Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: McManus issues warning

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Default McManus issues warning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51905897

Grim warning about the impact of the virus on our sport from Eamonn - let's hope all clubs survive the coming weeks / months.......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

If we see a couple of months without rugby I think it’s inevitable we’ll see some clubs really struggle badly and perhaps fall over without serious support.

Very worrying time for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's definitely right, big big risk to some of the teams in SL, and even more so at the lower levels that rely on the match day money just to keep them ticking over.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It's a massive issue, and I'm not sure how we'll overcome it really as this will mean either a shortened season or games behind closed doors, both of which mean a loss of income. Behind closed doors is probably the better option as Sky will not be able to haggle for refunds over games they were unable to screen, but the loss of corporate income and matchday revenue (combined with season ticket part-refunds) will be big for all clubs.

Sky stepped in to screen the game yesterday as it obviously suited them to have a live game on a blank Sunday afternoon, but it worries me that this situation will lead to them having more influence over the sport if we are even more desperate for money following all of this. Ralph Rimmer is quoted in The Times this morning saying “Sky’s funding of the sport is obviously fundamental. Sky have significant contractual control over the structure of Super League and Championship. In addition, the sport needs to be seen as a good partner [and attractive proposition] as we enter the key period for broadcast negotiations.” Imagine how much more grovelling and desperate he will sound in a few months if we have a shut down, and how Sky will react to that when reaching for the chequebook.

In The South Stand

Worrying. Just shows how weak a foundation a lot of sports teams and companies in general are. A month of no trading would cancel most companies these days, including a lot of major multinationals. The fact the airlines are crying poverty already is ridiculous, but it's the modern world we live in.

I know it's harsh, but the players are going to have to take a pay sacrifice to save the clubs if the sport is unable to continue for a few months.

Still think Greta Thunderburg is behind all this somehow.

Learning All The Songs

Oh how the establishment would love this to finally see orff rugby league in this country. Although Boris seams to like his new friends on the north so something might happen.

(And if he stops Liverpool winning the title he could be PM for life )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's a massive issue, and I'm not sure how we'll overcome it really as this will mean either a shortened season or games behind closed doors, both of which mean a loss of income. Behind closed doors is probably the better option as Sky will not be able to haggle for refunds over games they were unable to screen, but the loss of corporate income and matchday revenue (combined with season ticket part-refunds) will be big for all clubs.

Sky stepped in to screen the game yesterday as it obviously suited them to have a live game on a blank Sunday afternoon, but it worries me that this situation will lead to them having more influence over the sport if we are even more desperate for money following all of this. Ralph Rimmer is quoted in The Times this morning saying “Sky’s funding of the sport is obviously fundamental. Sky have significant contractual control over the structure of Super League and Championship. In addition, the sport needs to be seen as a good partner [and attractive proposition] as we enter the key period for broadcast negotiations.” Imagine how much more grovelling and desperate he will sound in a few months if we have a shut down, and how Sky will react to that when reaching for the chequebook.
    Unfortunately for Rimmer his days of being fondled by Sky behind the shed for a pittance are over. SL and Elstone own contracting rights for subsequent TV deals. Rimmer can try and pine over Sky all he likes but reality is they are one of other broadcasting companies bidding for rights.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 16th March 2020 at 15:54.

Banned

Different code but La Rochelle have already had to put their entire staff and squad on "technical unemployment"; it seems to be a French term but from what I understand, it is similar to a temporary lay off; because they can't afford to pay wages whilst rugby union is suspended in France. They wouldn't be an "institution" in the French rugby union scene but they are a Top 14 club and despite the money in that competition, seem to already be in trouble.