Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: saints tv. absoute classic.

Starting A Programme Collection

Default saints tv. absoute classic.

Vintage game of rugby not to be missed if you have access to Saints tv. Best for Saints was Longy and wingman Smith. for Leeds their entire pack was physically a formidable force that ran hard throughout (despite Morley being red carded in the first minute)which gave them plenty of go forward. Stand out feature was the continual moaning and complaining by messrs Daryl Powell and Iestyn Harris. The other downside was the rather poor quality micron video which was made bearably better by Ron Hoofes commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Vintage game of rugby not to be missed if you have access to Saints tv. Best for Saints was Longy and wingman Smith. for Leeds their entire pack was physically a formidable force that ran hard throughout (despite Morley being red carded in the first minute)which gave them plenty of go forward. Stand out feature was the continual moaning and complaining by messrs Daryl Powell and Iestyn Harris. The other downside was the rather poor quality micron video which was made bearably better by Ron Hoofes commentary.
    Was that when Morley sparked Davidson?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

That was a quality game. Chris Smith hat trick IIRC. I could be wrong but was that Hanleys first game back returning from that suspension??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Was that when Morley sparked Davidson?

Certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    That was a quality game. Chris Smith hat trick IIRC. I could be wrong but was that Hanleys first game back returning from that suspension??
    Spot on mate. The year was 1999

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Spot on mate. The year was 1999
    Yeh i thought so pal. I think that game ended an impressive run of wins for Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Watched it last night thought it was a quality game against the Leeds Head Hunters and Russell Smith really struggled to control the discipline in the 2 sides. I think that game and afterwards Wellens established himself in the side.

Learning All The Songs

Watched it fandabbydoesy.

A couple of points:
    Oh for a team with proper centres, Newlove just looked dangerous every time he got the ball, boy was that man hard to tackle
    Leeds were one dirty team of snide cheap shots
    Andy Hay never like him , now realise why
    Oh and how fed up did our ‘director of Rugby’ look at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Watched it fandabbydoesy.

A couple of points:
    Oh for a team with proper centres, Newlove just looked dangerous every time he got the ball, boy was that man hard to tackle
    Leeds were one dirty team of snide cheap shots
    Andy Hay never like him , now realise why
    Oh and how fed up did our ‘director of Rugby’ look at the end of the game.
    Newlove might not be the best player I've ever seen at Saints but, along with Tommy Martyn, he's my favourite. Made the game look easy and made his opposite numbers look ridiculous for not being able to play this easy game.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Newlove might not be the best player I've ever seen at Saints but, along with Tommy Martyn, he's my favourite. Made the game look easy and made his opposite numbers look ridiculous for not being able to play this easy game.
    Got to agree. Newlove and Lyon are the best centres I've ever seen at Saints, even including Mighty Mal!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Got to agree. Newlove and Lyon are the best centres I've ever seen at Saints, even including Mighty Mal!

Agree too, newlove was brilliant in the early superleague years, in 1996 for example he scored 36 tries in 28 matches, Sullivan scored 23.. in the first four superleague seasons we scored 196 tries down that side

I doubt there are many centre wing partnerships that scored so many in a year. Even last year when we totally dominated, we had 34 down the left, 46 down the right (with 10 extra games)

Newlove always looked likes he never got up to full pace such was his style, but he was very quick, had a brilliant step and was strong too. A complete centre

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Agree too, newlove was brilliant in the early superleague years, in 1996 for example he scored 36 tries in 28 matches, Sullivan scored 23.. in the first four superleague seasons we scored 196 tries down that side

I doubt there are many centre wing partnerships that scored so many in a year. Even last year when we totally dominated, we had 34 down the left, 46 down the right (with 10 extra games)

Newlove always looked likes he never got up to full pace such was his style, but he was very quick, had a brilliant step and was strong too. A complete centre
    Throw in Joynt on that edge too, who used to score a fair few for a second rower, and it was a joy to watch.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post

Those two followed by Walsh. No doubt Mal was a great player, but he was only here for one season and probably wasn't at his peak then.

Newlove was my favourite player when i was a kid. So fast for a big bloke. He didn’t even do weights. He was just a natural. Really light on his feet for such a big man!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Newlove was my favourite player when i was a kid. So fast for a big bloke. He didn’t even do weights. He was just a natural. Really light on his feet for such a big man!!
    Newlove remains my favourite all time player. Loved watching him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Newlove remains my favourite all time player. Loved watching him.

I knew he had grace and could ghost past defenders as if they weren’t there, but this game showed the other side of his game how he was so awkward to tackle, he would just step out of the the first contact and get his arms free. Leeds tried to do a job on him and he have zero space, but how many centres today would be able to set up Sully’s try

In the greatest saints team of all time its a Newlove and Lyon in the centres and arguments about the other positions .

Learning All The Songs

There’s another Leeds Saints game, Ester Monday 1995 I think. When there scoring team kicked off