made rich from the game in this country is Nigel Wood. The gap between the NRL and Superleague is larger than ever. Jammer made a good choice leaving when he did. You feel sorry for Roby for not doing the same. Given how big Hodgson has been how well could Roby have done.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post

Yep, I think he’s past his international days but this is Super League not Test rugby. Even if he was 7/10 his impact in the dressing room and on training standards would be huge.

Regarding Jammer next year. He isn't the player he was but Peacock was still worth while at a similar age. It all depends how much money he wants. We will have a big Thompson shaped hole next year. Jammer plus a young prospect would lessen the blow.

In short, I would rather he get three year on Amor money than one on Thompsons
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 4th May 2020 at 21:02.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    In the week our sport had to go cap in hand to government , what is your point. The only man who has been made rich from the game in this country is Nigel Wood. The gap between the NRL and Superleague is larger than ever. Jammer made a good choice leaving when he did. You feel sorry for Roby for not doing the same. Given how big Hodgson has been how well could Roby have done.
    He is obviously trolling for a bite Noel.

Which is unfortunately how it works. More money & a better standard. If I was in his position at the time, I'd have gone as well.

I don’t quite get your point either , what’s roby got to do with this.?,

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Which is unfortunately how it works. More money & a better standard. If I was in his position at the time, I'd have gone as well.
    Of course. I don't blame any player for going to test themselves in Aus and the increased salary it brings. I also think it's better for the parent club to let them go a year or so before the end of their contract and get a transfer fee, particularly if their youth system continues to produce players of the required Superleague standard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Of course. I don't blame any player for going to test themselves in Aus and the increased salary it brings. I also think it's better for the parent club to let them go a year or so before the end of their contract and get a transfer fee, particularly if their youth system continues to produce players of the required Superleague standard.
    I agree.

That’s the one thing that’s annoyed me about the Thompson move. We’ve invested a lot of time and money into his development and haven’t got any transfer fee to soften the blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding Jammer next year. He isn't the player he was but Peacock was still worth while at a similar age. It all depends how much money he wants. We will have a big Thompson shaped hole next year. Jammer plus a young prospect would lessen the blow.

In short, I would rather he get three year on Amor money than one on Thompsons
    could you expand on the amounts please?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

If (big 'if') he comes back, is there any mileage in a coaching/trainer career at the club for him?
    I know we've been there before with other former stars, but you never know!

Banned

Being realistic Jammer will come for three reasons: Money of course. To play a final season with James: To do a season gig at Langtree. It would perhaps close a circle for him before he retires to Manly Beach and perhaps forgets about RL or becomes a pundit for FOX. This move if it happened would be frankly MEGA

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    If (big 'if') he comes back, is there any mileage in a coaching/trainer career at the club for him?
    I know we've been there before with other former stars, but you never know!
    Possibly Kentish I don't know. Certainly an interesting point.

I just thought he was happy in Australia & had no plans to come back. But as Dave says, a year or 2 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Is his wife Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Being realistic Jammer will come for three reasons: Money of course. To play a final season with James: To do a season gig at Langtree. It would perhaps close a circle for him before he retires to Manly Beach and perhaps forgets about RL or becomes a pundit for FOX. This move if it happened would be frankly MEGA
    He could play as a ball playing 13

Oh yeah what's a reputation comment?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I think these comments are really unfair- at the time you're talking about, he was virtually carrying the team on his own! Can you blame him for wanting to leave? The players have a short career and he's made the most of his, proving himself as one of the best players of his generation in SL & the NRL.

The reality is... he's still good enough to play NRL & so is more than capable of doing a job for St Helens to see out his playing days. A ball playing forward role, the role which Paulo was signed to do, would suit him perfectly. Gareth Ellis is another example of a player who demonstrated he was still capable, even in his late 30's. He's still playing isn't he?

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

It's a no from me, I'm afraid. The romanticist in me wants nothing more than Jammer getting the opportunity to play at LP for us but he's going to be 35 by the time the next competition is due to start and he's had ten or so years of batter in the NRL, which is going to have taken its toll and considering what he'd request wage wise, which would be marquee level, I can't really see why it would be a good deal, even for a year.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club