Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Corona virus strikes.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm hearing that cases in St Helens beginning to spike again.

The NHS '111 Triage' figures seem to back this up - https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/nh...ways#dashboard

If we do get a spike significant to have local restrictions imposed, I don't know how that would impact the staging of games at TTWS
    The triage site is about enquiries and not positive cases though. So people could have a sniffle, think it may be Covid, and make an enquiry about whether a sniffle is likely to be Covid. That would then be registered on the triage site.

It seems we have had nine cases since Wednesday. I read that in today's St Helens Star but which Wednesday the article was referring to I'm not sure because it went on to report that the Council said that for the week up to 4 August our rate had reduced to 1.1 in 100,000 from 2.8 the week prior. It may be that the Star was reporting the past 24 hours, which would be unusual but if nine cases had occurred in 24 hours then it would be worth reporting as that in itself is unusual for St Helens. The Gerard could be the problem if that is the current situation. If the nine cases DO relate to the last 24 hours and if the Gerard IS the problem then we should be ok as that can be controlled, assuming people take track and trace seriously and self-isolate.

Sadly one person died in the past week. We haven't had a death since 17 July. The good news is that there have been no Covid cases in care or nursing homes for two weeks now. Let's hope they remain Covid free from now on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    The triage site is about enquiries and not positive cases though. So people could have a sniffle, think it may be Covid, and make an enquiry about whether a sniffle is likely to be Covid. That would then be registered on the triage site.

It seems we have had nine cases since Wednesday. I read that in today's St Helens Star but which Wednesday the article was referring to I'm not sure because it went on to report that the Council said that for the week up to 4 August our rate had reduced to 1.1 in 100,000 from 2.8 the week prior. It may be that the Star was reporting the past 24 hours, which would be unusual but if nine cases had occurred in 24 hours then it would be worth reporting as that in itself is unusual for St Helens. The Gerard could be the problem if that is the current situation. If the nine cases DO relate to the last 24 hours and if the Gerard IS the problem then we should be ok as that can be controlled, assuming people take track and trace seriously and self-isolate.

Sadly one person died in the past week. We haven't had a death since 17 July. The good news is that there have been no Covid cases in care or nursing homes for two weeks now. Let's hope they remain Covid free from now on.
    I’d find it difficult to take track and trace seriously just like anything else straight talking Tony has touched. Everything the man is near turns to stone. Lord help Santander and its customers.
    Might think he has the gift of the gab but the man is an absolute cock.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 6th August 2020 at 23:49.

Banned

They're starting to dismantle the Nightingale hospital which I'm assuming is a significant step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

The best thing people can do, is IGNORE the mainstream press like the Daily Mail and the Sun. If you believe what the Mail is peddling this week, we are about to see a second wave of biblical proportions. BREAKING NEWS - Infections increase AGAIN. etc etc

There is a reason, infections are increasing, but the mainstream media wont tell you the reason as fear, sells papers and gets traffic to their website.

More and more top scientists are confirming the reason. More testing. Its really that simple. Between 1m and 2m more tests were done in the UK in July than June and we are seeing that trickle through now. If you actually look at the data properly, even though cases are rising, the number of confirmed cases to tests done, DECREASED this week. From memory, this week was 0.36% as opposed to 0.67% when we had the lowest week rolling average of new cases. Hospital admissions are at an all time low for Covid, as are deaths.

Im not saying this virus is something that should be scoffed at. Im saying the press make it out to be much worse than the data suggests. Yes, 40k people dead is awful. But how many of those actually died from Covid? We will never know but A&E admissions were down by 2million over the 3 months of lockdown compared to last year. How many deaths are attributable to that? How many deaths are attributable to cancer and heart disease treatments being stopped? I personally know of a lady who died of a heart attack and tested negative for Coronavirus TWICE but Covid-19 was put on the death certificate. Because, on her admission, the family was asked if she had any Covid symptoms. The doctors were told she had a bit of a cough (she was a smoker). Her family are challenging it but are getting nowhere.

There was a really good AMA on reddit the other day with an epidemiologist from Harvard that was really interesting. If any of you use reddit, go to r/coronavirus (which is a great sub reddit in its own right for all the covid info you need) and see if you can find it. They are really confident that a vaccine will be available by early 2021 which hopefully, will alleviate a lot of peoples fears.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    The best thing people can do, is IGNORE the mainstream press like the Daily Mail and the Sun. If you believe what the Mail is peddling this week, we are about to see a second wave of biblical proportions. BREAKING NEWS - Infections increase AGAIN. etc etc

There is a reason, infections are increasing, but the mainstream media wont tell you the reason as fear, sells papers and gets traffic to their website.

More and more top scientists are confirming the reason. More testing. Its really that simple. Between 1m and 2m more tests were done in the UK in July than June and we are seeing that trickle through now. If you actually look at the data properly, even though cases are rising, the number of confirmed cases to tests done, DECREASED this week. From memory, this week was 0.36% as opposed to 0.67% when we had the lowest week rolling average of new cases. Hospital admissions are at an all time low for Covid, as are deaths.

Im not saying this virus is something that should be scoffed at. Im saying the press make it out to be much worse than the data suggests. Yes, 40k people dead is awful. But how many of those actually died from Covid? We will never know but A&E admissions were down by 2million over the 3 months of lockdown compared to last year. How many deaths are attributable to that? How many deaths are attributable to cancer and heart disease treatments being stopped? I personally know of a lady who died of a heart attack and tested negative for Coronavirus TWICE but Covid-19 was put on the death certificate. Because, on her admission, the family was asked if she had any Covid symptoms. The doctors were told she had a bit of a cough (she was a smoker). Her family are challenging it but are getting nowhere.

There was a really good AMA on reddit the other day with an epidemiologist from Harvard that was really interesting. If any of you use reddit, go to r/coronavirus (which is a great sub reddit in its own right for all the covid info you need) and see if you can find it. They are really confident that a vaccine will be available by early 2021 which hopefully, will alleviate a lot of peoples fears.
    Isn't the number "of confirmed cases to test done" alway going to reduce when you are doing mass testing, rather than just testing people suspected of having the virus?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Isn't the number "of confirmed cases to test done" alway going to reduce when you are doing mass testing, rather than just testing people suspected of having the virus?
    The thing is the ONS has cases of infection per day 500 cases lower than this time last week, 4200 last week compared with 3700 this week, so whilst there may be small localised spikes it looks like the overall trend is down.

Banned

I still see selfish arseholes in shops without masks.

FFS, it's hardly much of an inconvenience for 10/20 minutes. I know they don't completely stop transmission but if they reduce the outflow of the virus from an infected person by, say, a third, and reduce the absorption of viral particles by another person by again a third, then that hugely reduces the amount of viral load being passed between people, reduces the spread of infection.

Instead, both the number of infections and proportion of positive tests are inching upwards.

Given the abysmal performance of the government in the control of the virus (worst performance in Europe, one of the worst in the world) and a track & trace system that is a half-arsed joke, we as a populace need to do what we can to prevent this getting out of control again.

Learning All The Songs

FFS, it's hardly much of an inconvenience for 10/20 minutes. I know they don't completely stop transmission but if they reduce the outflow of the virus from an infected person by, say, a third, and reduce the absorption of viral particles by another person by again a third, then that hugely reduces the amount of viral load being passed between people, reduces the spread of infection.

Instead, both the number of infections and proportion of positive tests are inching upwards.

Given the abysmal performance of the government in the control of the virus (worst performance in Europe, one of the worst in the world) and a track & trace system that is a half-arsed joke, we as a populace need to do what we can to prevent this getting out of control again.
    Whilst some of those not wearing a mask are selfish, there are those, like myself who suffer with a respiratory illness that means wearing a mask affects our ability to breathe, this is an exemption currently allowed. Currently i am walking round with my inhaler in my pocket, i have tried to wear a mask but cannot do so without it affecting my asthma, something previously i have rarely had an issue with.

Also the data doesnt point to infections increasing, it looks pretty flat, according to what the BBC has provided https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53695477.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Whilst some of those not wearing a mask are selfish, there are those, like myself who suffer with a respiratory illness that means wearing a mask affects our ability to breathe, this is an exemption currently allowed. Currently i am walking round with my inhaler in my pocket, i have tried to wear a mask but cannot do so without it affecting my asthma, something previously i have rarely had an issue with.

Also the data doesnt point to infections increasing, it looks pretty flat, according to what the BBC has provided https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53695477.
    I have my own opinion on masks and face covering which I won't bore you with, but you might find this link useful...https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-make-your-own
    Scroll down to the 'exemptions' bit for a printable card, badge or mobile screen.

Learning All The Songs

Webbo I agree that while wearing a mask is as you say not hardship, I think we have done enough. It was as paulscnthorpe quoted, to stop the NHS being overrun, this thankfully has not happened and we shall return to chaos and underfunding shortly.
    All life is precious (not just BLM) and any person taken too early is tragic. That sadly is life, the social and financial consequences of this are going to cost the average man and his next three generations all their working lives.
    We need to follow the best practices and move from this new normal (f@@king abnormal) back to a semblance of society, that is not judging a person who is not social distancing/wearing a face covering, sanitising their hands with a portable bottle.
    There may be worse ahead if we do not carry on as normal very quickly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Called in at Morrisons (Euxton) this afternoon, gangs of young teenagers running around with no masks, couple of pensioners with no masks, families in there with their young kids with no masks. They think its all over..........time to get tough on the selfish ignorants.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I have my own opinion on masks and face covering which I won't bore you with, but you might find this link useful...https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-make-your-own
    Scroll down to the 'exemptions' bit for a printable card, badge or mobile screen.
    Thanks Barry, greatly appreciated, i have something through Asthma UK showing an exemption, but it would be easier if there was something i could wear that showed it without me having to continuously take my phone out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    The thing is the ONS has cases of infection per day 500 cases lower than this time last week, 4200 last week compared with 3700 this week, so whilst there may be small localised spikes it looks like the overall trend is down.
    I hope it continues

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    No because, according to my understanding based on the data available is that the testing sample is still the same, it’s just the testing capacity that has increased. You still need to exhibit symptoms to get a test, or if you have been told to by your doctor or local council , as was the case in June. So the two percentages are completely comparable

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    No because, according to my understanding based on the data available is that the testing sample is still the same, it’s just the testing capacity that has increased. You still need to exhibit symptoms to get a test, or if you have been told to by your doctor or local council , as was the case in June. So the two percentages are completely comparable
    Not true, if you have been contacted by test and trace you can go even if you have no symptoms. If you test positive your quarantine period is reduced from 14 days to ten days from last point of contact.

Also a large majority of NHS staff, emergency service staff and care home staff have been offered antibody tests, even if they've previously shown no symptoms. Depending on the trust those who have blood tests as part of other treatments are having antibody tests run on their blood also, this is happening in Cheshire/Merseyside.

Finally those in high risk areas can be tested without symptoms

You're absolutely spot on about the media though, they've been absolute disgrace in some of their reporting, their particular favourite at the moment is their 'percentage increases' with figures in some towns "Trebling" from 1 to three cases for example

Banned

I'm sick to ••••ing death of hearing about this shit.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Conspiracy theories will find their way to Room 101.

No need to quote and reply to them everyone, because I then have to delete your replies as well.

France on the 14 day isolation list now

Not sure how that affects Catalans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    France on the 14 day isolation list now

Not sure how that affects Catalans
    Just had a quick look and there is no obvious answer

However real Madrid played at Man City on Friday when Spain are currently on the list??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

However real Madrid played at Man City on Friday when Spain are currently on the list??
    All the CL football games are being held in a controlled environment in Portugal with very regular testing.

But in other sports, Bozo's government has made expemti0ons based on rigorous and regular testing, so perhaps that is the answer.

It's a real shitfest, though.

You're right, they did. Quarters onwards in Portugal.

Not sure if Cats are travelling to & from France (but I think they are) and as Webbo says, it's in a controlled environment the CL football.

With the Hull situation & a team being based in France, I'm just not sure

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm sick to ••••ing death of hearing about this shit.
    We will be hearing about it everyday until we’ve had Bill Gates vaccine :/
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

All the CL football games are being held in a controlled environment in Portugal with very regular testing.

But in other sports, Bozo's government has made expemti0ons based on rigorous and regular testing, so perhaps that is the answer.

It's a real shitfest, though.
    It changes with the wind, but City Vs Madrid was at the Etihad..

They've now moved on to Portugal.

To be honest, I don't see the issues in the south of France being any different to here, especially if you look at the number of cases in the Languedoc region

Banned

It changes with the wind, but City Vs Madrid was at the Etihad..

They've now moved on to Portugal.

To be honest, I don't see the issues in the south of France being any different to here, especially if you look at the number of cases in the Languedoc region

My mistake

I don't really follow fake/plastic sportwashing projects for murderous, tyrannical dictatorships.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 14th August 2020 at 20:31.