Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Didn't quite make it to Barrow yesterday , so just stayed local went along to the 'new' ground in LEIGH , love that place went along to quite a few games last season and was really impressed with their staff , then nipped into 'goon land' = just couldn't find their ground everthing around where it yous't to be only there's this new building with the words T.E.S.C.O. written all over it but hey ho i'll nip back someday , t'night was looking at widnes @ warrington , with widnes being a ground I loved , the turnstiles had plenty of room in them and were so easy to jump over = you may think I'm kidding or am I ?
    Odsal was good for that and Headingly used to have gates 1 & 2, I'll let someone else elaborate on them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Didn't quite make it to Barrow yesterday , so just stayed local went along to the 'new' ground in LEIGH , love that place went along to quite a few games last season and was really impressed with their staff , then nipped into 'goon land' = just couldn't find their ground everthing around where it yous't to be only there's this new building with the words T.E.S.C.O. written all over it but hey ho i'll nip back someday , t'night was looking at widnes @ warrington , with widnes being a ground I loved , the turnstiles had plenty of room in them and were so easy to jump over = you may think I'm kidding or am I ?
    I remember going to a mid week Challenge Cup replay there in 61. If you had a letter from your parents/programme etc to show you attended the draw you got the afternoon off school to go. I remember we went on a train and climbed over the wall at Naughton park. Don't remember much about the game, I was too young, but what a season that was and nearly went out of the cup in the early stages.

In The South Stand

Keep going with your head down Roy and all the best for the future , enjoy what you can.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I always remember 1990-91 when there was a really good title race between Wigan, Widnes and Hull. Widnes were set to play Hull at Naughton Park (it was an evening kick off so must have been a rescheduled match) and I can't remember ever being so fascinated by wanting to go to a game not involving Saints. This was before wall to wall games on TV... you were either in the ground or you didn't see it. The area around the ground was buzzing with Hull fans everywhere. I soon realised that the game had been called off (I think due to a frozen pitch) so I was scooting around trying to find a pay phone to get picked up a couple of hours earlier than I agreed with my Dad.

I may have the dates wrong, but I think that was a week or two before Hull turned up on the Monday night for the rescheduled league game at Knowsley Road, with the Les Quirk 'orgasmic proportions' last minute winner which I'll always remember for the jump around whilst screaming and hugging people. Hull played the game at Widnes a week or so after the defeat at Saints and got a bit of a pasting by Widnes if I remember (I went to that game as well) and their title bid basically ended with those two defeats. This was the same season as the Cup Semi Final with Widnes at Central Park which was one of the best days of my young life at the time.

I think that spring of 1991 was the time I loved RL the most in my life. I couldn't ever imagine being excited enough about two other teams playing each other in a league game nowadays or at any point in the last 20 years really, but back then with proper league seasons and proper title races (and a scarcity of games on TV) it was an enjoyable time, even if Saints weren't winning trophies at that stage. Widnes had a great team and Naughton Park wasn't particularly further from my house in Sutton than KR, so that old ground played a small part in my love of the game back then.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Good on you mate , hope everything is working out for you , we've all been classed as can I say 'tough characters' in our time meaning we can cope with anything , but sometimes just sometimes things mount up just that bit too much , always read your posts there's some belters , keep going wi yed down as they say over the hill.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Don't lose faith guys and girls, most if, not all, of the greatest brains are fighting this virus. The pictures tonight out of Italy were distressing but rest assured that we will beat this in the end.

We are (UK) looking at a promising vaccine that could? Be ready in a few months not years.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...accine-science

Take care and follow the upto date advice.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Does it? Are you a real person and not a bot? You honestly believe that stuff? That it's fake or just flu and a construct of Trump and Russian colusion? If so, why would China close for weeks and lose incredible amounts of wealth. Why would the UK just go along with it, again with the risk of massive economic problems and social unrest? I can see why Trump might do it with it being election year, allegations of fake terrrorist attacks and major disasters are common in election years.

If we take it that it's true, that it's just flu or entirely fake. Why would almost every country in the world go along with it and why isn't there anyone speaking out through more maintstream sources about it? Who benefits from all this worldwide conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Don't lose faith guys and girls, most if, not all, of the greatest brains are fighting this virus. The pictures tonight out of Italy were distressing but rest assured that we will beat this in the end.

We are (UK) looking at a promising vaccine that could? Be ready in a few months not years.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...accine-science

Take care and follow the upto date advice.
    After seeing that video that the critical care nurse did coming off a 48 hour shift or something similar and she's then faced with empty shelves and unable to feed herself properly and then most likely will have to do it all again, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in people actually following anything.

These people with all the time in the world go & fill their boots in the supermarkets, leaving the likes of that lady who are literally working to the point of collapse, pretty much hung out to dry.

It's taken me 4 trips from Monday to Thursday night to actually get the food in I need & I still can't get any bread but I'm not exhausted like she is, nor am as I important in the current situation as she is.

People can't even get their money back from events/holidays/flights that aren't going ahead. Money that would most likely be spent in local shops at present being that the supermarkets are stripped
    People/companies are just bothered about themselves.

I have every faith in the people trying to find out how to get on top of covid 19. But there are so many selfish people out there

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

It says more about you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It says more about you.
    I didn't want to state the obvious.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remember going to a mid week Challenge Cup replay there in 61. If you had a letter from your parents/programme etc to show you attended the draw you got the afternoon off school to go. I remember we went on a train and climbed over the wall at Naughton park. Don't remember much about the game, I was too young, but what a season that was and nearly went out of the cup in the early stages.
    I'd forgotten all about those occasional midweek afternoon kick offs before we had floodlights, I seem to remember cup replays kicking off at about 4.30pm in the spring, going more or less straight from school to the ground or is my memory playing tricks.One of the few programmes I've kept hold of is the Grand Switch on of the flood lights against an Other Nationalities side with Clay as the referee, and highlights being shown the following night on the mid week BBC Sports programme with Peter Dimmock. The sad thing is I remember the oooohhhh coming from the crowd when the lights were turned on and tries from that game better than a lot of games of recent years

In The South Stand

It is good to be able to remember those times ,mine was a game at Widnes a cup tie it had to be against Barrow , a raw which led to one of the best games I ever saw the replay at Wigan , you had to leave work early to catch a special train from StHelens but what a game it was still going to be a draw until Steve Llewellyn scored what I have described as one of the best tries ever maybe it was the atmosphere but even the Barrow fans clapped it , good old afternoon games .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Does it? Are you a real person and not a bot? You honestly believe that stuff? That it's fake or just flu and a construct of Trump and Russian colusion? If so, why would China close for weeks and lose incredible amounts of wealth. Why would the UK just go along with it, again with the risk of massive economic problems and social unrest? I can see why Trump might do it with it being election year, allegations of fake terrrorist attacks and major disasters are common in election years.

If we take it that it's true, that it's just flu or entirely fake. Why would almost every country in the world go along with it and why isn't there anyone speaking out through more maintstream sources about it? Who benefits from all this worldwide conspiracy?
    Greta Thunberg is behind it. She’s got the planes out of the skies, reduced most travel and even cleaned up the Venetian canals. I’m not quite sure how a schoolgirl can have achieved all that but it must be true.

I think Andym is a bot or the victim of bots. Russia may not be behind the virus but their spooks seem to delight in spreading misinformation.

In The South Stand

Andym must be aware that the article he posted is, to say the least, dubious because it contains:

“20. The media lied about the Trump/Russia collusion hoax, there was none. The media lied about the Trump impeachment story, there was no crime there.”

Does anyone in their right mind believe those two claims? Trump got off because cowardly Republicans resisted witnesses giving evidence during the impeachment process. Putin and his spooks and bots have interfered in most Western elections and the Brexit fiasco. Johnson still refuses to release the Russian report.

Reports by Italian doctors and an account of the illness by the first Brit who caught it (he was only in his twenties) have made me conclude that the threat from the Coronavirus has to be taken seriously. If Andym were actually taken seriously by gullible individuals, he could actually put lives at risk. Maybe he thinks that posting rubbish (just like stockpiling toilet rolls and voting Tory) will protect him from catching it. I hope it does.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    It is good to be able to remember those times ,mine was a game at Widnes a cup tie it had to be against Barrow , a raw which led to one of the best games I ever saw the replay at Wigan , you had to leave work early to catch a special train from StHelens but what a game it was still going to be a draw until Steve Llewellyn scored what I have described as one of the best tries ever maybe it was the atmosphere but even the Barrow fans clapped it , good old afternoon games .
    Didn’t we play Bramley in the BBC2 Floodlit Cup semi away during an afternoon back in 1973? Due to the ‘three day week’ I think.

In The South Stand

Governments and the media lie. Why are there no animals with the virus? They don't have respiratory organs, then? It's a hoax. Only those who believe the fake news are posting rubbish.
    Fake news is a phrase used by the likes of Donald Trump to discredit serious news agencies. You’re falling for an agenda pushed by the Right.

In The South Stand

Jack Reacher I don't remember the Bramley game there were lots of afternoon games then but I couldn't forget the one I described 1956 it was then the next cup game was Wembley . If you can try to see a report about that replay it defies description.

Governments and the media lie. Why are there no animals with the virus? They don't have respiratory organs, then? It's a hoax. Only those who believe the fake news are posting rubbish.
    A hoax perpetrated by whom and to what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Jack Reacher I don't remember the Bramley game there were lots of afternoon games then but I couldn't forget the one I described 1956 it was then the next cup game was Wembley . If you can try to see a report about that replay it defies description.
    http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/match.php?seq=3505

Ged. This is from the Heritage site although it doesn't mention kick off times. I will dig further. I now recall we were short of players and had to borrow Bobbie Goulding's dad from Huyton to play

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/match.php?seq=3505

Ged. This is from the Heritage site although it doesn't mention kick off times. I will dig further. I now recall we were short of players and had to borrow Bobbie Goulding's dad from Huyton to play
    Found this https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorks...81934540753258

Banned

You're correct and I've just seen a flying saucer over Eccleston field with green men flicking the V's at passers by.

Knobhead.

Animals do have corona viruses though. Bats and snakes being a good example

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Fake news is a phrase used by the likes of Donald Trump to discredit serious news agencies. You’re falling for an agenda pushed by the Right.
    Sorry mate, but I think you're falling for andym's fishing bait.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Sorry mate, but I think you're falling for andym's fishing bait.
    Possibly but he shouldn’t be putting American Religious Right stuff out when there is a serious epidemic.

In The South Stand

No I don't remember the Bramley game Jack but a lot of those player can and I think I am right in saying that Taylors death was featured on Saints website very recently.