Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    How are people on here finding the restrictions / impacts of the virus to their overall mindset? I’ll say in honesty that I’ve found it difficult; my wife is overseas and is delayed getting home, there are one or two big things we had planned that had to be scrapped and I’ve little routine. It feels time just idles by with little consequence- almost like it does for a drug addict but in my case without the drugs. As I say I’ve found it tough and it’s made me anxious. Wondering how others are doing?
    Not too bad here as I can work although had to have last week off with a cold which was boring. I went for a drive yesterday afternoon, down to the harbour and along the coast a bit, lovely scenery but I found myself starting to get aggravated at nothing in particular, just fed up with the situation and having nothing to do. Although I did spot an outdoor gym thing so will go and take a nosey at that today I think.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

How are people on here finding the restrictions / impacts of the virus to their overall mindset? I’ll say in honesty that I’ve found it difficult...
    I guess that it doesn't help having your wife away.
    Some good advice from Vinny there. Whatever your routine was, having it turned on it's head can be difficult. Have a go at forming some sort of temporary routine, do all those little jobs that you've been putting off, and definitely include exercise. A walk outdoors, even if it's just round the block, if great for lifting the spirit.
    The only thing I'll add is to say that this is going to be a relatively short term thing.
    Hang on in there!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Very sad news and for those affected by it, still think just at very distant to a lot of people which isn't helping the lockdown measures

Interesting daily briefing yesterday, and they clearly didn't want to appear too positive ahead of a bank holiday

I reckon we'll probably see the schools open about two weeks after the Easter holidays should have finished, and non essential shops to reopen with social distancing by early may
    The information that friends of mine who work in the education sector are getting points towards schools not opening until the autumn. I believe we are about 2 weeks behind Spain and 3 weeks behind Italy in terms of first cases, and I think I read that Italy have extended their lockdown until the end of April at least. With that said you could estimate that we will be in lockdown until the third week in May at least. When you consider the statistics from the health metrics and evaluation, that came out yesterday on projected deaths in Europe from covid 19 (uk 66,000 and the closest European country to that being Italy at a projected 20,000) itÂ’s safe to say not only has the government got most things badly wrong in dealing with this but that this country wonÂ’t be back to normal for another 12 months at least

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

How are people on here finding the restrictions / impacts of the virus to their overall mindset? I’ll say in honesty that I’ve found it difficult; my wife is overseas and is delayed getting home, there are one or two big things we had planned that had to be scrapped and I’ve little routine. It feels time just idles by with little consequence- almost like it does for a drug addict but in my case without the drugs. As I say I’ve found it tough and it’s made me anxious. Wondering how others are doing?
    I think we have adjusted to the Groundhog Day scenario, luckily I,m out everyday on the mountain bike in this nice weather we are having but we are missing our weekly fortnightly trips to Wales, Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District.

It was very eerie this morning though around 6-00am, we live and have Wigan Hospital around 200 metres to the west of us and Haigh Hall Country park around 100 metres to the east of us. We were woken up by a very loud dawn chorus of the wild birds this morning and then 30 mins later that chorus was broken by the sirens of 2 ambulances within 15 mins of each other. We thought spring generates new wild life whilst the ambulances were potentially seeing the transition of some towards the end of human life.

Hello mate, hope you're ok?

Great advice from Vinny & Kentish I think. However, with your wife overseas that does make things harder. My gf lives with me, which has helped as there's 2 of us during this lockdown .
    I've got the facility to work from home now, which has helped but if you can't, the best way is to establish a routine & stick to it. If you are able to do some form of exercise, do it and as early as possible.

We got a few board games ordered & they've helped.

Read/tv or both after tea helps. I highly reccomend The Nest on BBC. It is an excellent series.

I might get my knuckles wrapped here, but I strongly advise to minimise the amount of past games that are now available on the web/tv. It has done pretty much nothing for me bar make me frustrated & annoyed that there is no rugby. I wasn't missing it one bit & over the last week, I've watched loads & it put me in a bad mood. However, that could just be me because I'm the biggest sulker going. Doesn't take a lot to wind me up.

The key is routine, stick to it 6 days a week & be a bit laxe on a Sunday. That's my lazy day anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not too bad here as I can work although had to have last week off with a cold which was boring. I went for a drive yesterday afternoon, down to the harbour and along the coast a bit, lovely scenery but I found myself starting to get aggravated at nothing in particular, just fed up with the situation and having nothing to do. Although I did spot an outdoor gym thing so will go and take a nosey at that today I think.
    I'm trying to guess where you are? Scandinavia?

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think we have adjusted to the Groundhog Day scenario, luckily I,m out everyday on the mountain bike in this nice weather we are having but we are missing our weekly fortnightly trips to Wales, Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District.

It was very eerie this morning though around 6-00am, we live and have Wigan Hospital around 200 metres to the west of us and Haigh Hall Country park around 100 metres to the east of us. We were woken up by a very loud dawn chorus of the wild birds this morning and then 30 mins later that chorus was broken by the sirens of 2 ambulances within 15 mins of each other. We thought spring generates new wild life whilst the ambulances were potentially seeing the transition of some towards the end of human life.
    Good point there. Did you see the pic of the deer on Church Street in the Star?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Where we are is far more restrictive than the UK. We are not allowed to leave the house without a certificate, which is issued individually for each journey. If you do go out you are not allowed more than one person in a car. You can't exercise in a public place nor go for a walk etc. Right now we are having our food delivered, so I have not left the house for more than a month. However apart from not playing golf nor going to restaurants not really feeling it. I am fortunate that I have nice views from the garden and the weather is good so we can sit outside. Also I have a gym in my garage so I can exercise in there. I am spending 1-2 hours per day on learning a language and each day I do a job around the house that I have been putting off for the past year or so. I think that as long as you keep yourself and your mind occupied it is not too bad. The only real effect it has had on us is that my daughter has had to postpone her wedding. It may be a different scenario for someone in employment. that is losing out financially, as I am retired I do not have those worries.

Hope your wife is able to get back soon, being on your own and not knowing the situation of your family can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I have had deer, wild boars and a polecat in my garden. The polecat is the most endangered species, in this region; there have only been 120 sightings in the last 50 years, and most of those were roadkill. This one wasn't frightened of us at all, I put food out to him/her and he just stayed there eating it, even when we put all the lights on so he was floodlit.
    There are some benefits to having no people around.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I have had deer, wild boars and a polecat in my garden. The polecat is the most endangered species, in this region; there have only been 120 sightings in the last 50 years, and most of those were roadkill. This one wasn't frightened of us at all, I put food out to him/her and he just stayed there eating it, even when we put all the lights on so he was floodlit.
    There are some benefits to having no people around.
    Amazing that. Just shows how much human activity has damaged wildlife

Banned

I'm trying to guess where you are? Scandinavia?
    Yes, Denmark. To cheer you up slightly it cost me over £20 for a few groceries this morning.

The deer on Church Street was actually Johnny Wellies' dog.

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    The information that friends of mine who work in the education sector are getting points towards schools not opening until the autumn. I believe we are about 2 weeks behind Spain and 3 weeks behind Italy in terms of first cases, and I think I read that Italy have extended their lockdown until the end of April at least. With that said you could estimate that we will be in lockdown until the third week in May at least. When you consider the statistics from the health metrics and evaluation, that came out yesterday on projected deaths in Europe from covid 19 (uk 66,000 and the closest European country to that being Italy at a projected 20,000) itÂ’s safe to say not only has the government got most things badly wrong in dealing with this but that this country wonÂ’t be back to normal for another 12 months at least
    I’m not certain the government could have done much differently given the inability/unwillingness of many of the population to follow some simple instructions. Aside from those who can’t see the problems associated with mass gatherings, my experience has been that many are incapable of staying 2m apart while virtually every aisle within the supermarkets have someone travelling against the one way flow. I’ve heard people whinge about the measures, claiming they are rubbish or questioning the point of them, so given such stupidity what do people expect the governing powers to do? Needless to say, my wife and I have probably contracted the virus, with raking coughs and high temperatures, so have had to self isolate since Sunday. The only frustrations are that we are obviously unsure whether we are definitely suffering from Covd-19 and unaware of which contact was responsible.

Didn't see that one in the Star will have a look, I do a lot of photography mostly landscapes but I also have a wildlife hide a couple of minutes walk from the house so I've been sat in there 2- 3 hours a day. Got a shot 2 days ago of a male roe deer from about 50 feet way they don't normally venture so close to our houses, the wildlife obviously sense normal human life has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m not certain the government could have done much differently given the inability/unwillingness of many of the population to follow some simple instructions. Aside from those who can’t see the problems associated with mass gatherings, my experience has been that many are incapable of staying 2m apart while virtually every aisle within the supermarkets have someone travelling against the one way flow. I’ve heard people whinge about the measures, claiming they are rubbish or questioning the point of them, so given such stupidity what do people expect the governing powers to do? Needless to say, my wife and I have probably contracted the virus, with raking coughs and high temperatures, so have had to self isolate since Sunday. The only frustrations are that we are obviously unsure whether we are definitely suffering from Covd-19 and unaware of which contact was responsible.
    I wish you & your wife a speedy recovery Tabasco

Didn't see that one in the Star will have a look, I do a lot of photography mostly landscapes but I also have a wildlife hide a couple of minutes walk from the house so I've been sat in there 2- 3 hours a day. Got a shot 2 days ago of a male roe deer from about 50 feet way they don't normally venture so close to our houses, the wildlife obviously sense normal human life has changed.
    Yeah I think you're right. Ah you've got same hobby as my dad then. I'm rubbish at it. Not got an artistic bone in my body

Yes, Denmark. To cheer you up slightly it cost me over £20 for a few groceries this morning.

The deer on Church Street was actually Johnny Wellies' dog.
    £20!!!!!! Nice!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    You’re right, many in our society are unwilling or basically thick, for want of a better word. That’s why the government needed to introduce more draconian measures, similar to Italy/Spain/Belgium (judging by what Belgian saint is saying) that way we may not be facing treble the amount of deaths. Let’s not forget we also had a 3 week head start on most of these countries and didn’t learn lessons from it, instead we allowed 250,000 to attend the Cheltenham festival, thousands to attend concerts (stereophonics springs to mind)thousands of Madrid fans to come and watch their team play Liverpool when they weren’t allowed to watch them in their own country!!!. Not to mention the lack of PPE equipment for NHS workers or the testing and tracing of the virus. An area where we are way behind other nations. So yes, the government could have done and should be doing way more

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

To be fair, 90% are complying with the regulations, there's actually a train of thought from some 'sources' that it's being better observed than the government initially thought, and in turn the economy has taken a bigger hit than expected as they believed shops like b and q may stay open and believe would get jobs done, amongst other things..

It's difficult to trust some of sources however the government are said to think the economic impact may result in around 150,000 deaths in the long run..

All the measures are purely to slow the strain on the NHS, not to stop people getting the disease and ultimately dying. For all the deaths it'll be interesting to see how much the death rate is in comparison to a similar period to say the last five years. Looking at the hospital admissions and ICU admissions, the figures do tend to point to a leveling out, however we're probably at least a week from knowing for sure.

On the economic impact a number of countries have introduced very few restrictions, and it'll be interesting to see their death rate in comparison

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    To be fair, 90% are complying with the regulations, there's actually a train of thought from some 'sources' that it's being better observed than the government initially thought, and in turn the economy has taken a bigger hit than expected as they believed shops like b and q may stay open and believe would get jobs done, amongst other things..

It's difficult to trust some of sources however the government are said to think the economic impact may result in around 150,000 deaths in the long run..

All the measures are purely to slow the strain on the NHS, not to stop people getting the disease and ultimately dying. For all the deaths it'll be interesting to see how much the death rate is in comparison to a similar period to say the last five years. Looking at the hospital admissions and ICU admissions, the figures do tend to point to a leveling out, however we're probably at least a week from knowing for sure.
    On the economic impact a number of countries have introduced very few restrictions, and it'll be interesting to see their death rate in comparison
    It probably won't be that different given that many people who are dying would have probably died soon anyway. The cruel difference here is that they're being robbed of the chance to have their family and friends around at the end of their life, just doing the stuff that people normally do in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    You’re right, many in our society are unwilling or basically thick, for want of a better word. That’s why the government needed to introduce more draconian measures, similar to Italy/Spain/Belgium (judging by what Belgian saint is saying) that way we may not be facing treble the amount of deaths. Let’s not forget we also had a 3 week head start on most of these countries and didn’t learn lessons from it, instead we allowed 250,000 to attend the Cheltenham festival, thousands to attend concerts (stereophonics springs to mind)thousands of Madrid fans to come and watch their team play Liverpool when they weren’t allowed to watch them in their own country!!!. Not to mention the lack of PPE equipment for NHS workers or the testing and tracing of the virus. An area where we are way behind other nations. So yes, the government could have done and should be doing way more
    We also had a reasonable amount of time to judge which EU country was applying the best model which was Germany on there Test=Trace=Treat, I understand quite a lot of young Germans flew to Bergamo on the way to skiing in the Italian Alps quite a few came back and were traced and tested after some positive virus results in Bavaria.

Whilst up to last week we were still receiving flights from the hotspots of New York, Madrid, Milan and Rome without checks, I,m surprised that Spain and France haven't done much more testing than us despite being nearly 2 weeks in advance, this Virus will also make the EU think again on the federalism ideology as independent countries are locked in their own pandemic bubbles.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Germany had 266 deaths yesterday, following 250 a day earlier, so it may have simply delayed the inevitable..

However there's no doubting their health service is better funded than ours, seemingly they have a semi private/public health system.

We also had a reasonable amount of time to judge which EU country was applying the best model which was Germany on there Test=Trace=Treat, I understand quite a lot of young Germans flew to Bergamo on the way to skiing in the Italian Alps quite a few came back and were traced and tested after some positive virus results in Bavaria.

Whilst up to last week we were still receiving flights from the hotspots of New York, Madrid, Milan and Rome without checks, I,m surprised that Spain and France haven't done much more testing than us despite being nearly 2 weeks in advance, this Virus will also make the EU think again on the federalism ideology as independent countries are locked in their own pandemic bubbles.
    I think the reason for so little testing in Spain is a lack of capacity. They don't have the means to test, and due to global demand are unable to buy it in. They did get 1000's of kits from China which were all faulty and had to be returned. The have had no luck with ventilators either they bought a load from India and for some reason had them assembled in Turkey, once assembled the Turks quickly confiscated them for their own use. Spain currently has a much higher percentage of deaths among confirmed cases. The PM is saying that is because they have an aging population? nothing to do with the fact that Spain has 5 ventilators to 100,00 people while Belgium has 35. I think the UK had 8 and had ordered enough to go up to 12.

Banned

I think the reason for so little testing in Spain is a lack of capacity. They don't have the means to test, and due to global demand are unable to buy it in. They did get 1000's of kits from China which were all faulty and had to be returned. The have had no luck with ventilators either they bought a load from India and for some reason had them assembled in Turkey, once assembled the Turks quickly confiscated them for their own use. Spain currently has a much higher percentage of deaths among confirmed cases. The PM is saying that is because they have an aging population? nothing to do with the fact that Spain has 5 ventilators to 100,00 people while Belgium has 35. I think the UK had 8 and had ordered enough to go up to 12.
    I heard the same about Turkey, that arsehole they have in charge needs his wings severely clipping anyway but if that's true then we need to absolutely hammer them with sanctions, same goes for the Chinese is it transpires it was because of their irresponsibility that this got so out of control.

I heard the same about Turkey, that arsehole they have in charge needs his wings severely clipping anyway but if that's true then we need to absolutely hammer them with sanctions, same goes for the Chinese is it transpires it was because of their irresponsibility that this got so out of control.
    No idea about the veracity, but the story from people working in Wuhan is that members of the Chinese military working at the Biological warfare plant there, regularly sell animals at the market that were supposed to have been put to death. As I said I don't know if this is true but it came from people working there.

No idea about the veracity, but the story from people working in Wuhan is that members of the Chinese military working at the Biological warfare plant there, regularly sell animals at the market that were supposed to have been put to death. As I said I don't know if this is true but it came from people working there.
    I think it was a few years ago they said something similar that the SARS outbreak came from the virus testing on animals, one of the lab test leaders was selling off the animals to the markets.

When this is all over I should imagine there will be questions on why 1.6 million people from the west capitalists countries have been infected with the virus whilst China is less than 100k. Also China will recover quickly with their economy whilst the wests economies will be in tatters for a couple of years.