Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Huddersfield

Learning All The Songs

If nothing else at least it puts to bed this notion that all we're doing is wrestling under Woolf. God forbid we ever get anywhere near the turgid levels that Huddersfield hit tonight. Total anti-rugby at times. Which is bizarre because their defence is actually very good.

We need to smarten up though, on and off the field. Hopefully this is just an early experimentation phase but it's disappointing to see the square peg - round hole approach being used so much. Not seeing anyone really grab the game by the scruff of the neck though regardless of tactics and the kid who is getting a regular chance isn't really doing anything with in, as harsh as that may sound on Welsby.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I thought the Knowles decision was a strange one, I didn’t see it coming and I don’t think it worked. I like LMS as a player but with our attack, I do think that it’s really important that we have a ball playing 13 on the pitch, particularly at the start of the game. Knowles obviously has a good pair of hands and knows when to either keep hold, play short or play it out the back to Lomax and we certainly missed that tonight. There were times when LMS should have passed and he didn’t, he just took the ball in instead. When we put Knowles back at 13 in the second half, we played a lot more rugby and looked an awful lot better, despite not scoring. I don’t know why he went down that route but he did and it cost us.

I’m a bit concerned with our attack near the line, I thought we looked a bit stale and predictable tonight. From penalty and scrum restarts etc, we look to be attacking with almost identical plays and sets of six to last season and I do fear that we’ve been figured out a little bit. Somehow we need to change and freshen that up. We seemed to be relying on a bit of magic tonight to score points and you can’t rely on that all the time.

I thought those two areas cost us the game really. Their second try was pretty disgraceful though it has to be said from a Saints point of view, such a soft try to give away.

Thought Roby had his best game of the year so far and Amor looked good as well. Good that Roby and Knowles got/got another 80 mins under their belts too and they’ll be better for that today.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 7th March 2020 at 00:27.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Trying not to overreact but that was shocking and embarrassing. My thoughts on that are as follows:

Huddersfield are sh*te and we’ve just made them look half decent.
    Knowles at centre with Costello on the bench has to be one of the most baffling and ridiculous tactical decisions I’ve seen.
    On Costello, that should be the last we see of him the lad is bloody terrible and it staggers me that people have actually defended Paulo, pointless, garbage player who we need to get rid of.
    I hope I never see another inside ball to Thompson or Walmsley again, seems to be the only move they’re comfortable with. The lack of creativity is very worrying, not sure there was an offload until the last 10 minutes when we started aimlessly flinging it about.
    We missed Smith who at present offers more with the ball than Roby.
    Hopefully Coote’s back for Cas but Welsby needs dropping regardless, hasn’t had one impressive moment since the Salford game. Currently he’s nowhere near the required level.
    This’ll be unpopular but Theo Fages is a bang average scrum half, robotic and has no flair at all, we get away with him when Coote and Lomax are in the team but take one out and Fages gets exposed badly in attack. Never going to have 17 superstars in a salary capped sport but in a position as key as scrum half we need someone better.

Crap start to Woolf’s tenure and if similar performances (and results) follow he’ll soon find himself in trouble. The only mitigating factor is no Coote but we should be putting 40 on Huddersfield even without him. Almost impressive how far backwards we’ve gone in attack. He really needs wins against both Cas and Leeds with a fair few points on the board in each.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I think there’s some real knee-jerk reactions going on here tonight. Some of this talk about Cunningham-esque rugby is way off the mark.

Yes it was ugly tonight but it wasn’t through a change of tactics or Woolf making us play ultra cautious rugby. It was largely down to very poor execution along with a Huddersfield side who did nothing but spoil and frustrate and slow us down. They came here with a very specific plan and it worked. It’s awful to watch but it was effective. A proper “smash and grab” win. They defended their line well and took one of their very few chances.

Us on the other hand just had one of those nights. That’s all it is. There’s some melodramatic nonsense being written tonight but I’m not concerned about us in the slightest. It literally was just one of those nights. The return of Coote will make a huge difference. He adds so much control and composure in the final 3rd of the pitch. He would’ve turned some of that possession into points tonight I’m sure.

Some of our last tackle options were very poor. I think probably 5 or 6 times we were tackled in possession on the last when we could have either made an attacking kick or tried to force a repeat set. We were very dumb at times but again, that wasn’t a result of Woolf suddenly imitating Cunningham. The players have to take responsibility tonight.

Finally, without making excuses because we benefited from some bad calls too at time, the ref was an absolute disgrace. He made some mind boggling decisions but one or two in particular were borderline corrupt. The one where he signalled last tackle for Huddersfield and waved away calls for a high tackle, to then change his mind when the player stayed down, was disgusting.

All in all it was a night to forget and a horrible game to watch. But anyone thinking we have regressed into our 2016 vintage overnight is well mistaken. Don’t panic!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Not one for slating referees and he’s not the reason we lost but Hewer is by far the worst referee I’ve ever seen. Didn’t have a grip on the game all night. The fat b*stard should be nowhere near League 1 never mind Super League.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Trying not to overreact but that was shocking and embarrassing. My thoughts on that are as follows:

Knowles at centre with Costello on the bench has to be one of the most baffling and ridiculous tactical decisions I’ve seen.
    On Costello, that should be the last we see of him the lad is bloody terrible and it staggers me that people have actually defended Paulo, pointless, garbage player who we need to get rid of.
    I hope I never see another inside ball to Thompson or Walmsley again, seems to be the only move they’re comfortable with. The lack of creativity is very worrying, not sure there was an offload until the last 10 minutes when we started aimlessly flinging it about.
    Hopefully Coote’s back for Cas but Welsby needs dropping regardless, hasn’t had one impressive moment since the Salford game. Currently he’s nowhere near the required level.
    This’ll be unpopular but Theo Fages is a bang average scrum half, robotic and has no flair at all, we get away with him when Coote and Lomax are in the team but take one out and Fages gets exposed badly in attack. Never going to have 17 superstars in a salary capped sport but in a position as key as scrum half we need someone better.

Crap start to Woolf’s tenure and if similar performances (and results) follow he’ll soon find himself in trouble. The only mitigating factor is no Coote but we should be putting 40 on Huddersfield even without him. Almost impressive how far backwards we’ve gone in attack. He really needs wins against both Cas and Leeds with a fair few points on the board in each.
    Good to see you being so positive, as usual. Not a good word to say about any player. Don't know why you purport to be a saints supporter .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    Good to see you being so positive, as usual. Not a good word to say about any player. Don't know why you purport to be a saints supporter .
    What on Earth were you expecting? We’ve just lost at home to Huddersfield, scoring 10 points and our 4th tryless half. Sorry for not including that I think Lomax is the best stand off in Super League and that Walmsley and Thompson are the two best props in Super League but I didn’t think it would be particularly relevant to the topic of conversation. Not a Saints fan because I didn’t have a good word to say about tonight’s performance, at least you’ve managed to give me a good laugh. Bet you were one of the fools who clapped them off.

Got A Season Ticket

What on Earth were you expecting? We’ve just lost at home to Huddersfield, scoring 10 points and our 4th tryless half. Sorry for not including that I think Lomax is the best stand off in Super League and that Walmsley and Thompson are the two best props in Super League but I didn’t think it would be particularly relevant to the topic of conversation. Not a Saints fan because I didn’t have a good word to say about tonight’s performance, at least you’ve managed to give me a good laugh. Bet you were one of the fools who clapped them off.
    No I didn't. You constantly denegrate players and uncalled for in many instances. Off to bed now after watching the cross Warrington served up. Night.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    No I didn't. You constantly denegrate players and uncalled for in many instances. Off to bed now after watching the cross Warrington served up. Night.
    Hardly, I criticise the ones who aren’t very good. Out of the current squad I’d say the only ones I’ve repeatedly criticised over the last couple of months are Paulo, Ashworth and Costello. All three are nowhere near good enough and offer nothing. If I’d moaned about Makinson, Lomax and the like then you’d have a point. However, I haven’t so you don’t.

Learning All The Songs

Knowles at Centre, Costello on the bench, a predictable kicking game, and Grace feeding the scrum. How bizarre, how bizarre.

Starting A Programme Collection

Some good points in your post but a little over the top on some.

I didn’t think we played that badly and certainly not as badly as some on here have said. You have to give enormous credit to Huddersfield for the way they defended their line. So many players were through and stopped by some magnificent tackling. In the end it came down to a poor missed tackle by Welsby which let them in for their second try in what was their only foray into our 22. It reminded me of the Roosters game in the way it panned out. The Lomax no try, the Costello losing it over the line and the Naiquama failure to pass to Makinson were decisive in the end.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think there’s some real knee-jerk reactions going on here tonight. Some of this talk about Cunningham-esque rugby is way off the mark.

Yes it was ugly tonight but it wasn’t through a change of tactics or Woolf making us play ultra cautious rugby. It was largely down to very poor execution along with a Huddersfield side who did nothing but spoil and frustrate and slow us down. They came here with a very specific plan and it worked. It’s awful to watch but it was effective. A proper “smash and grab” win. They defended their line well and took one of their very few chances.

Us on the other hand just had one of those nights. That’s all it is. There’s some melodramatic nonsense being written tonight but I’m not concerned about us in the slightest. It literally was just one of those nights. The return of Coote will make a huge difference. He adds so much control and composure in the final 3rd of the pitch. He would’ve turned some of that possession into points tonight I’m sure.

Some of our last tackle options were very poor. I think probably 5 or 6 times we were tackled in possession on the last when we could have either made an attacking kick or tried to force a repeat set. We were very dumb at times but again, that wasn’t a result of Woolf suddenly imitating Cunningham. The players have to take responsibility tonight.

Finally, without making excuses because we benefited from some bad calls too at time, the ref was an absolute disgrace. He made some mind boggling decisions but one or two in particular were borderline corrupt. The one where he signalled last tackle for Huddersfield and waved away calls for a high tackle, to then change his mind when the player stayed down, was disgusting.

All in all it was a night to forget and a horrible game to watch. But anyone thinking we have regressed into our 2016 vintage overnight is well mistaken. Don’t panic!

This probably sums it up for me as well.

It’s pretty obvious though that the coach doesn’t fancy Costello. It looks like we’ll probably end up trying Welsby there or reverting back to Bentley once he’s fit again until the return of Percy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    This probably sums it up for me as well.

It’s pretty obvious though that the coach doesn’t fancy Costello. It looks like we’ll probably end up trying Welsby there or reverting back to Bentley once he’s fit again until the return of Percy.
    To be fair, at least Bentley has played centre and was doing a good job against Toronto but it must be galling for Josh Simm to be there abouts and not really get a look in. I know as a fan it's starting to wind me up a bit.

Noooobie

Tez the Saint. I am certainly not 'Josh' or even a 'family member' but I agree wholeheartedly with Shady. Simm kicking his heels whilst we play like this. Shocking. If these team choices continue then we can wave goodbye to winning this season. I think I'll stick to just watching the reserves at Ruskin, more heart, more passion. Every player playing for their place. No automatic selection.

I think we were poor first half. Cunningham style attack at times. Second half we threw much more at them and used the ball more at least but they deserved a lot of credit, injury feigning and time wasting aside, for their goal line defence which was as good as I’ve seen against us at home in a long time. It was reminiscent of a play off game in their desperation to keep us out.

On the ref, every time we have him the ruck is a complete mess. Some of the decisions were bewildering - the high tackles mentioned, the obstructions given one way and not the other, the bizarre awarding of high tackles, twice, when play had seemingly been allowed to carry on and there had been no signal or movement from the touch judge. The entire Giants team being offside when we were on our last attack of the game (and for most of the game to be honest). You could go on and on. Every time he refs us the game is ruined and we end up being brought down to the level of the opposition. Everything about him shouts amateur ref.

I hadn’t seen the team before the game so was unaware Costello was on the bench. That for me is the strange bit. Knowles at centre you can perhaps make a case for on another day but not with a centre on the bench. He’s bang average but he’s in the squad for this exact scenario.

Welsby - sorry but not good enough at the moment. Needs some time back in the reserves to build his confidence back up though I fear his lack of pace will always be against him. I can only see a future at loose forward for him. Decent hands and a big lad for his age.

Kicks to touch - agree with the earlier poster - pathetic. Penalties are of minimal advantage when they are only gaining 10m.

Lastly. Squad announcements. Please can we get back to naming players who we know are fit, which hopefully we should 2 days before a game. BS announcements like Percival in the WCC and Coote last night make us look like a team trying to play mind games- we are the best team in the league and don’t need to lower ourselves to this nonsense. If players are fit then stop tip toeing around and get them in.

Banned

Default 21 man squad v Huddersfield

Not sure how people expect our attack to be fluid when we’re changing the back line every week through forced changes. And it’s become clear that the people filling in are not as good as the people their replacing which evens the playing field with the opposition.

The Knowles at centre decision was bizarre and obviously didn’t work. Our biggest problem so far has been our decision making out the back and things breaking down when it gets to Welsby.

I said it on another thread, when Coote is back I expect us to be more fluent.

If we’re still as pedestrian in attack once everyone is back and the weather dries up, I’ll be concerned but until then we need to ride it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

To coin a cricketing phrase, ‘it looks like the ref had a good winter’.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosslyn View Post
    Tez the Saint. I am certainly not 'Josh' or even a 'family member' but I agree wholeheartedly with Shady. Simm kicking his heels whilst we play like this. Shocking. If these team choices continue then we can wave goodbye to winning this season. I think I'll stick to just watching the reserves at Ruskin, more heart, more passion. Every player playing for their place. No automatic selection.
    Well given that all 7 of your posts on here are about Simm, I’d be a bit concerned if you aren’t another family member to be honest.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Not sure how people expect our attack to be fluid when we’re changing the back line every week through forced changes. And it’s become clear that the people filling in are not as good as the people their replacing which evens the playing field with the opposition.

The Knowles at centre decision was bizarre and obviously didn’t work. Our biggest problem so far has been our decision making out the back and things breaking down when it gets to Welsby.

I said it on another thread, when Coote is back I expect us to be more fluent.

If we’re still as pedestrian in attack once everyone is back and the weather dries up, I’ll be concerned but until then we need to ride it out

Some good points here but if your 6 and 7 play badly then you will lose and that's what happened in a nutshell , everyone was slagging off the ref at the game but to be honest the touch judge on our side missed everything then let himself get bullied into a penalty

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    You’ve got to be either Josh himself or a family member. I get your point but I’ve never known anyone to be so invested in one of our younger players.
    Hahaha just someone who watches a lot of games at different levels at Saints with his eyes open!
    To answer your question it seems Stiddy is either chair person of the Welsby Fan Club or “a relative”.

Observations I have made recently in posts which I stand by are as follows:
    Walmsley was the best forward on the pitch by a mile against the Roosters......tick

Knowles had a great game against the Roosters especially coming straight in after injury......tick

Welsby is currently over hyped but has undoubtedly got talent and will be a very good player in the future, needs stepping down for a while......tick

Costello isn’t SL level and is Championship level at best......tick

Picking Knowles at centre was lazy coaching and not developing anyone......tick

Simm is a fast strike centre, scores buckets full of try’s and can defend strongly......tick

What’s the problem? Lots of other posters have the same/similar opinions.
    I suggest you don’t go on Saints Facebook or Twitter after last nights game, there are very strong opinions on there!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Far too much one man rugby tonight with predictable lateral plays once again, we've lost a lot of attacking shapes OK we haven't got Percival and Coote but I'm not seeing any decent attacking structure anymore, its as though we are concentrating too much on defence on just waiting for Coote to come back.

Don't know why Knowles was put at centre if Costello was available, just because it worked for a couple of games with Bentley doesn't mean Knowles could do a similar job. Bringing Costello off the bench late in the game just seemed a bit odd.

At kick off when I saw the ref I thought that looks like Hewer and he is going to allow a lot of inconsistent off side and messing about at the play the ball, it was similar to head shots as well. I don't know what happened with Hewer and the Giants no 9 he seemed to be invisible to the referee and was tackling our first receiver from 5 metres.

Another thing that crossed my mind was the hangover from the World Cup Challenge, normally its the week after the game but we played Toronto and we really should have put 50+ points on them, the game last night had a bit of a hangover feel about it because our performance was well below par but we must give the Giants some credit on their scrambled defence with 20 mins to go it looked as though they were going to buckle but our executions left them off the hook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Hahaha just someone who watches a lot of games at different levels at Saints with his eyes open!
    To answer your question it seems Stiddy is either chair person of the Welsby Fan Club or “a relative”.

Walmsley was the best forward on the pitch by a mile against the Roosters......tick

Knowles had a great game against the Roosters especially coming straight in after injury......tick

Welsby is currently over hyped but has undoubtedly got talent and will be a very good player in the future, needs stepping down for a while......tick

Simm is a fast strike centre, scores buckets full of try’s and can defend strongly......tick

I suggest you don’t go on Saints Facebook or Twitter after last nights game, there are very strong opinions on there!
    Don’t post often at all but this would cover my thoughts entirely. If feels as though KW has made his mind up very early & is loathe to be seen to change. It’s not working currently for a variety of reasons, if things don’t change with Coote back then it’ll be a long old season for sure. He should be selecting players in their own positions, Welsby is a potential loose forward & nothing else. The young lads like JS are in the squad for when senior players are out yet he seems content to make what others state are bazaar positional choices. If it doesn’t change soon it’s clear that KW could be said to be out of his skills set & out of his depth certainly in the English game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post

Great post btw.

Don't let anyone on here knock you for having an opinion.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    To coin a cricketing phrase, ‘it looks like the ref had a good winter’.
    he looks like that all year round-fat little turd