Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woolf - Is he the right man?

Learning All The Songs

After two poor league performances running perhaps one of the superstars need dropping to give them a kick up the arse they need. I’d say either LMS & Peyroux neither are standing out.

Learning All The Songs

Woolfs style of rugby is shite we've gone back 3-4 seasons, boring to watch very predictable in attack. Our Centres and wingers have to come inside to get hold of the ball. utter rubbish.

WWE Rugby League is boring Woolfy and will get you sacked, watch games from last year get us playing with a smile on our faces and you'll see the reward.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Im not going to comment on Woolf just yet but i do wonder how much we're missing Sean Long.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Possibly pal. However, its hard to imagine that a team that wins the league by 16 points can’t string together 2 passes the following season. You don’t become so terrible overnight. I could be completely wrong but the team just doesn’t look happy. We aren’t noted for being an indisciplined side. Yesterday was frustration from the players. The rant from Scarsbrook at HT was strange. For whatever reason the players just look pi***d off.
    Whether its Woolf or something else has gone on at the club ive no clue but the team just look fed up and are letting it be known IMO.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    After the dour years of Brown, Simmonds and Cunningham, Holhrook just got it. He spent the time getting to know the club and the town and the history of the place. He changed the club from top to bottom, putting back what made us great.
    I think Holbrook is the biggest issue. He was the perfect coach for Saints. Same as Millward, he just got it, and whoever followed was going to struggle. It will be interesting to see if Holbrook can adapt his style to the NRL or whether he will be far too entertaining for their dismal style. It’s always going to be a problem for Saints to recruit a coach who fits, certainly from Aus. Maybe Ian Watson would have been a far better bet. Either way, Woolf never will be, and it’s now down to E McM and Rush to when to put him out of his misery. I don’t think it will drag on for as long as Cunningham.

Learning All The Songs

I agree. He isn’t right and should go quickly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Fair point this, he’s also picking the same players when there’s clearly an issue with form of some of them. Anyone in the squad not getting a fair crack as they might see it must be tugging their hair out. Why are they in the squad if he’s no intention of shuffling the pack? He doesn’t seem to be an inclusive coach as Holbrook was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I totally agree. Some of his decisions so far have been baffling, none more so than Knowles at centre. I assume you're referring to him persisting with Welsby? Again, i agree. He looks very low on confidence and a good man manager would have taken him out of the firing line by now.

Woolf has a lot of questions that he needs to find answers to and quick. But the senior players need to step up, some of their performances are way below what we've come to expect from them. It seems like a perfect storm at the minute with injuries, new tactics, a coach making strange decisions, players out of form and a few defeats.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Well this has turned into a thoroughly embarrassing thread.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Why? People are allowed an opinion on what they see.

Starting A Programme Collection

Jesus give the guy a chance. We’re 6 games into the season and people want him gone.

We’ve had a very disruptive start to the season with injuries and the world club challenge game which incidentally I think has took a lot out of us. Whether it’s complacency or a lack of intensity I’m not too sure but we have looked flat since the Roosters game.

People just expect us to turn up and win every game but sport isn’t like that and history tells you that teams tend to struggle a little the year after they’ve won a comp.

Let’s at least give him a full season before we start calling for his head.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I started the "Your Take on KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 Games" thread because I had a feeling this was coming as we started to look a completely different team from last year. The players don't look happy and are not working for one another with the exception of the Roosters game. We seem to be two teams at the moment, a set of forwards and a set of backs, Coote looked a bit better in the second half but overall our whole back line are coming up with too many dumb plays.

In the short term Woolf is really struggling in all departments its going too be very tough on him but he definitely needs to change our attacking structure before he gets blinkered and stuck in a rut like Cunningham.
    Speaking with someone who has a bit of knowledge on the club last night; he said Holbrook was all about mental toughness and belief, whereas Woolf has focused on grinding out results via the defence. Hopefully a sit down chat with Rush and Eammon will see his focus switch.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Speaking with someone who has a bit of knowledge on the club last night; he said Holbrook was all about mental toughness and belief, whereas Woolf has focused on grinding out results via the defence. Hopefully a sit down chat with Rush and Eammon will see his focus switch.
    wasn't much defence on show yesterday

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    wasn't much defence on show yesterday
    Before yesterday, our defence had not dropped below 92% for successful tackles. Yesterday was just a bad day all round.

He's not been there long enough to make this much difference from last season. It's 100% on the players, the poor start to the season

Probably a case of them climbing the mountain and now they are resting at the top

The Roosters game shows that there is still a good team there once they pull their finger out, they can't just pine for Holbrook all year

In The South Stand

He’s had a free hit until now, he now needs to show he can settle the team down and make the right decision at left centre.

But talk of sacking him? I mean, seriously.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Why, the majority of people are coming up with the same viewpoints, the LMS rant in the dressing room with Woolf alongside side him as a nodding donkey was embarrassing, I don't want to see that again. The question is are we going to get worse before we get better.

Myself I'm not at the point of saying we should get rid, yes we should give him more time but he must sense by now that his defensive strategy is not working and its also at the expense of our attacking line speed. We've become very much a one man attacking team at the moment via Lomax, the likes of Fages and Naiqama are pretty poor in their decision making and you could say a lot of the team look a bit lost in most of the game plan. Hopefully Coote will address some of the issues but we really need everyone on the same hymn sheet from the players to the coaches to get some reasonable attacking structure back.

Hopefully the forced break in fixtures might be coming at the right time for Woolf so he can take stock, however if we are seeing the same tactics for the next 6 or 7 games then the players, fans and club management will put him under more pressure, lets hope he can accept there needs to be a change in direction to get back on the bike.

I'm wondering what amazing wonderful coach people think is out there, that would suddenly drop everything to come and coach us if Woolf did get the bullet?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    I'm wondering what amazing wonderful coach people think is out there, that would suddenly drop everything to come and coach us if Woolf did get the bullet?
    You're right we have had a coaching vacancy previously without us finding anyone suitable.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

I expected a bit of a drop off in performance this year. We’ve lost something like 8-10 games over the past two years, a bit like how Manchester City have “struggled” to maintain their form from the previous couple of seasons, I thought we might do the same but also because of the change of coach.

I have to say that I’m not enamoured by Woolf so far. The style of Rugby we’ve played, when we’ve not been bullied in the pack, has been dour, one dimensional and dull. I’ll give him a chance as that yesterday was the strongest side we’ve put out with Coote back in the side. We’re only really missing Percival. I’ll give him another 4-6 games, providing we’re at relative full strength, before I really judge him but I’m not holding out much hope.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

It is when peoples amnesia seems to let feeling triumph over fact; i.e Holbrook had a ‘tough’ start when we ••••ted Hull in his first match, followed it up by beating Wigan and ended up a kick away from OT.

In The South Stand

Default Woolf - Is he the right man?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    It is when peoples amnesia seems to let feeling triumph over fact; i.e Holbrook had a ‘tough’ start when we ••••ted Hull in his first match, followed it up by beating Wigan and ended up a kick away from OT.
    We ****ted Salford in Woolf’s first game missing a lot of players. We may yet do better than being a kick away from OT.

We didn’t win every big game under Holbrook - we froze and looked a rabble with the ball on more than one occasion.

Let’s all calm down a bit. I’m not happy clapping but there is more than a hint of knee jerk going on here. Definitely things to improve but sacking Woolf now is a ludicrous suggestion.

In The South Stand

Has it though? Woolf is highly paid and there to do a job. He's clearly not doing it well at the moment. Realistically he's got some time, I don't think any of us expect any action for another 10 games or so. But the signs aren't great are they. His style of play doesn't suit the players, the club or the league and the performances have been awful.

Corona may well put a hold on this season for now, but I suspect a hammering from Leeds would have intensified things and a derby defeat to Wigan would have seen the pitchforks and torches being assembled in big numbers.

Of course Kristian isn't alone in being in the spotlight. Again, because of Corona and the potential for a lot of clubs going bankrupt it seems daft even talking about this, but McManus and Rush are also in the firing line for not refreshing the squad. That was always a mistake, no matter how good the side was last season. You always need fresh faces and competition for places and we've got neither.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    Jesus give the guy a chance. We’re 6 games into the season and people want him gone.

We’ve had a very disruptive start to the season with injuries and the world club challenge game which incidentally I think has took a lot out of us. Whether it’s complacency or a lack of intensity I’m not too sure but we have looked flat since the Roosters game.

People just expect us to turn up and win every game but sport isn’t like that and history tells you that teams tend to struggle a little the year after they’ve won a comp.

Let’s at least give him a full season before we start calling for his head.
    Yes you make some good observations however from what happened yesterday it’s difficult to see it turning round anytime soon. The season after the Lord Mayors Show was always going to be difficult. The point is though, whatever our form ends up being with a recovery, his marker is obviously for arm wrestle style rugby. The fan base simply won’t accept it, neither will the players where for the last few years everyone has been aligned. Woolf is clearly out of step with what’s required at the club where flair and open rugby now seem an alien prospect.

My main issue though is his management of the squad. He doesn’t seem like an inclusive man manager, he has kept his nucleus of players whether they deserve to play or not, I believe that’s simply because he doesn’t know his squad and he doesn’t have the right competencies to position them & lead them. He’s clearly lost them as a group, as he has with a great many supporters. This has no future so McManus has to admit his mistake & move him on soonest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

mmmmmmmmmmm still embarrassing. Will come back to this in October (possibly)
    Learned comment from The Don

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    With regard to the passing and throwing different shapes at the opposition, I was thinking about that during the game and wondering, is this a result of Longy leaving?
    This may be a very valid point, watching yesterday’s game I was wondering why you were playing without half backs. I know the old adage that they need the pack to be going forward to be effective but Lomax was anonymous and Fages had one of the poorest games I have seen him play.
    It may be that the team don’t like all the wrestling and are voting with their feet ala Hull on Thursday.

Got A Season Ticket

I watched the match yesterday and I had to turn it off in the second half as I could not believe what I was watching. It looks to me like the players are not playing for the coach, from the start they where not interested and there seems to be no organised attacking structure and hanging back in defence has been happening all season.

Woolf seems to have changed everything and he has clearly lost the dressing room. We are in the early stages of the season and I would usually like to give Woolf more time but the players clearly look unhappy and sometimes a new coach comes into a club and just doesn’t connect with a group of players and I think that’s what’s happening here and maybe it’s best if the club starts looking at alternatives now.

I also think we should of brought in some new players during the off season as one or two new players can freshen things up and the squad looks a bit thin and we are seeing that when are expecting an 18 year old kid to play in different positions on a weekly basis. We need a new centre to replace Percival as Woolf doesn’t fancy Costello or any of the centres from the reserves. I would of gone for Tony Gigot who was a free agent

I hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking good at the moment