Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wayne's first England squad

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Looks pretty good to me, in a 'squad' of 33 you'll always have the odd strange one you don't agree with..

Looking at it however and including some early season form

Tomkins, Makinson, Gildart, Percival, Johnstone, Lomax, Gale, Graham, Clark, Thompson, Whitehead, Bateman, Hughes is probably how I'd look to go.. obviously very early doors..

Interesting if true about Knowles, we're very strong in the front row, two very good back rowers in Bateman and Whitehead, then you're probably struggling for an out and out loose forward.

That backline would certainly be a lot more entertaining than the garbage Bennett churned out
    I'd play Bateman #13 with Farrell in the 2nd row. Also have big doubt about Johstone, great finisher but really poor defensively, take note next time you watch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Would have had Hastings in there, regardless of his birthplace.
    It is a worry as only out and out 7 in there is Gale & you need cover

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It is a worry as only out and out 7 in there is Gale & you need cover
    Lomax #6 Williams #7?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I'd play Bateman #13 with Farrell in the 2nd row. Also have big doubt about Johstone, great finisher but really poor defensively, take note next time you watch him.
    Disagree with you Rogues on Johnstone, he can make a few bad reads close to his own line but once a winger makes a decision to come in its "damned if you do...., he takes a high ball superbly in attack and defence, has bags of pace and is acrobatic when there is little space to work with. Contrast that to Manfredi who prior to his injuries was one of if not the best ball returners from a kick, but who now turns around slower than the QE2, in the Hull game with the angle and giving chase he could not get to Swifty.
    Johnstone and Makinson are the two wingers for me. Sam Tomkins looks back to or close to his best, his zip seems to be back from the games and highlights I have seen of him.

Banned

Would anyone but a one eyed bigot play Bateman and Farrell in a starting 13? It would be a recipe for disaster; it’s happened before and it would do again. Perhaps we should dig Billy McGinty out of retirement and complete a featherweight backrow.
    It will be interesting to see how Farrell goes against Saints. He is a consistent B grade performer who is found short in big games because he has’nt the attributes to trouble quality sides often enough.

Banned

Lomax #6 Williams #7?
    Far too similar for me and neither has a long kicking game. I'm well aware you're trying to get a rise, just give it a rest Brian, it's really boring.

Banned

Lomax #6 Williams #7?
    No Williams is shit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Disagree with you Rogues on Johnstone, he can make a few bad reads close to his own line but once a winger makes a decision to come in its "damned if you do...., he takes a high ball superbly in attack and defence, has bags of pace and is acrobatic when there is little space to work with. Contrast that to Manfredi who prior to his injuries was one of if not the best ball returners from a kick, but who now turns around slower than the QE2, in the Hull game with the angle and giving chase he could not get to Swifty.
    Johnstone and Makinson are the two wingers for me. Sam Tomkins looks back to or close to his best, his zip seems to be back from the games and highlights I have seen of him.
    I seen the SLS show before and Tompkins looked very good. I've no problem with him playing as long as he doesn't do the usual Wigan diapering act.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Far too similar for me and neither has a long kicking game. I'm well aware you're trying to get a rise, just give it a rest Brian, it's really boring.
    Indeed Dave. Would be better disappearing to fill a spreadsheet in. Perhaps lost gameday revenues when a wedding is on?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Looks pretty good to me, in a 'squad' of 33 you'll always have the odd strange one you don't agree with..

Looking at it however and including some early season form

Tomkins, Makinson, Gildart, Percival, Johnstone, Lomax, Gale, Graham, Clark, Thompson, Whitehead, Bateman, Hughes is probably how I'd look to go.. obviously very early doors..

Interesting if true about Knowles, we're very strong in the front row, two very good back rowers in Bateman and Whitehead, then you're probably struggling for an out and out loose forward.

That backline would certainly be a lot more entertaining than the garbage Bennett churned out
    Graham is past it and we should be looking well beyond.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Would anyone but a one eyed bigot play Bateman and Farrell in a starting 13? It would be a recipe for disaster; it’s happened before and it would do again. Perhaps we should dig Billy McGinty out of retirement and complete a featherweight backrow.
    It will be interesting to see how Farrell goes against Saints. He is a consistent B grade performer who is found short in big games because he has’nt the attributes to trouble quality sides often enough.
    No

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

To be fair, in the past he has had some success against us running wide on the left. Though I doubt he will do it against a pack that should be dominating theirs.

Learning All The Songs

If we are picking SL second rowers on talent, proven abilties and physical atributes then McMeeken and Currie would be in, but them two have for one reason or another dropped off alarmingly. If as many were asking for previously, pick on merit due to form, its Farrell, Philbin, Jones and Holmes that are the best English back rowers at the moment.
    I put Holmes in as some mention Farrell`s tackling, Holmes does not miss any head on tackles because nobody runs straight at him, if they do they usually play the ball slowly and spend the next few minutes with their hands on their shorts trying to get air into a displaced ribcage.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Anyone picking Farrell on the international stage has no idea.
    He has been exposed every time he has played for England and been embarrassed, totally different game international rugby, he doesn’t have the power/intensity.

Learning All The Songs

As I said earlier Farrell should be nowhere near the side but I have a sneaky feeling Wane will include him in the 17. The only way to compensate for the lack of size with Bateman/Whitehead/Farrell would be to play Thompson at 13 IMO.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Regarding the discussions over the centres and that Percival and Gildart are the obvious pairing, let's not forget about Kallum Watkins, especially now as he's got a decent coach.....
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

To be fair you’d have to say Farrell is the form backrower in the comp. He’s had a great start to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some players can't transition to higher levels. Mick Nanyn was a record points scorer at Championship level. However we wasn't even an average Superleague player. Some players just don't seem to be able to take the step up to the next level. Farrell is one of these players in many people's eyes.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

I think you can only ask who didn't make it and was there exclusion justified.

Widdop is fair enough. He has been struggling for form for a long time now since his shoulder injury.

I am surprised Jackson Hasting has not been debated more. The current MOS not being included a big call given heritage players have not been ruled out.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Warrington's star signing Widdop not included
    Widdop one of the most overrated ever to play the game .
    How he played in NRL for so long amazes me .

Graham is past it and we should be looking well beyond.
    An unpopular opinion.

But nonetheless correct

Lomax #6 Williams #7?
    Going to look like I'm wigan bashing but I wouldn't even put him in as a running 6. I do not rate him & will be very surprised if he makes the cut at Canberra.

He does have a good offload, which is odd for a stand off & he's quick but nowhere near what is required at international level.

Lomax is your running threat from 6. Has to be Hastings or Gale calling the shots inside

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    To be fair you’d have to say Farrell is the form backrower in the comp. He’s had a great start to the season.

He is incapable of stepping it up though. Running wide when against them, you're going have to muscle up in the middle of the park. Farrell is simply not up to it.

I remember one physical confrontation he had against Justin Poore. The lights were out quicker than a power cut down Blackpool front

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Never understand why people don’t rate Farrell - class player

He USED to be a class player but passed it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Going to look like I'm wigan bashing but I wouldn't even put him in as a running 6. I do not rate him & will be very surprised if he makes the cut at Canberra.

He does have a good offload, which is odd for a stand off & he's quick but nowhere near what is required at international level.

Lomax is your running threat from 6. Has to be Hastings or Gale calling the shots inside
    I think Lomax would be better with Gale, I can't put my finger on it exactly because Fages is probably more like Hastings. That said, halves tend to split anyway these days so possibly Hastings will get the nod later in the year.

As far as Widdop goes, he should be nowhere near the squad.