Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call to Arms - Eamonn, etc

Got A Replica Shirt

Leeds streaming Leeds vs Saints from 1997 here if you fancy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA72St6iWoI

Nice of Saints to say match tickets for Leeds are still valid for when the game is played. Whenever that is.

Rather have my money back thanks

Banned

I have just been shopping to Booths in Knutsford and talk about depressing, the panic buying this morning cleared the place out. I personally am worried about how our game comes back from this. The diehards will always go but how many diehards are there? Without getting into mine is bigger than yours lets say Saints, Leeds and Wigan have six thousand the rest are welcome additions who if they break the habit just stop going full stop. RL and lower league soccer could really have to move to part time status, with lower league RL ending up on the amateur club pitches. I do feel this full season could end up as a farcical August/September/October desperately getting some cash in the coffers and putting on a Grand Final somewhere at some time in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I have just been shopping to Booths in Knutsford and talk about depressing, the panic buying this morning cleared the place out. I personally am worried about how our game comes back from this. The diehards will always go but how many diehards are there? Without getting into mine is bigger than yours lets say Saints, Leeds and Wigan have six thousand the rest are welcome additions who if they break the habit just stop going full stop. RL and lower league soccer could really have to move to part time status, with lower league RL ending up on the amateur club pitches. I do feel this full season could end up as a farcical August/September/October desperately getting some cash in the coffers and putting on a Grand Final somewhere at some time in 2020.
    You could well be right. A flipside to that, I suppose, is that by the time measures are lifted and the game comes back people will be desperate to get out and do things so you could actually see a surge in attendances. The best years for RL crowd-wise were the years after the break for WWII (I know the two events are not comparable, but I think that is the last time the game had to shut down like this).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Not sure about Elstone's statement yesterday saying "all clubs want to protect their home games and that is a priority" Does that mean they are looking at scrapping the play offs and the cup. Be just our luck to have first past the post champions, when we look nowhere near.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not sure about Elstone's statement yesterday saying "all clubs want to protect their home games and that is a priority" Does that mean they are looking at scrapping the play offs and the cup. Be just our luck to have first past the post champions, when we look nowhere near.
    I don’t think that will be the case the Grand Finsl is a major money spinner. Perhaps 1st v 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Nice of Saints to say match tickets for Leeds are still valid for when the game is played. Whenever that is.

Rather have my money back thanks
    Indeed. Worse than that had e mail saying Air Transat flights are suspended until April 30th. No refund but appear to be offering "credit" valid for 2 years. Hoping Toronto stay up then!!

Credit where it’s due: this is a nice initiative from the RFL:

https://twitter.com/therfl/status/12...004596227?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Indeed. Worse than that had e mail saying Air Transat flights are suspended until April 30th. No refund but appear to be offering "credit" valid for 2 years. Hoping Toronto stay up then!!
    Well that puts mine into perspective. That for the Toronto trip?

See this is the problem, businesses now trying every which way to keep the cash in

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Kudos to Warrington they just have announced that they are to continue their policy of not attempting to win the Grand final to minimise travel for fans.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by scouse don View Post
    kudos to warrington they just have announced that they are to continue their policy of not attempting to win the grand final to minimise travel for fans.

Learning All The Songs

Video interview with McManus here...
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/03/1...es-supporters/

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    It could affect Leeds more than any other club. They have gone heavily into debt for the stadium rebuild.
    They rely a lot on their corporate income from renting out their conference facilities etc in the weektime. It's probable that these will now be closed for a while.

As for Wigan hopefully it won't be that bad as we only pay 10% of our gate receipts to the stadium owners on a match by match basis and have no ongoing costs inside the stadium, that's been moved to Robin Park.

Time will tell I suppose. I'm expecting some clubs to ask/need for an advance on their sky money.
    Statement from Hetherington.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....income-2525642

Learning All The Songs

Some more from Herr Hetherington here...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52122586

Including what to me seems an odd take on player welfare. Apparently players backing up with three games weekly to complete the season is a performance issue not a welfare one.

I can only assume this would be in order to get the Sky money in as quickly as possible while I’m sure attendances would be low with those people not having season tickets being unwilling to pay to watch 2-3 games a week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post

Including what to me seems an odd take on player welfare. Apparently players backing up with three games weekly to complete the season is a performance issue not a welfare one.
    He realy is an idiot

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't know why the bloke is first to cry wolf when his team have played most of their games at home with 4 home games out of 5 matches, surely during this lockdown they would have been playing more away games. In comparison Saints have only had 2 games at home from 6 super league matches so far.

If Hetherington wants to play 3 games a week and puts pressure on the RFL, then let them having a Wednesday fixture in Toronto.

If we just play later on in the season on a home and away basis of 22 games, maybe we can gain an advantage and possibly Hetherington might not like that despite having league points "in the bank" at the moment.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 2nd April 2020 at 16:05.

Utter clown

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=Private Pyle;789521]Some more from Herr Hetherington here...

Including what to me seems an odd take on player welfare. Apparently players backing up with three games weekly to complete the season is a performance issue not a welfare one.[/QUOTE

I think he is losing the plot if he hadn't lost it already. There's simply no way clubs will be able to play three games a week. Apart from the logistics of sorting it all out players would soon be knackered, burnt out and injured. Back in the day it was common for midweek games to be played prior to SL when Lancashire Cup, John Player Trophy and Challenge Cup replays were held but it was in an age of a less commercial world and when the intensity and style of Rugby was completely different. Even asking clubs to play twice a week creates real difficulties especially for player fatigue, injuries and welfare. Gates would still be down as not everyone especially season ticket holders could make every game.