Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: “Concussion & Me”

Banned

Default “Concussion & Me”

Anyone seen this programme on BBC this evening fronted by Shane Williams ex British Lion winger. It covered a wide variety of points related to concussion, head injury, machoism & ignorance and is equally informative for both Union & League & indeed any contact sport. I found it really informative & well worth a watch with a view to initially scratching the surface of the truly debilitating condition that could result from single or multiple head bangs/traumas. Anyone who’s played the game or have kids now playing the game would benefit from watching it on catch up, perhaps they’ll screen it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Anyone seen this programme on BBC this evening fronted by Shane Williams ex British Lion winger. It covered a wide variety of points related to concussion, head injury, machoism & ignorance and is equally informative for both Union & League & indeed any contact sport. I found it really informative & well worth a watch with a view to initially scratching the surface of the truly debilitating condition that could result from single or multiple head bangs/traumas. Anyone who’s played the game or have kids now playing the game would benefit from watching it on catch up, perhaps they’ll screen it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Very interesting programme. Having suffered from concussion myself about 30 years ago, drove home and then suffered headaches and ‘absences’ for a couple of days before being hospitalised, I am so pleased that assessments now take place and no risks are taken.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

For me a huge issue at present is, are some clubs exploiting the concerns around concussion assessments to facilitate an extra substitution?
    It detracts from the genuine reasons it was brought in for player welfare.

It would be interesting to see the stats since the HIA has been brought in, how many players have recieved a HIA and returned compared to those that haven't. It would be even more interesting to see that further broken down into 10 min slots across the game.

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

That doctor who was saying all contact sports should be banned and everyone should just play basketball looked like was just out to make a name for himself.

Here is the RFLs guidance;

https://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/welfare/concussion

Had to laugh at the bit where they said world 'rugby' is introducing new rules next season where the attacking time will get a line out if they kick from inside their own 40 into the opposition 20. There a ••••ing novel idea! Gob shites
    Worth a read through for anyone whose kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    For me a huge issue at present is, are some clubs exploiting the concerns around concussion assessments to facilitate an extra substitution?
    It detracts from the genuine reasons it was brought in for player welfare.

It would be interesting to see the stats since the HIA has been brought in, how many players have recieved a HIA and returned compared to those that haven't. It would be even more interesting to see that further broken down into 10 min slots across the game.
    I don't have any stats but generally speaking I would be surprised if the players passing the headtest and returning to the field would be that high. Generally they appear to pass the initial test while on the field and then play on from there. I remember the Chris Chester incident were he tried it on but I don't think the system has been abused by any stretch.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk