Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Catalans v Leeds now cancelled...
    It seems not cancelled but Leeds have refused to travel

https://www.rugby-league.com/article...--leeds-rhinos

The correct decision from them in my opinion, I don’t see how any professional sports league is playing games next week and they should really take matters into their own hands before games this week

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Is this more to do with France (or parts of it) already banning gatherings of 1000 or more?
    Catalan wanted to flip it, but Leeds said 'no'. If they 'officially' can't play it, then I guess it helps Catalan with compensation claims, insurance etc, and avoids any penalties that the RFL/SL might otherwise have imposed.
    That's not to say that they don't want to protect their players BTW!

Uoops! Didn't see that last post.

Got A Season Ticket

If they have a player who has self isolated and this then brings the whole squad under potentially contracting Covid-19, then our game against them in a weeks time will be seriously under threat of not happening. If I was in Saints position you would not want to put the squad into a place where they can potentially catch the virus.

Banned

Work has been put back until Wednesday as they've closed the yard today for a deep clean as a precaution. I can live with that.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    If they have a player who has self isolated and this then brings the whole squad under potentially contracting Covid-19, then our game against them in a weeks time will be seriously under threat of not happening. If I was in Saints position you would not want to put the squad into a place where they can potentially catch the virus.
    Hopefully they’re just being extra careful and it isn’t the Coronavirus but yeah, if it turns out this Leeds player has it then our game will definitely be off and I imagine they’ll suspend the league entirely as well. If one Leeds player has it then surely several others will as well and potentially opposition players as well. Have to imagine it’s going to happen at some point. Ideally it’ll only for a couple of weeks but I get the feeling it’s going to go on for a lot longer than that and a shorter season might come into the equation.

Got A Season Ticket

Its a wise precaution by Leeds, sometimes you have to make the right call even though it might hurt.

Wider implications may vary - without knowing exactly who the player is and which other teams he or she has come into contact with in the last 2 weeks
    then it is difficult to know what the repercussions of this will be.
    Best case scenario is it is a player who hasn't played the last two weeks and it is only the Leeds squad who is effected.
    Worst case he has played against 2 other teams, it has then got out of control - but could also have got out of control in the first scenario, this is the way with these virus's

For me the league should take proactive steps to understand the spread at this time
    Check each squad player for the virus and any squad that is effected should be stood down from games for the next 2 rounds
    Immediately suspend all games at anything other than first team level

Those two steps will allow the max number of games to go ahead.

They should repeat the testing on a weekly basis to confirm still clear or now clear

It couldn't be too much of an issue as each club has medical staff and testing 30 players each it could be done in a day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    Its a wise precaution by Leeds, sometimes you have to make the right call even though it might hurt.

Wider implications may vary - without knowing exactly who the player is and which other teams he or she has come into contact with in the last 2 weeks
    then it is difficult to know what the repercussions of this will be.
    Best case scenario is it is a player who hasn't played the last two weeks and it is only the Leeds squad who is effected.
    Worst case he has played against 2 other teams, it has then got out of control - but could also have got out of control in the first scenario, this is the way with these virus's

For me the league should take proactive steps to understand the spread at this time
    Check each squad player for the virus and any squad that is effected should be stood down from games for the next 2 rounds
    Immediately suspend all games at anything other than first team level

Those two steps will allow the max number of games to go ahead.

They should repeat the testing on a weekly basis to confirm still clear or now clear

It couldn't be too much of an issue as each club has medical staff and testing 30 players each it could be done in a day
    Agreed 100%. Yes, it is going to hurt but this is the RFL we're talking about, no doubt they'll bury their heads in the sand and then cry victim later on.

I've just read Denmark is on lockdown now which is going to hurt me more than this will hurt Leeds.

Got A Season Ticket

I bet the rfl are looking at suspending all superleague and championship games till further notice

Learning All The Songs

all football now off so inevitable RL will follow suit. Pathetic over reaction typical of the times we live in.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Get a grip people thousands of people have died from a virus that has no cure yet- we must follow advise from the medical experts.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    all football now off so inevitable RL will follow suit. Pathetic over reaction typical of the times we live in.
    Would it be an over reaction if one of your relatives died because you went to the match and passed it on to them?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Get a grip people thousands of people have died from a virus that has no cure yet- we must follow advise from the medical experts.
    Agreed, and with the advice that it's going to get worst before it gets better, we are going to struggle to complete the season, perhaps take the drastic steps of cancelling the autumn internationals so we can carry on until later in the year

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Agreed, and with the advice that it's going to get worst before it gets better, we are going to struggle to complete the season, perhaps take the drastic steps of cancelling the autumn internationals so we can carry on until later in the year
    I would imagine midweek games will be the way it goes, rather than cancelling the internationals or putting the GF back.
    Obviously that depends on how long this thing goes on for!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    It just isn't. Look at Italy, would you like it to be like that over here? Hospitals on the verge of collapse because too many have severe symptoms of the virus than the hospitals can cope with. It has knock on effects too, hospital staff numbers will plummet as they catch it or are isolated etc. What happens to the people who have heart attacks, car accidents, get stabbed etc when the hospitals are swamped with people needing treatment for this 'it's only like flu' illness and half the staff aren't in work? Depending on how the Government's plan of doing absolutely nothing works over the next couple of weeks we could end up in a right mess. Daft when the first country to be locked down is now seeing the lowest numbers of infections in all the countries that have it. China's response to it has worked, why we're not doing the same seems a big risk. It's inevitably going to spread here over the next two weeks. It'll be interesting to see how the NHS copes with it and how normal people cope. The panic buying is pathetic but a lot will still do it and if it does spread widely supplies will be affected. It could be months before the country is back to normality and there could be a very weird and unsettling couple of months coming.

Got A Season Ticket

Too much scaremongering going on at the moment

Learning All The Songs

with regard to suspending league games why not just cancel some of the loop fixtures. This shows the advantage of having a playoff at end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    Too much scaremongering going on at the moment
    OK. Try this for fun...
    Figures vary, but I've seen a 1% mortality rate quoted for this. It could be different, but it makes the maths easy.
    Last home game there were about 10K on the ground, so 1% would be 100 people.
    Think about everyone who was on the pitch that day. Both teams, the officials, water carriers, medics, dancing girls and the kids waving the flags. A 100 people maybe?
    Now picture them all lying down on the pitch dead!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It just isn't. Look at Italy, would you like it to be like that over here? Hospitals on the verge of collapse because too many have severe symptoms of the virus than the hospitals can cope with. It has knock on effects too, hospital staff numbers will plummet as they catch it or are isolated etc. What happens to the people who have heart attacks, car accidents, get stabbed etc when the hospitals are swamped with people needing treatment for this 'it's only like flu' illness and half the staff aren't in work? Depending on how the Government's plan of doing absolutely nothing works over the next couple of weeks we could end up in a right mess. Daft when the first country to be locked down is now seeing the lowest numbers of infections in all the countries that have it. China's response to it has worked, why we're not doing the same seems a big risk. It's inevitably going to spread here over the next two weeks. It'll be interesting to see how the NHS copes with it and how normal people cope. The panic buying is pathetic but a lot will still do it and if it does spread widely supplies will be affected. It could be months before the country is back to normality and there could be a very weird and unsettling couple of months coming.
    Italy is locked down and still seeing large daily increases. The government for once are listening to and taking advice from experts, they aren't putting out knee jerk reactions to placate the average moron like Piers Morgan.

And this from me someone that has absolutely no love for the current government whatsoever, however I will give credit where it is due, and if they continue to hold their nerve we as country will be better off.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    OK. Try this for fun...
    Figures vary, but I've seen a 1% mortality rate quoted for this. It could be different, but it makes the maths easy.
    Think about everyone who was on the pitch that day. Both teams, the officials, water carriers, medics, dancing girls and the kids waving the flags. A 100 people maybe?
    More people get killed by drink drivers every year or drug drivers, the normal flu virus kills far more, point made

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    More people get killed by drink drivers every year or drug drivers, the normal flu virus kills far more, point made
    The only point made is that you haven’t listened to the interviews with Italian doctors or come to terms with the fact that this is just the beginning.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The only point made is that you haven’t listened to the interviews with Italian doctors or come to terms with the fact that this is just the beginning.
    I understand, but if people are sensible and use their heads, their chances of catching this virus will be minimal

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    OK. Try this for fun...

I will, Italy has a population of ~60million it has 15,000 cases that is 0.025% so out of your 10K 2.5 people have the virus (let's call it 3) so if any of those 3 people are standing next to 70+ year old person with respiratory problems then we will probably have a death on our hands. But that 70+ year old person has a 3:10,000 chance of being close to one of the 3 (i.e ~1:3000).

What you have done is use the visual image of 100 people dead rather than spread the figures over the whole population.

Try this for fun:
    If there were 15,000 cases in the UK what are the odds that they are all die in the wool Saint fans who don't miss a match?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    What you have done is use the visual image of 100 people dead rather than spread the figures over the whole population.
    Yep. That was my intention.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I will, Italy has a population of ~60million it has 15,000 cases that is 0.025% so out of your 10K 2.5 people have the virus (let's call it 3) so if any of those 3 people are standing next to 70+ year old person with respiratory problems then we will probably have a death on our hands. But that 70+ year old person has a 3:10,000 chance of being close to one of the 3 (i.e ~1:3000).

Try this for fun:
    If there were 15,000 cases in the UK what are the odds that they are all die in the wool Saint fans who don't miss a match?
    Are those 15,000 cases in Italy confirmed cases only? Our Government estimates that there are far more people with the virus than have so far been confirmed and the same applies in Italy. We don’t know the real numbers but wasn’t the estimate yesterday to the effect that perhaps 70% or more of the population will be affected. I’m not in panic mode but people who compare an illness to which we have no natural immunity to seasonal flu and dismiss the authorities’ concerns about the illness, worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Are those 15,000 cases in Italy confirmed cases only? Our Government estimates that there are far more people with the virus than have so far been confirmed and the same applies in Italy. We don’t know the real numbers but wasn’t the estimate yesterday to the effect that perhaps 70% or more of the population will be affected. I’m not in panic mode but people who compare an illness to which we have no natural immunity to seasonal flu and dismiss the authorities’ concerns about the illness, worry me.
    Indeed. Given that the advice is to stay at home and ride it out if you have related symptoms - rather than going to your GP or local hospital - you would think that the confirmed cases figures are the tip of the iceberg. That’s what strikes me as being the problem here: we just don’t know what we’re dealing with, which is what distinguishes it from flu and other things that keep being compared with it.