Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL Thread

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Compare those commentators to the Northern mining community parody we have on Sky Sports, it's not pretty.
    I'm not suggesting we'll ever get the same, but competition is a massive driver in the coverage in Australia. When Channel Nine (free) and Fox Sports (pay) are both showing the big games, they are both after viewers and ad revenue, so it drives really good coverage. Over here, where is Sky's motivation to produce anything other than average coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’m loving the rule change with the ruck infringements. The speed of the game is ridiculous. Plus it will stop lesser sides deliberately slowing the game down for a tactical breather.

To use the Huddersfield game as an example we’d have never lost that game with this rule. I’m sick of seeing teams deliberately coming to spoil and slow the game down so I’d be a massive fan of this rule over here.

The rule change is a good one for the spectacle of the game.

Imagine it in place last season? We’d probably have gone unbeaten all season under Justin.... and won the World Challenge Super Cup Championship Top Gun trophy or whatever it is Warrington called it when they won it last season.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

The rule change made an instant improvement and I really enjoyed the game, but I also think having only one referee made a difference too.

When there are two refs there's too much nit picking on minor offenses and it slows the game down.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Just realised that the NRL games are free on virgin this weekend although not sure for how long.

In The South Stand

Justin Holbrook’s Titans are about to kick off against the Cowboys.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Cmon justin

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Cmon justin
    The canned crowd noise is interesting and seems to improve the sterile atmosphere, I don't know whether it is just on the t.v sound coverage are actually in the ground, this new tackle count is a bit confusing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The canned crowd noise is interesting and seems to improve the sterile atmosphere, I don't know whether it is just on the t.v sound coverage are actually in the ground, this new tackle count is a bit confusing
    I thought that about the sound, I've been watching the Kraut football and that's the one thing that's annoying me (well, that and my bets).

This game is incredibly fast, it looks like they've fixed the wrestling issue completely.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    What’s confusing? (Not being a smart arse but they explained it on yesterday’s coverage so I may be able to help)
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Tough to watch, this. Titans have defended well and have chucked the ball around and looked dangerous ball in hand and we’ve swapped all of that for one out Rugby under the fella from The Gladiators in the 90s.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Tough to watch, this. Titans have defended well and have chucked the ball around and looked dangerous ball in hand and we’ve swapped all of that for one out Rugby under the fella from The Gladiators in the 90s.
    Jon Fashanu?

Banned

̶W̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶i̶n̶ ̶H̶o̶l̶b̶r̶o̶o̶k̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶!̶

You should've stayed, you should've stayed, Justin Holbrook, you should've stayed!

Great to have rugbah leeg back. My NRL team got a clipping yesterday but still enjoyed watching the match authentically.

Could someone explain the "new" 6 tackle rule that Channel 9 & NRL commentators are repeatingly talking about? I don't remember it being in before Covid (which probably explains the "new" bit).

NRL enjoys biggest ratings in six years

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-enj...0-b2b4ea46b1cf

Banned

Three decent games so far. That was the best one. Would be great to see a really tight game this weekend though.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I enjoyed the Rabbitohs v Roosters.

Roosters tackling technique was superb especially under the new rules. They got three and four men into the tackle, controlled the tackle and put the attacker on his back. Their fitness levels are amazing to be able to do that for so long in a game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I enjoyed the Rabbitohs v Roosters.

Roosters tackling technique was superb especially under the new rules. They got three and four men into the tackle, controlled the tackle and put the attacker on his back. Their fitness levels are amazing to be able to do that for so long in a game.
    If ever there was a stark illustration of the differences* between a Saints fan and a piescum, the last couple of pages of this thread are it.

We've had a succession of Saints fans gushing about how open the rugby has been with little slowing of the PTB and wishing the British game was similar; then our resident goon comes on and drools about the ability of the Roosters team to get multiple men into the tackle to slow the opposition PTB.

* The other main difference being we have 5 fingers on each hand

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If ever there was a stark illustration of the differences* between a Saints fan and a piescum, the last couple of pages of this thread are it.

We've had a succession of Saints fans gushing about how open the rugby has been with little slowing of the PTB and wishing the British game was similar; then our resident goon comes on and drools about the ability of the Roosters team to get multiple men into the tackle to slow the opposition PTB.

* The other main difference being we have 5 fingers on each hand
    Or maybe a rugby league fan who understands that good defense is equally as important as good attack?

Did you honestly think that the Gold Coast v North Queensland game was better than the Rabbitohs v Roosters one?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Each to their own obviously but I appreciate it a good defence and a good attack equally, I’ve never been a big fan of those games that end up with massive score lines. I don’t see why praising a good defensive performance should be a bad thing to be fair. If a team can slow the ball carrier down before getting them to ground, that’s just good defence IMO.

I think the rules in the NRL now have got it about right. They favour the attacking team, a decent to good carry now brings more reward to the attacking team either through a quick ruck or a penalty, but the rules still reward good defence as well. If you can’t get a quick play-the-ball in the NRL now, your attack just isn’t good enough because all the teams I’ve watched so far have been holding down less on the floor in fear of giving another six tackles away.

The issue in Super League at times in recent years for me has been that poor defence has been rewarded as teams have been blatantly allows to hold down on the floor. The new rules in the NRL have eliminated that a bit.

Obviously everyone looks for different things but I think they’ve got a good balance now personally.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 29th May 2020 at 17:41.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Each to their own obviously but I appreciate it a good defence and a good attack equally, I’ve never been a big fan of those games that end up with massive score lines. I don’t see why praising a good defensive performance should be a bad thing to be fair. If a team can slow the tackler down before getting them to ground, that’s just good defence IMO.

I think the rules in the NRL now have got it about right. They favour the attacking team, a decent to good carry now brings more reward to the attacking team either through a quick ruck or a penalty, but the rules still reward good defence as well. If you can’t get a quick play-the-ball in the NRL now, your attack just isn’t good enough because all the teams I’ve watched so far have been holding down less on the floor in fear of giving another six tackles away.

The issue in Super League at times in recent years for me has been that poor defence has been rewarded as teams have been blatantly allows to hold down on the floor. The new rules in the NRL have eliminated that a bit.

Obviously everyone looks for different things but I think they’ve got a good balance now personally.
    I agree. I really don't want to watch tick and pass or teams slowing things down to a crawl, including pretending to be hurt, something that has crept more and more into the game, and I certainly don't want to watch endless scoots from dummy half which is what will happen if we don't rewards good defense.
    As you say there has to be a balance, and from what I've seen so far it look good.

Enjoyed watching them so far.

Titans' job looks a biggun' for Holbrook, they just seem to press the self destruct button. Their 6, Taylor, kicking out from the full when they were 12-6 down and he went for a short restart was just absolutely mind-boggling.

How good were the Eels though against the Broncos. 34-6 and yet in my opinion, Brisbane's defence was actually quite strong at times, yet they still shipped 34 points.

Thought Latrell Mitchell still looks a good few KGs over-weight.

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    How good were the Eels though against the Broncos.
    They were my tip to challenge the Roosters at the start of the season. They seem to have everything in place now, with a really good team and that brilliant new ground, which unfortunately they of course can't fill at the moment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Each to their own obviously but I appreciate it a good defence and a good attack equally, I’ve never been a big fan of those games that end up with massive score lines. I don’t see why praising a good defensive performance should be a bad thing to be fair. If a team can slow the ball carrier down before getting them to ground, that’s just good defence IMO.

It was a joke

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Raiders v Storm was well worth watching. Some unbelievable last ditch defence from the Raiders and Williams had an excellent game as well.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Raiders v Storm was well worth watching. Some unbelievable last ditch defence from the Raiders and Williams had an excellent game as well.
    Aye, it was a good game. I hate to admit it but Williams was very good, that tackle he made was excellent.