Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Huddersfield

Learning All The Songs

If we have trouble at fullback again Welsby is not the player to be there, he looks so vulnerable and the tackle attempt for their last try was horrendous. I would sooner Lomax go to 1, and put Welsby in the halves if he is going to be given another run out. Speaking to people today who went the game and what they have seen of the six matches they are not impressed with Woolf. I think last night’s loss too Huddersfield didn’t help, and the mad idea of putting Knowles at centre. He probably won’t admit to it but that was a ridiculous idea. I thought Roby did really well to play the full eighty minutes.

Banned

So a young lad, who is lacking in confidence, while being found out on a number of fronts at Super League level should/could be played at 6 and so become the architect of our attacking plays away at Castleford?

He doesn’t have to play, there’s no divine right to have to play him. He needs time out of the front line to shake himself down. The squad consists of 30 players who should all be considered at some stage or another and no doubt the solution is in there somewhere, let’s hope KW does his job & finds it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think you're being a bit hard on Fages although I do accept he has limitations. He does have good points in that as you mention his defense is great, he'll take the line on and he keeps teams honest on their own line.

I don't know why you're getting such a hard time, you're calling it pretty well to me.
    Yeah I think you’re right there, probably took my frustration out on the wrong player. To be fair to Fages we won a Grand Final easily with him at scrum half so he does his job well and with Coote and Lomax as influential as they are he doesn’t need to be the most dynamic 7 going. Do think when Coote eventually leaves we will need a more creative player there but him, Lomax and Coote complement each other well so it’s probably not an issue yet.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    Love to see your personal referees career, I will gladly pay for a kit for you if you have the balls to try it in the middle
    The old if you’ve not done it then you can’t have an opinion bollocks. As I said I don’t like slating refs when they make the odd mistake,it’s a tough job and they get enough stick but Hewer was a disgrace. At the bare minimum a professional referee should in good enough physical condition to keep up with what’s going on but he can’t even do that. Not to mention his inability to make any decision on his own, instead having to look over to his touch judge 5 times before eventually giving a penalty because their players threw their arms in the air. Personal favourite was the one about two minutes from the end where he gave a high tackle purely because the Huddersfield stayed down, about 20 seconds after waving play on.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Personal favourite was the one about two minutes from the end where he gave a high tackle purely because the Huddersfield stayed down, about 20 seconds after waving play on.
    Yes. Absolutely unfathomable. It’s not like the touch judge even had a word. I know sometimes refs make a quick reversal after word from a TJ, but that’s the longest I’ve seen a decision stand for then be reversed without any reason whatsoever

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I don't like to complain about refs because I have done the course and know how tricky it can be but friday's game was officiated at the speed of the referee not at the speed of the players ability which suited the Giants. Having said that we were awful on attack and need to sort that out. Missing your two most creative players is a big problem for the coach though. Personally I think our kicking game is not good enough and one dimensional eg we rarely make more than 10 yards with a touch kick from a penalty and do nothing but hoof it as high as we can on the last. We need to get more variety in.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Watching the highlights back it's a game that we should've won comfortably.

Naiqama should've passed to Makinson and he'd have walked in, Costello dropped it on Hudds line in the act of scoring and the disallowed obstruction try very dubious. On another day we'd have been out of sight.

Huddersfield had two chances and took them, fair play to them but we lost that one rather than them winning it. We simply weren't clinical enough. Our attack has to start showing signs of improvement in the next few weeks otherwise we could have more frustrating nights ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    The old if you’ve not done it then you can’t have an opinion bollocks. As I said I don’t like slating refs when they make the odd mistake,it’s a tough job and they get enough stick but Hewer was a disgrace. At the bare minimum a professional referee should in good enough physical condition to keep up with what’s going on but he can’t even do that. Not to mention his inability to make any decision on his own, instead having to look over to his touch judge 5 times before eventually giving a penalty because their players threw their arms in the air. Personal favourite was the one about two minutes from the end where he gave a high tackle purely because the Huddersfield stayed down, about 20 seconds after waving play on.
    I only listened to the game on the radio and so can’t comment too much about the performance or the officiating. What I do know, however, is that you’re always the first to stick up for referees when others complain about them. Hewer must have been bad if you say he was a disgrace.

Starting A Programme Collection

The frustrating thing about the game was the lack of variation in our play. Everything goes through Lomax, mainly on the left flank. SuperLeague's best attack/defending centre is missing but they persist in going left. We have a class right flank but when does Tommy get sight of the ball? The one man up the middle tactic fell into Hudd's hands. We were very predictable in our play. Take Peyroux - he steps off his right every time so even the thickest defender can be ready for that. We had chances and on another night may have won. All's not lost but that persistant left flank attack is worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    The frustrating thing about the game was the lack of variation in our play. Everything goes through Lomax, mainly on the left flank. SuperLeague's best attack/defending centre is missing but they persist in going left. We have a class right flank but when does Tommy get sight of the ball? The one man up the middle tactic fell into Hudd's hands. We were very predictable in our play. Take Peyroux - he steps off his right every time so even the thickest defender can be ready for that. We had chances and on another night may have won. All's not lost but that persistant left flank attack is worrying.
    That's easily fixed. Lomax has to switch to the right every so often.

Everything goes through him, all he needs to do is call a play with him moving right of the ruck to Peyroux's side.

It really isn't that hard. That is entirely Lomax's problem. No further discussion needed. He's the brains on the pitch.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Naiqama should've passed to Makinson and he'd have walked in, Costello dropped it on Hudds line in the act of scoring and the disallowed obstruction try very dubious. On another day we'd have been out of sight.

Huddersfield had two chances and took them, fair play to them but we lost that one rather than them winning it. We simply weren't clinical enough. Our attack has to start showing signs of improvement in the next few weeks otherwise we could have more frustrating nights ahead.
    Yes, I noticed that Naiqama and Makinson made some poor decisions on Friday, Makinson decision making was responsible for the Giants try's. First try he palmed the high kick over Welsby's head into the in goal area, the second try he shot out of the line too early to stop the overlap with Welsby not quick enough to cover across and ended up clutching at straws.

The other one you mentioned was Welsby joining the line and sending out a good timed pass out to Naiqama who drew in the 2 players but tried to go through them instead of sending Makinson clear to the line.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I think you need to factor in a few things.

1) WCC, history shows that it takes our teams three to four weeks to get back on track after we've played in them.

2) Change of coach, although the changes they want to make may seem minimal to us speccies they still take time to implement.

3) Saints are the current Superleage Champions so are a "bulls eye" for the opposition.

And as for the "old soldier" HIA, I've mentioned before, Hudds, Catalan Wire and Hull seem to do it more than any other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I think you need to factor in a few things.

1) WCC, history shows that it takes our teams three to four weeks to get back on track after we've played in them.

2) Change of coach, although the changes they want to make may seem minimal to us speccies they still take time to implement.

3) Saints are the current Superleage Champions so are a "bulls eye" for the opposition.

And as for the "old soldier" HIA, I've mentioned before, Hudds, Catalan Wire and Hull seem to do it more than any other teams.
    You're completely spot on. Great post

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Yes. Absolutely unfathomable. It’s not like the touch judge even had a word. I know sometimes refs make a quick reversal after word from a TJ, but that’s the longest I’ve seen a decision stand for then be reversed without any reason whatsoever
    There was a cheap shot put in near the end, wouldn't be surprised to see a ban if the RFL review it.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You're completely spot on. Great post
    It's called "experience" or being "a grumpy old barsteward" I'll let you all decide on here.

I could even start a spreadsheet.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

just seen the highlights and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the disallowed try. Hewer should be no where near a SL game-totally incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    just seen the highlights and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the disallowed try. Hewer should be no where near a SL game-totally incompetent.
    If it had been a Sky game he would have gone to the screen no doubt. Obstruction decisions , unless bang on obvious, are very difficult to rule against in live play which is why I find it difficult to
    understand why he gave it without the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    It's called "experience" or being "a grumpy old barsteward" I'll let you all decide on here.

I could even start a spreadsheet.
    Ha ha ha. I like it.

Teams will raise their game against us & we'll have to deal with it.

Sure there'll be a fired up wigan rocking up to Langtree on Good Friday

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    So a young lad, who is lacking in confidence, while being found out on a number of fronts at Super League level should/could be played at 6 and so become the architect of our attacking plays away at Castleford?

He doesn’t have to play, there’s no divine right to have to play him. He needs time out of the front line to shake himself down. The squad consists of 30 players who should all be considered at some stage or another and no doubt the solution is in there somewhere, let’s hope KW does his job & finds it.
    I thought he was meant to a promising young player coming through the academy, who could be very good in the halves. So if that was the case with Coote out injured, wouldn’t it have been better putting Welsby in the halves and moving Lomax to fullback. It is quite clear that Welsby is anything but a fullback and has cost us some tries so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Peyroux has always been a bottleneck for the right side attack. Big right step and ball dies with him too often. Too easy to read and a big contrast to Taia.

Banned

Point is my personal view is he’s not a Super League 6 either

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Point is my personal view is he’s not a Super League 6 either

??????

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    ??????
    Presume he means Welsby but forgot to quote.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Few ales this afternoon but I thought he meant Lomax, you're most likely right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Sorry yes I did but ‘pramtown’ quoted inside my quote so only left a heading otherwise it would’ve followed on