Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Smith suspended for one match after Saturday for the tackle that caused neck injury to a Toronto player, I reckon that's down to the wrestling and grappling tactics that have become apparent this year, let's hope that our coach decides to bin them now
    Nothing to do with wrestling and we’ve had several players penalised/banned for similar tackles well before anyone here had heard of Kristian Woolfe - Amor, Wilkin and Roby spring to mind. I thought at the time that it could be deemed a crusher tackle but hoped that the MRP would share Carney’s view that it was completely accidental and not deserving of any disciplinary action.

What I find annoying is the inconsistency between officials in that Smith gets a ban even though the referee did not even award a penalty and the video ref did not deem the incident worthy of suggesting a yellow card to the referee. On the other hand, Thompson’s shoulder into Lees was considered to be worthy of a red card having been reviewed and yet the MRP decide no ban is warranted.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Nothing to do with wrestling and we’ve had several players penalised/banned for similar tackles well before anyone here had heard of Kristian Woolfe - Amor, Wilkin and Roby spring to mind. I thought at the time that it could be deemed a crusher tackle but hoped that the MRP would share Carney’s view that it was completely accidental and not deserving of any disciplinary action.

What I find annoying is the inconsistency between officials in that Smith gets a ban even though the referee did not even award a penalty and the video ref did not deem the incident worthy of suggesting a yellow card to the referee. On the other hand, Thompson’s shoulder into Lees was considered to be worthy of a red card having been reviewed and yet the MRP decide no ban is warranted.
    The RFL at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post

Spot on.

It is becoming tedious now. I don't understand how the disciplinary come to the decisions that they do

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The RFL at it's best.
    You got it

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Spot on.

It is becoming tedious now. I don't understand how the disciplinary come to the decisions that they do
    What do you expect with Paul Cullen in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy79 View Post
    And Toronto have no squad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    And Toronto have no squad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I don't want to wish injury on anyone but I hope they can't get 17 men together at some point in the season and get fined.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy79 View Post
    You're right.

Silly me

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I actually seen him last night and he seems well thought of. I didn't speak to him as I didn't want to bother him.

It's far too early to judge him and he's still not had a full squad to pick from but early signs are fairly encouraging and as people have said once the pitches dry I think we'll open up a bit. For me his first big test was the WCC and there's no complaints from that, next is Good Friday against what seems to a team coming into form, I just hope he gets what it means like Holbrook did.
    Good post Dave , not one swear word , well done mate .

Quote Originally Posted by ianl View Post
    I think he may be guilty of the same mistake holbrook made in his first year ie playing the strongest team when it is not required. By that i mean there have been games (salford) the game was won but in the final minutes he still had alex and thommo running in like their lives depended on it. We then had a scare when alex went off holding his neck/shoulder. Against warrington the game was lost but we still had thommo running in as hard as ever. I know its his first season and he wants to impress but i think he could manage the squad a bit better.
    When has he had the opportunity to play the strongest side.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    When has he had the opportunity to play the strongest side.
    Exactly. And why on earth would he be resting players in the first game of the season? Al and Thommo only played 40 mins. Some people are just crackers.

Learning All The Songs

Mate told me yesterday that Saints are currently tackling successfully at 92% this season, only 7 NRL teams had higher defensive stats last season. Off-loads, we are 3rd from bottom, but under Holbrook we were only mid-table in those stats, so nothing to worry about for me.

Get Coote back and get the ground firm and we will become a better team in attack. Coote is a massive part of our team, and his absence cannot be underestimated.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Mate told me yesterday that Saints are currently tackling successfully at 92% this season, only 7 NRL teams had higher defensive stats last season. Off-loads, we are 3rd from bottom, but under Holbrook we were only mid-table in those stats, so nothing to worry about for me.

Get Coote back and get the ground firm and we will become a better team in attack. Coote is a massive part of our team, and his absence cannot be underestimated.
    Just looked at those stats, our nearest challengers are Catalans and the Giants on 91%. Strangely the same 3 clubs have the lowest offload state and the lowest error rate, the Giants in our game this week have the lowest offload rate in the league.

Naturally with Roby and Knowles being missing for a couple a games and Percival with Coote still missing our attack is a bit lateral, Coote will make a massive difference to link up with Fages and Lomax in those set plays.

I should imagine Woolf will want to improve our completion rate so that we are not defending too much.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Exactly. And why on earth would he be resting players in the first game of the season? Al and Thommo only played 40 mins. Some people are just crackers.
    maybe because they had been on the great britain tour while other players season had finished.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Good post Dave , not one swear word , well done mate .

Whilst it’s an interesting topic I’m not sure we can fairly make any assumptions about how good or not KW is. It’s far too early. It’s only fair to allow him time. So far he has had to deal with a new club, injuries, bad weather and the WCC.
    But there are observations to be made without making judgements about him as a coach. I’m not sure if stats back it up but it appears we give a lot of penalties away whilst slowing the play the ball. We know he is that type of coach but I feel he needs to adjust that a bit.
    We appear to score most tries under or around the sticks ( Toronto a prime example). We see less wing play, but I’m happy to concede it’s due to the weather and a makeshift centre and not having Coote.
    Our defence is solid but I think our attacking options at times get a bit lost. But again that might be due to Coote missing etc. Overall I have no worries. But he needs a full season minimum to be judged. Also I do think other teams will be better this season than what Justin had to deal with so we need to cut him some slack if we think it’s going to be like last year.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

I don't know how anyone can have any negative thoughts at the moment really. I agree a slight concern was the wrestling but that seems to have stopped. The Wire display was down to the host of injuries including in the warm up and in game. No Coote since round 1, Percival injured, Makinson missing 2 games....our attack isn't going to be good until that's sorted yet we've still scored plenty points and given the Roosters a great game in which we created chances.

Seen a post in the Toronto thread about offloads, thought he played the conditions to perfection on Saturday first half and got the job done, can't be offloading in weather like that.

I am looking forward to the next 2 months though. Some tough games and a true reflection of where we are at but don't think he's done anything wrong yet.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post

Nail on head = good post .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just looked at those stats, our nearest challengers are Catalans and the Giants on 91%. Strangely the same 3 clubs have the lowest offload state and the lowest error rate, the Giants in our game this week have the lowest offload rate in the league.

Naturally with Roby and Knowles being missing for a couple a games and Percival with Coote still missing our attack is a bit lateral, Coote will make a massive difference to link up with Fages and Lomax in those set plays.

I should imagine Woolf will want to improve our completion rate so that we are not defending too much.
    I nearly had a heart attack reading that.

In The South Stand

It's hard to judge, but I'm bordering on not liking his style? There's clearly something missing, we've not played any decent rugby at all. Competitive against the Roosters in what was probably our best performance this year and a decent second half against Hull. The strength of our players and particularly the forwards will win us a lot of games that a similar performance by a Wigan/Hull/Wire type side would see them lose. But there has been nothing like a cohesive attacking performance so far and the Warrington game was arguably our worst performance in many a season, despite the players out.

I think Coote being out may be causing a lot of the issues. Welsby has potential, but he's not ready for consistent first team action at this stage. It's rusty with him in the line and he's trying too hard to make an impact when he needs to relax and let his natural talent take over, too much forcing passes and making poor choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    First off I that was ' thank you' .....

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's hard to judge, but I'm bordering on not liking his style? There's clearly something missing, we've not played any decent rugby at all. Competitive against the Roosters in what was probably our best performance this year and a decent second half against Hull. The strength of our players and particularly the forwards will win us a lot of games that a similar performance by a Wigan/Hull/Wire type side would see them lose. But there has been nothing like a cohesive attacking performance so far and the Warrington game was arguably our worst performance in many a season, despite the players out.

I think Coote being out may be causing a lot of the issues. Welsby has potential, but he's not ready for consistent first team action at this stage. It's rusty with him in the line and he's trying too hard to make an impact when he needs to relax and let his natural talent take over, too much forcing passes and making poor choices.
    We lost away at London last year playing a far stronger team than Woolf had available at Wire.

Nothing to worry about at all so far - positive despite lots of disruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    First off I that was ' thank you' .....
    It was and I mis-spelt thank, sorry for any confussuion.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 4th March 2020 at 10:39. Reason: Coronavirus again

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I actually sent a few texts out at half time in the Salford game, saying that I was very concerned that we were going to go back to a more Cunningham style approach than a Holbrook one.

I've seen others ridiculed by informed people for that opinion and have deliberately stayed clear, but this has to set alarm bells ringing with everyone.

We have certainly missed the organisational skills of Lachlan Coote, as for all how good they can be, Lomax and Fages lack that bit of something to prize open a defence on their line, both via guile and thought, so I'm prepared to reserve judgement till his return, and there's no doubt we are missing Percy too - and maybe all those that slagged him off throughout the last two years will finally see what he brings to the party, in his absence.

It may be worth noting that Tommy and Regan scored over twenty tries each last season. This year they haven't scored one between them. Is that purely down to Coote's absence, or is it that we've started religiously playing that ineffective inside pass again.

I suspect the next five weeks will tell us a hell of a lot.

My biggest concern is not the result, but the very real fear that the entertaining rugby that has been served up over the last two and a half years is no more.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

That tonight was Cunningham football.