Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    And that's no surprise. Countries like that will always behave better than we will. We could be in a far better situation than lockdown at the moment if it weren't for the spoilt behaviour of people. In places like that if they say maintain social distancing the vast majority just do it and it's seen as uncool to not. Over here, as soon as you tell someone not to do something, there is a massive clamour to do it. And not just from the council house tearaways you'd expect, it's middle aged people from good backgrounds who are taking day trips to the seaside because they don't want their rights to be restricted. I'll never forget how people behaved that last weekend before lockdown. Absolute fools.

My Granddad always used to tell me we won the wars not because of those on the front line like him, but because of the people who stayed at home. These days we'd have a civil war on our hands never mind a national effort to help the country. All because Gemma and Steve can't do without kit kats and don't like being told what to do.
    I agree with all your points, it's not a big deal here and people just get on with it as best as they can, although there's just less than 6 million people here compared to 10 times that in UK but with that in mind you'd think people would be even more careful.

In all honesty I wish I could be at home as I'm not feeling too great today (not corona symptoms) but I know I'm better off/safer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    people seem a more sensible than in the UK, they follow the rules and make them work.

people aren't turning into complete •••• wits.
    Same here. It's hard watching some of the pictures we see coming out of the UK. I'm never sure whether they are real or just exaggerated. We've been on lockdown since before there were any fatalities and our curve isn't rising exponentially despite heaps of testing. Time will tell if this is a good move or not depending on what happens when things get back to normal again but I think it's been handled very well over here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by singe View Post
    Same here. It's hard watching some of the pictures we see coming out of the UK. I'm never sure whether they are real or just exaggerated. We've been on lockdown since before there were any fatalities and our curve isn't rising exponentially despite heaps of testing. Time will tell if this is a good move or not depending on what happens when things get back to normal again but I think it's been handled very well over here.
    I don't think the London Area and the South East are playing ball, we have our idiots in the North but I don't think we are as bad. When you see in the first week of shutdown packed tube trains lots of commutes from the Midlands and Sussex into London, the likes of the London parks and Brighton beaches full of packed sun bathers.

Because of it they are putting more NHS resources into London with thousands of more hospital beds and extra staff, similar with the testing, whilst here in the North we seem to be second best and relying on the helpers in the community more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by singe View Post
    Yeah, I think it's been handled well here too. I stayed away from work today as I'm not feeling great, looking out of the apartment and there's hardly anyone about save for the odd jogger or dog walker. I'm actually considering coming home as I feel guilty about working while so many are having to sit it out but I'd probably be in more danger back home by the sounds of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think the London Area and the South East are playing ball, we have our idiots in the North but I don't think we are as bad. When you see in the first week of shutdown packed tube trains lots of commutes from the Midlands and Sussex into London, the likes of the London parks and Brighton beaches full of packed sun bathers.

Because of it they are putting more NHS resources into London with thousands of more hospital beds and extra staff, similar with the testing, whilst here in the North we seem to be second best and relying on the helpers in the community more.
    Nothing new there then.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

So was it London or SE folks rushing to Snowdonia or the Lakes?
    There's 'more' resources going into London simply because there are more people!

Banned

What I will say on both counts they cant blame the scroates. These are the upwardly mobile set throwing two fingers up. Calderwood in Scotland between her and Jimmy Crankie Sturgen what a joke that was.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    So was it London or SE folks rushing to Snowdonia or the Lakes?
    There's 'more' resources going into London simply because there are more people!
    That was a couple of weeks ago compared to London + Brighton which was 2 days ago, no one is going to Snowdonia or the Lakes now but Hyde Park and Brighton Beach was full of sunbather groups and barbecue groups 2 days ago, they have already confirmed that London is the epicentre of the virus because of their complacency.

For me they should keep the large open spaces for people to distance themselves, they closed a large London park down so all the locals instead went alongside the adjacent canal tow path about 5 feet wide, there were hundreds of them.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Yeah, I think it's been handled well here too. I stayed away from work today as I'm not feeling great, looking out of the apartment and there's hardly anyone about save for the odd jogger or dog walker. I'm actually considering coming home as I feel guilty about working while so many are having to sit it out but I'd probably be in more danger back home by the sounds of it.
    I think you're right, possibly staying where you are at the moment according to the latest figures the WA10 area is the 20th highest area in England on a population per case basis, I honestly don't know why this figure is so high

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I think you're right, possibly staying where you are at the moment according to the latest figures the WA10 area is the 20th highest area in England on a population per case basis, I honestly don't know why this figure is so high
    Bloody hell, I didn't realise that. I suspect you're right in that case. I guess I'll have to see how things develope in both countries.

Could be a number of reasons. Average age? Health and fitness? Efficiency of diagnosis and/or reporting?...Or maybe they've all been out to the beach sunbathing together too?

In The South Stand

St Helens in general is very high because it has one of the highest rates of people not staying at or working from home, I read it yesterday but can't find it now. Most places are between 2% and 4.5%, St Helens was about 11.5% of people not staying at home. Whether that is because of the nature of the work in the area or the behaviour of the people I'm not sure. I was also puzzled about where the stats were from.

Banned

St Helens in general is very high because it has one of the highest rates of people not staying at or working from home, I read it yesterday but can't find it now. Most places are between 2% and 4.5%, St Helens was about 11.5% of people not staying at home. Whether that is because of the nature of the work in the area or the behaviour of the people I'm not sure. I was also puzzled about where the stats were from.
    It probably is the nature of work in the town, most can't work from home, plus same as the Italians and Spanish, the UK has an aging population. I've seen more stories from elsewhere in the country about people meeting socially.

That's the problem with stats. 95% of them are made up!

I did wonder if having several fairly large hospitals in the area was skewing figures. Obviously, most NHS staff wont be working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    That's the problem with stats. 95% of them are made up!

I did wonder if having several fairly large hospitals in the area was skewing figures. Obviously, most NHS staff wont be working from home.
    I think the working away from home might be a big factor, there isn't a lot of large scale industry or town centre commercial activity in St Helens anymore its more of a service provision for hospitals, supermarkets and carers. Couple of weeks ago St Helens were lagging behind Bolton, Warrington and Wigan for confirmed cases its only these past 7 days its gone up on a steeper curve. I suppose if St Helens people rely more on public transport than other towns that might be another factor.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I've looked at the survey and it says it excludes key workers..

However as with all statistics I take it with a pinch of salt, does it ask the question "are you leaving the house at all?" They have 750,000 users nationally, about 1.2% of the population

Does it cover exemptions etc.

Or is it another click bait article being rolled out by the Echo.

I'll say that I've not seen any gatherings, even though the parks have a few people in them, pretty much all are staying out of each others way. Went over the dream yesterday, and although probably saw 100 people or so, everyone was keeping their distance and was all families

Banned

And that's no surprise. Countries like that will always behave better than we will. We could be in a far better situation than lockdown at the moment if it weren't for the spoilt behaviour of people. In places like that if they say maintain social distancing the vast majority just do it and it's seen as uncool to not. Over here, as soon as you tell someone not to do something, there is a massive clamour to do it. And not just from the council house tearaways you'd expect, it's middle aged people from good backgrounds who are taking day trips to the seaside because they don't want their rights to be restricted. I'll never forget how people behaved that last weekend before lockdown. Absolute fools.

My Granddad always used to tell me we won the wars not because of those on the front line like him, but because of the people who stayed at home. These days we'd have a civil war on our hands never mind a national effort to help the country. All because Gemma and Steve can't do without kit kats and don't like being told what to do.

We were told in the 80's by some evil b*tch that there's no such thing as society, and encouraged to just think of and look after ourselves, and sod everyone else. If your livelihood collapsed, just get on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I've looked at the survey and it says it excludes key workers..

However as with all statistics I take it with a pinch of salt, does it ask the question "are you leaving the house at all?" They have 750,000 users nationally, about 1.2% of the population

Does it cover exemptions etc.

Or is it another click bait article being rolled out by the Echo.

I'll say that I've not seen any gatherings, even though the parks have a few people in them, pretty much all are staying out of each others way. Went over the dream yesterday, and although probably saw 100 people or so, everyone was keeping their distance and was all families
    I'd take what the Echo says with a pinch of salt.

Nothing but a clickbait rag

Banned

Lost an old workmate to it this morning poor sod. At least he'd had a decent life.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Very sad news and for those affected by it, still think just at very distant to a lot of people which isn't helping the lockdown measures

Interesting daily briefing yesterday, and they clearly didn't want to appear too positive ahead of a bank holiday

I reckon we'll probably see the schools open about two weeks after the Easter holidays should have finished, and non essential shops to reopen with social distancing by early may

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Very sad news and for those affected by it, still think just at very distant to a lot of people which isn't helping the lockdown measures

Interesting daily briefing yesterday, and they clearly didn't want to appear too positive ahead of a bank holiday

I reckon we'll probably see the schools open about two weeks after the Easter holidays should have finished, and non essential shops to reopen with social distancing by early may
    Can't see schools reopening then. My guess would be after the end of what would have been the Whit half term hols.

Shops allowed to reopen a couple of weeks before that. Pubs, cafes & restaurants to stay closed. No big gatherings of fans for sporting events, either, I reckon until August at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Can't see schools reopening then. My guess would be after the end of what would have been the Whit half term hols.

Shops allowed to reopen a couple of weeks before that. Pubs, cafes & restaurants to stay closed. No big gatherings of fans for sporting events, either, I reckon until August at least.
    Think that's a pretty good assessment of the situation.

Not really been that fussed about no rugby but today I was. Been Saints v Wigan every year I can remember bar 2002 & 2009 when it got moved

Banned

Apparently the schools are opening here on Wednesday for some strange reason. I'm not holding my breath on the pubs just yet.

Banned

How are people on here finding the restrictions / impacts of the virus to their overall mindset? I’ll say in honesty that I’ve found it difficult; my wife is overseas and is delayed getting home, there are one or two big things we had planned that had to be scrapped and I’ve little routine. It feels time just idles by with little consequence- almost like it does for a drug addict but in my case without the drugs. As I say I’ve found it tough and it’s made me anxious. Wondering how others are doing?

Got A Season Ticket

Hi Eddie , hope you feeling ok- I'm no expert but have found some of the advice given out in newspapers have helped. Try and establish some kind of routine to you day- I am fortunate in that I am still working from home- but have set aside specific time to do certain things. I've even signed up to free on line courses - one work related and Te Reo Maori. I take breaks often and make sure I see sunlight ( here in NZ we are advised to go for walks, runs or bike rides in local area- my daughter is pushing me on the runs!) Even watching tv has become part of the routine- we have our tea, washing up and then watch one episode of a show each night- something to look forward to. Anyway so hope you can find something to create a routine around and stay safe. Ke Kaha ( Stay strong as we say in te reo)