Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    They are also largely people who have self discipline. If they are told there is a lockdown they will accept a lockdown and behave as they are told.

If we announced a lockdown from Monday at 6pm, the shops would be completely emptied, there would be rioting and civil unrest over kitkats and half the population would assume it doesn't apply to them as they are rich or drive a BMW or are too young to be affected by it.
    Can I second what Saddended has said, and say that on this subject, they have contributed to the info for fans.

How does he/she get a Rep Power?
    Last edited by Jackbit; 14th March 2020 at 23:19.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Hi Ralf, no I've not read the book by R. Davies, but in a previous life have worked within a company producing vaccine for the one they expect to do us all damage, irrispective of age or condition, H5N1, Bird flu. This may be the precursor to that? But we will never be sure, but this Covid-19 is the clear and present danger and everyone should be absolutely aware that we as a nation, are going to lose a lot of our nearest and dearest, especially, if some quarters still think that this is like the Flu? It is not the Flu, follow the guidelines.
    Howya Jackbit, I have to disagree with you on this. The quarantine controls are a must due to almost every health services across the world being stretched, the virus itself is not the problem, read the post on TB. We have a misconception that we can prevent disease by washing our hands with bacterial disinfectant from a stored water source. This is non sense, total non sense. Lets deal with facts urine is more sterile than stored water, so washing your hands after peeing is counter productive. Washing your hands after contamination ie wiping your backside, contaminates the tap head then wash your hands then recontaminate your hands to turn off the tap. Virus will take hold no matter what we do, we are over populated and produce food for us humans in an unnatural way. The quarantine measures are necessary to help the health services I will agree 100% on this, but it is not our fault, it will happen because of the way we are evolving. I understand your concerns reference loved ones but it is not your fault or my fault if a loved one dies because of virus.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

This is an interesting video which explains about the point of delay

https://youtu.be/nl6tTwxzCi8

There's a misconception that by going into lockdown we're looking to stop the spread of the disease.. realistically there's no way of stopping it because there'll always be somebody carrying it

The best we can do is protect the most vulnerable
    Last edited by paulscnthorpe; 15th March 2020 at 09:49.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    This is an interesting video which explains about the point of delay

https://youtu.be/nl6tTwxzCi8

There's a misconception that by going into lockdown we're looking to stop the spread of the disease.. realistically there's no way of stopping it because there'll always be somebody carrying it

The best we can do is protect the most vulnerable
    Its a reasonable explanation in principle until we get a spike in local parts of the country, for me its far to early to go into lockdown especially closing the schools if anything the lockdown priority should be for the elderly and the care homes. I also don't see the point of shutting down sport when the contamination rate is very low (100's) and then starting up the sport again when the contamination rate will be higher (1000's).

For me and I am not a young chicken will probably just avoid people, but go out for walks, cycle trips and drives in the car, shopping will be done very early in the morning to separate, I,ve already reduced the no of times using public transport.

EDIT: I've just been given an explanation by some medical people that the 80% contamination is not on population but 80% of confirmation cases over a 6 week period. The UK plan is to absorb 25% of confirmation cases say over 3 weeks, 50% of confirmation cases over the 6 weeks and tail off with 25% of confirmation cases in another 3 weeks. The NHS could take the hit over a 12 week extended period and not over a spiked 6 weeks, so in theory the delay plan would work if the virus plays ball.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 15th March 2020 at 10:33.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a reasonable explanation in principle until we get a spike in local parts of the country, for me its far to early to go into lockdown especially closing the schools if anything the lockdown priority should be for the elderly and the care homes. I also don't see the point of shutting down sport when the contamination rate is very low (100's) and then starting up the sport again when the contamination rate will be higher (1000's).

For me and I am not a young chicken will probably just avoid people, but go out for walks, cycle trips and drives in the car, shopping will be done very early in the morning to separate, I,ve already reduced the no of times using public transport.
    Avoiding people is one of the plus points of this. Although I was thinking to myself this morning, I can walk everywhere locally which itself is a good thing, get some things done around the house I've been putting off, order shopping online and generally keep myself to myself. I suppose my job helps me with this as I'm used to being away on my own. The only downside I can see is if they close the gym I use which I would miss but again, I can do things at home.

EDIT: I've just been given an explanation by some medical people that the 80% contamination is not on population but 80% of confirmation cases over a 6 week period. The UK plan is to absorb 25% of confirmation cases say over 3 weeks, 50% of confirmation cases over the 6 weeks and tail off with 25% of confirmation cases in another 3 weeks. The NHS could take the hit over a 12 week extended period and not over a spiked 6 weeks, so in theory the delay plan would work if the virus plays ball.
    Exactly, we've 'only' had 1100 cases nationally, the NHS is coping (as much as it ever copes these days) Spain has 6000+ cases with 20m less people than here, France has about 4 times as many cases as us. So it stands to reason we wait another week or so..

China's figures have dropped, but they'll rocket again once their measures stop

Banned

I reckon it’s reasonable to assume that we’re all going to catch it in the first phase or any subsequent second or third phases. It’s then about managing the peak of the vulnerable group infections to attempt to manage the mortality rate.
    Reading this morning that a Canadian and an Italian team separately claiming progress towards understanding its structure which is very early steps to potential vaccine unless it mutates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Huge saints fan but I feel total indifference towards today's Match. I can not believe given the decisions made an other sports that we are playing today. I just hope that aall players, fans and staff keep safe today as best they can

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Huge saints fan but I feel total indifference towards today's Match. I can not believe given the decisions made an other sports that we are playing today. I just hope that aall players, fans and staff keep safe today as best they can

I think the demographic is a bit different with the football where they have vast amounts of supporters travelling all over the country, we are basically just the narrow M62 corridor with contaminated cases probably in single figures for both towns.

Same here and genuinely surprised that it's going ahead. Wondering when I'll use my season ticket again.

Learning All The Songs

I think the demographic is a bit different with the football where they have vast amounts of supporters travelling all over the country, we are basically just the narrow M62 corridor with contaminated cases probably in single figures for both towns.
    Not to mention those not at the games who will pack pubs out to watch on TV in confined spaces.

Banned

Wonder what message it sent to the corporate world.

Learning All The Songs

most of Saints players looked like they were indifferent to the game or is it the Wolf factor?

In The South Stand

Did anyone else hear Eamon McManus on “Today” on Radio 4. He was quite measured in what he said but suggested that the sport may be in danger without Government help. He distinguished RL from soccer and RU on the basis that we are only at the start of our season.

Learning All The Songs

I suppose all these people who have stockpiled and emptied the supermarkets, so that they can protect their families during this uncertain and potentially dangerous time, will now sympathise with the plight of refugees trying to escape from war zones etc.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Did anyone else hear Eamon McManus on “Today” on Radio 4. He was quite measured in what he said but suggested that the sport may be in danger without Government help. He distinguished RL from soccer and RU on the basis that we are only at the start of our season.
    I have been wondering what, if anything, we fans can do to help.
    I'm sure many of us have been thinking about our season tickets etc, and if/when we'll get a refund, but is that the right attitude here? maybe it would be better for the club if some sort of delayed 'refund' was offered to ease the cash flow, maybe even with an option to donate?
    This is just off the top of my head BTW. I'm not really thinking it through. I just thought I'd put it out there.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The way we are playing at the moment I would welcome not have to watch it and gladly sacrifice any games.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I have been wondering what, if anything, we fans can do to help.
    I'm sure many of us have been thinking about our season tickets etc, and if/when we'll get a refund, but is that the right attitude here? maybe it would be better for the club if some sort of delayed 'refund' was offered to ease the cash flow, maybe even with an option to donate?
    This is just off the top of my head BTW. I'm not really thinking it through. I just thought I'd put it out there.
    The “Old Vic” has cancelled performances and asked punters not to ask for refunds. Some individuals may be able to afford not to press for season ticket refunds but lots of individuals will be struggling as well. Lots of businesses may go under. Two of my sons in law work in businesses, which have already lost work and I’m sure other people on here have similar stories.

I paid upfront for my season ticket and while it would be nice to get a refund I would be willing to forego this if it meant saving the club from extinction.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    The way we are playing at the moment I would welcome not have to watch it and gladly sacrifice any games.
    I’m still too annoyed about yesterday to comment much but what we could be talking is the destruction of the professional game. As fans we always have hope that our rants might change the direction a coach has taken us in or that players may up their game or a new coach might be found. But what if there is no professional game? McManus was measured in what he said but there is clearly some danger of too many clubs going under to make the sport viable.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I paid upfront for my season ticket and while it would be nice to get a refund I would be willing to forego this if it meant saving the club from extinction.
    My thoughts as well. They can keep my money if it means we still have a club to support.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I think the vast majority will agree with that, not saying that's the right attitude or not.. I think most would probably stomach maybe three games lost if the season can't be played

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Exactly, we've 'only' had 1100 cases nationally, the NHS is coping (as much as it ever copes these days) Spain has 6000+ cases with 20m less people than here, France has about 4 times as many cases as us. So it stands to reason we wait another week or so..

China's figures have dropped, but they'll rocket again once their measures stop
    The UK figures are an utter joke, because they're hardly testing anyone.

Experts believe the true numbers here are anything from 10x to 50x the 'official confirmed' numbers.

Test result wait times, by the way, are currently running at 7 days. 7 days!!! In China, despite running many more daily tests than here, they got it down to 4 hours. But then, I guess 10 years of malevolent Tory scum running the NHS into the ground will make work less well.

Learning All The Songs

The less said about China the better.