Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Just heard from work and apparently I'm cleared to travel to Denmark. Doesn't sound at all right to be honest.
    One the ITV news at 1:30 it said that all flights were being grounded. Good luck anyway, stay safe.

Banned

Default Corona virus strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Just to add some perspective but obviously unverified over a period of 2 months apparently

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    One the ITV news at 1:30 it said that all flights were being grounded. Good luck anyway, stay safe.
    I don't know what to believe. I've asked for confirmation in writing and that I'm covered if I can't work or get stuck there. Flights are landing in Copenhagen according to the airport website but I don't really fancy flying there to be sent home.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    How many deaths are from flu, a perennial killer? Politicians are the biggest liars, yet when there's a panic everyone thinks they must be telling the truth. The government and the media have forced a panic down our throats from the top, when all that is really happening is cold and flu season. The coronavirus panic is just that, an irrational panic, based on an unproven RNA test, that has never been connected to a virus. And which wonÂ’t be connected to a virus unless the virus is purified. Also even if the test can detect a novel virus the presence of a virus is not proof that it is the cause of the severe symptoms that some people who test positive experience (but not all who test positive). Finally, even if the test can detect a virus, and it is dangerous, we do not know what the rate of false positives is. And even a 1% false positive rate could produce 100,000 false positive results just in a city the size of Wuhan and could mean that a significant fraction of the positive test results being found are false positives.
    Are you positive about that?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    He's convinced me.
    I'm off to Aldi's to return my 1000 toilet rolls.

Apparently, our local Boots have sold out of hair dye. Nice to see folks get their priorities in order!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    He's convinced me.
    I'm off to Aldi's to return my 1000 toilet rolls.

Apparently, our local Boots have sold out of hair dye. Nice to see folks get their priorities in order!

There wasn't a bog roll in slight in Aldi earlier, still the S*n is only 55p if you get desperate.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Just to add some perspective but obviously unverified over a period of 2 months apparently

Yes but it is percent death rate that’s important if the death rate for all of these were between 2-3% then we would take action

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yes but it is percent death rate that’s important if the death rate for all of these were between 2-3% then we would take action
    Yes I know there are differing ways of presenting ‘data’ but it just shows the absolute numbers of deaths, even if the virus had a 10 fold or 100 fold error it’s still below a number of others that we’re all prone to die from.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Maybe he is sat in a throne with his feet in the water talking to the waves.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Apparently the latest news is that us over 70s WILL be allowed to go out for walks . I've stopped watching the news channels just too depressing, but the last printed news in the Daily Telegraph was an interesting online chart produced by Public Health England where you can put in your Post Code WA10 area , one case out of a population of 180,000 making it the 111th worst place in England for catching the virus, I can live with that (hopefully!)Hampshire is the worst with 54 cases Still not right that restrictions might be placed on reasonably healthy aged people whilst 40 to 50 year old obese heavy smoking and drinking individuals are allowed to wander around at will which would put more pressure on NHS should they get it
    I'm one of the 70s or quite close wallers , unfortunately for myself as mentioned a few months ago I had Myeloma which is top of the scale for deaths , and yes I did say and was happy to mention that the illness had left me , not cured because this type of cancer cannot be cured , and here we go check up with consultant and bad news I'm back in the early stages , not quite back on the chemo yet that happens in 6 weeks . Back to you passing time by going out in the car and doing what you enjoy is very similar to myself , my wife and daughter have had to move away for a few months main reason my daughter is a Nurse and is right in the firing line , and to be honest it's really hard how to spend my time , what do I do as I can only travel alone fill my tank up with petrol at ASDA first thing in the morning, back to the house , lunch , early evening meal , then early evening jump in the car and visit where I've had some great times , just come back from Castleford = yes where we didn't do quite well on Sunday, t'morra Barrow a place I loved to go especially after watching Arkie put Eddie Shzmala on his @£$e , give the lad his due , he invited us all back to his pub , great night couple of free beers and the food was great , and no I wasn't driving Brian Dooner was a good friend (Neil Holdings uncle) was the unlucky one behind the wheel , great game is Rugby League lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Yes I know there are differing ways of presenting ‘data’ but it just shows the absolute numbers of deaths, even if the virus had a 10 fold or 100 fold error it’s still below a number of others that we’re all prone to die from.

I,m looking at the data in our local areas and use an algorithm based on an 100 fold hidden error. At the moment for example St Helens has only 2 cases from an estimate of 180,000 if that had a 100 fold error that would mean there could be 2 x 100 = 200 cases in the area. There could be a point when 50% of the population (90 000) be infected, using the same 100 fold error that would mean only 900 would be reported, that would be the point for isolation concerns.

So at the moment we are at 2 cases which is a long way off to 900 cases, that no of cases is the same number as Japan. The question is would be St Helens be worse than the country of Japan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m looking at the data in our local areas and use an algorithm based on an 100 fold hidden error. At the moment for example St Helens has only 2 cases from an estimate of 180,000 if that had a 100 fold error that would mean there could be 2 x 100 = 200 cases in the area. There could be a point when 50% of the population (90 000) be infected, using the same 100 fold error that would mean only 900 would be reported, that would be the point for isolation concerns.

So at the moment we are at 2 cases which is a long way off to 900 cases, that no of cases is the same number as Japan. The question is would be St Helens be worse than the country of Japan.
    Good stuff. I know a little about Japan to use your example. That society couldn’t be further from ours in probably every single way. It’s common practise to wear a mask when they have a common cold let alone threatened by a virus as it’s courteous & sensible to do so. They also respect & obey authority generally without question. They’re very very organised, meaning they can measure, scope out & define objectives then implement them. I think it reasonable to say that almost none of this would apply in St Helens or any other town in UK so therefore we’ll suffer more as a result. We’ve still got coffee shops full of people particularly in London who clearly believe they’re above all of this. I think it’s at best difficult to overlay one countries experience on another including outcomes. That being said I appreciate your analysis.

Banned

A well known local glue sniffer although he has progressed to other solvents over the years shouted to me over the weekend about how s"itty this corona virus is. St Helens that is why you love it. Westfield Street life will be immune from anything including a nuclear attack.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    I'm one of the 70s or quite close wallers , unfortunately for myself as mentioned a few months ago I had Myeloma which is top of the scale for deaths , and yes I did say and was happy to mention that the illness had left me , not cured because this type of cancer cannot be cured , and here we go check up with consultant and bad news I'm back in the early stages , not quite back on the chemo yet that happens in 6 weeks . Back to you passing time by going out in the car and doing what you enjoy is very similar to myself , my wife and daughter have had to move away for a few months main reason my daughter is a Nurse and is right in the firing line , and to be honest it's really hard how to spend my time , what do I do as I can only travel alone fill my tank up with petrol at ASDA first thing in the morning, back to the house , lunch , early evening meal , then early evening jump in the car and visit where I've had some great times , just come back from Castleford = yes where we didn't do quite well on Sunday, t'morra Barrow a place I loved to go especially after watching Arkie put Eddie Shzmala on his @£$e , give the lad his due , he invited us all back to his pub , great night couple of free beers and the food was great , and no I wasn't driving Brian Dooner was a good friend (Neil Holdings uncle) was the unlucky one behind the wheel , great game is Rugby League lol.
    Bloody hell Roy, I'm really sorry to hear that. It puts my petty problems into perspective. I'm off work at the moment so if you get stuck for anything or need a hand with anything you only need to drop me a message. That goes for anyone else struggling too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Good stuff. I know a little about Japan to use your example. That society couldn’t be further from ours in probably every single way. It’s common practise to wear a mask when they have a common cold let alone threatened by a virus as it’s courteous & sensible to do so. They also respect & obey authority generally without question. They’re very very organised, meaning they can measure, scope out & define objectives then implement them. I think it reasonable to say that almost none of this would apply in St Helens or any other town in UK so therefore we’ll suffer more as a result. We’ve still got coffee shops full of people particularly in London who clearly believe they’re above all of this. I think it’s at best difficult to overlay one countries experience on another including outcomes. That being said I appreciate your analysis.

Yes, I only extracted the no of cases from the world data. It was more really about comparison scale, Japan so far has 900 cases from a population of 126 million, the question or perspective is over the similar period would St Helens accrue 900 cases from a population of 180 thousand.

What is alarming is that most countries start off linear then go into exponential, with Italy they hit the exponential curve straight earlier and has not slowed down like China and other counties who are further advanced. As you say Japan is a very disciplined society is this the opposite in Northern Italy its difficult to blame anything specific.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 18th March 2020 at 10:16.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, I only extracted the no of cases from the world data. It was more really about comparison scale, Japan so far has 900 cases from a population of 126 million, the question is over the similar period would St Helens accrue 900 cases from a population of 180 thousand. What is alarming is that most countries start off linear then go into exponential, with Italy they hit the exponential curve straight away and has not slowed down like China and other counties who are further advanced.
    I really don’t know how we know how many cases we have. I could have it now but advice is isolate and sit through it with paracetamol. I don’t need to tell anyone. Some people saying they had the same symptoms in November, December but who knows? It’s only those actually tested that gives a true figure, maybe they extrapolate that instead of requiring anyone who has got it to flag up somewhere, somehow. As an aside we let a further 25 illegals in yesterday in boats from the channel & more likely today & tomorrow......so much for our ‘war footing’.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

First of all Roy stay safe.
    Brian Dooner, what a character, sadly missed. We went to quite a few of his parties over Christmas as he and Winnie were very good friends with the Allcocks one of whom is my son-in-law. As you can imagine we had some very long discussions over the rugby.
    Happy days.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Bloody hell Roy, I'm really sorry to hear that. It puts my petty problems into perspective. I'm off work at the moment so if you get stuck for anything or need a hand with anything you only need to drop me a message. That goes for anyone else struggling too.
    You’re a good man Dave.

I need bog roll please if you can pop round. I live in Cornwall

Learning All The Songs

Look after yourself Roy. Best wishes

Look after yourself Roy and best wishes always here if you need owt

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im really sorry to read this Roy. Take care of yourself pal
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    You’re a good man Dave.

I need bog roll please if you can pop round. I live in Cornwall
    I've just been to both my local shops and there is none. I've got a plan to drive round all the local pubs later and nick one from each.

oooops, should've kept that to myself.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Just out of curiosity which pubs are still open in St.Helens.

Learning All The Songs

I know it's drastic but we need to bring in some type of ration book. Shop rationing won't work because they just visit more stores.