Thread: Phillip Clarke

Learning All The Songs

Double post

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by ralph fridge View Post
    i'd have said phone back at a more reasonable hour please

Quote Originally Posted by ralph fridge View Post
    what an excel lent reply

Remember going to wakey around 2003 (I was 16 ish) and I had Reebok tracksuit pants on, Nike trainers and a purple Fred Perry shirt. Looked like a right idiot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Remember going to wakey around 2003 (I was 16 ish) and I had Reebok tracksuit pants on, Nike trainers and a purple Fred Perry shirt. Looked like a right idiot
    Probably a bit before your time but I remember around 1995, so I was 14-15, we used wear reebok or ellesse sweaters with a check shirt underneath and the sweater tucked into our jeans or the shirt untucked under your sweater and of course the ubiquitous reebok classics or nike cortez. It was probably a downgrade of terrace/rave fashion at the time. I have to say though, some of the coats we wore around that time were great, Berghaus gore-tex, Helly Hansen sailing jackets, Henri Lloyd, North Sails and Paul & Shark if you could raise the funds. I also remember getting a black Burberry jacket for a Christmas present that was the dogs doo dahs.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 15th March 2020 at 10:05. Reason: Feeling old

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

According to an article in Total RL Shaun Wane described Phil Clarke as irrelevant

I'm getting to like Shaun Wane

Banned

I couldn't imagine in a million years Phillip and Shaun Wane being matey. I don't even know who Clarke counts as mates he does not seem close to anyone in particular. However they are both making a living out of the game like the clowns Baz and Tez. Joynty is an outsider always seemed odd to me that.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Dr No-Pie

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I couldn't imagine in a million years Phillip and Shaun Wane being matey. I don't even know who Clarke counts as mates he does not seem close to anyone in particular. However they are both making a living out of the game like the clowns Baz and Tez. Joynty is an outsider always seemed odd to me that.
    Don't know if they are still matey now but Clarke, Betts + Edwards use to hang out together when they were doing extra training, they use to take the phish out of Offiah. Clarke + Betts use to wind up Joynty about him having full time trade then going for training later on in the day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Don't know if they are still matey now but Clarke, Betts + Edwards use to hang out together when they were doing extra training, they use to take the phish out of Offiah. Clarke + Betts use to wind up Joynty about him having full time trade then going for training later on in the day.
    3 first class wankers right there, 4 if you count Offiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Yup. Cannot stand Edwards or Offiah.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Dennis Betts seemed OK, met him quite a few times on my training runs up to Haigh Hall, he didn't like Offiah some players struggled with "Chariots" ego.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Dennis Betts seemed OK, met him quite a few times on my training runs up to Haigh Hall, he didn't like Offiah some players struggled with "Chariots" ego.
    I only ever met him once in Royce's gym and he seemed like an arrogant get. Although to be fair, I was a cheeky 15 year old in a Saints tracky at the time so that may have had something to do with it.

I've heard that said more than once about Offiah.

Yup. Cannot stand Edwards or Offiah.

You will not meet anyone nicer than Shaun Edwards.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    You will not meet anyone nicer than Shaun Edwards.
    More to do with him on the pitch than off it. Arrogant. I hated him

More to do with him on the pitch than off it. Arrogant. I hated him
    We give players stick, I don't have a problem with them giving it back as long as it is within the limits of "banter". When Sam Tomkins did his backwards run in front of us the other year I didn't see a problem with it. He was, IMO, just giving us it back. In fact now when I see it I think it is quite funny. Unlike Hock who throw the ball directly and at force in to the crowd.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

We give players stick, I don't have a problem with them giving it back as long as it is within the limits of "banter". When Sam Tomkins did his backwards run in front of us the other year I didn't see a problem with it. He was, IMO, just giving us it back. In fact now when I see it I think it is quite funny. Unlike Hock who throw the ball directly and at force in to the crowd.
    Oh definitely. I think Edwards was one of the main architects in a Wigan team who beat us so often. Found it tough to take at the time. Great player though. Just hated him for it.

I've seen the Lions tour documentary for the 2009 tour in South Africa & I did think he was harsh at times on the players. Some of the poor defence he put on to the players was actually quick thinking attack from South Africa. Having said that he has more than proved himself in Union & done exceptionally well as a coach. He is the ultimate winner

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Yeh i agree mate. I can’t stand Tomkins (mostly for his milking penalties in the tackle) but never minded him winding our fans up. We loved it when Tommy Martyn used to rile up the Wigan speccies.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Phil Clarke snidey player who would always start something with a cheap niggle then hide behind Skerret and Cowie