Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Default Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

What or was your past, present and future opinion of Kristian Woof does he come over OK with the fans and the players. Have we seen significant changes to our approach and style, he has to contend with injuries and hence think more about selections for certain places.

Are we going to see something similar to when Daniel Anderson took over from Ian Millward, I believe Woolf is a bit of a bruiser and likes his boxing and wrestling are we going to see a more brutal defence once the season is well under way.

Learning All The Songs

I sense he is focussing on defence and we won't see some of the flair play we witnessed under JH.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    What or was your past, present and future opinion of Kristian Woof does he come over OK with the fans and the players. Have we seen significant changes to our approach and style, he has to contend with injuries and hence think more about selections for certain places.

Are we going to see something similar to when Daniel Anderson took over from Ian Millward, I believe Woolf is a bit of a bruiser and likes his boxing and wrestling are we going to see a more brutal defence once the season is well under way.
    Didn't know of him in the past. I think he has had a lot to contend with through the injury list. We certainly look light for 3/4 cover. I don't like the holding down and giving away penalties. I would hope for some better attacking shapes once everyone is up to speed. He certainly got the players up for the WCC, unless that was the players themselves.
    Overall I'm pretty impressed, if we continue to give away penalties I think it is something he will address. He is at a new club in a new competition, and may take a bit to adapt to how it's played and reffed here. But I am optimistic about him going forward. I think he is a bit reserved but OK in Press interviews, he doesn't come across as a know it all nor a whinger,
    I was sorry to lose Holbrook, but we seem at this time to have done OK with his replacement.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Given the injuries we’ve had and the enforced changes, plus the “distraction” of the WCC, I think it’s almost impossible and probably unfair to judge him at all.

I agree with the comments about lying on and messing about at the play the ball but I didn't notice that as much over the last two weeks.

But apart from that it’s far too early to judge him. He’s been without his captain, his fullback, his main strike centre plus Walmsley and Knowles at different times. We’ve had backrowers at centre, centres on the wing and it’s been very disjointed so far. Yet we’ve won 3 from 4 in the league and given a good account of ourselves against Sydney.

There’s absolutely nothing to be concerned about at this stage.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It's early but I like what I see so far, he seems to know what he's talking about and appears to be someone you want on your side in adversity

The playing conditions are terrible at present so I'd be more concerned if we were throwing it around everywhere

Got A Replica Shirt

I think he may be guilty of the same mistake holbrook made in his first year ie playing the strongest team when it is not required. By that i mean there have been games (salford) the game was won but in the final minutes he still had alex and thommo running in like their lives depended on it. We then had a scare when alex went off holding his neck/shoulder. Against warrington the game was lost but we still had thommo running in as hard as ever. I know its his first season and he wants to impress but i think he could manage the squad a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by ianl View Post
    I think he may be guilty of the same mistake holbrook made in his first year ie playing the strongest team when it is not required. By that i mean there have been games (salford) the game was won but in the final minutes he still had alex and thommo running in like their lives depended on it. We then had a scare when alex went off holding his neck/shoulder. Against warrington the game was lost but we still had thommo running in as hard as ever. I know its his first season and he wants to impress but i think he could manage the squad a bit better.
    Yet he didn’t bring Walmesley back on on Saturday and Tommo only for the last 10. Were ok for forward cover with Ashworth and Amor waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by ianl View Post
    Most probably some of that has to do with getting a good start at the first quarter of the season, most coaches have mentioned that under the current top 5 system. A lot of our injuries have come from being on the wrong end of making an aggressive defence in the way of Walmsley, Percival, Lees, Grace and Makinson.
    We seem to be doing a lot more wrestling close contact work involving stressing the upper body that will probably take time to reap the benefits.

For me he's not had the time and circumstance on and off the field to relax, the atrocious February weather must be depressing for his family, the injuries has not given him the chance to be more selective, talking to the social media pre, present, post game is another thing that he might be not accustomed to on a daily basis.

Learning All The Songs

I'd rather be in Woolf's shoes than the chinless wonder at Wire, & Radford must be looking over his shoulder at Hull also.

But back to Woolf, he needs to get all his main troops back to see us play with a bit of flair?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I am embarrassed even thinking about judging someone after 5 games but having spoken to him he seems intent on continuing our success and he has a clear idea of how to do it. Probably best judged in October?
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Too early to make a decent assessment. After a full season we'll have a better view. I actually think the bigger challenges lie further ahead over the next couple of years - with recruitment and squad development becoming an important focus.

So far, so good... Like some other posters have mentioned - I'd like to see a little more creativity and flair, let the players express themselves in attack - but with the weather conditions, players missing and early stages of the season - this was never going to be easy to show. I'm also not keen on holding/wrestling in defence - but tight defence will become important at the business end of the season. I actually thought last season our defence overall was good... If there's anywhere to improve it's in attack for me. I wonder if Longy moving on will have an impact on that?

In The South Stand

Pleased so far. Masses of disruption but some very creditable performances and good wins.

Will be interesting to see how we go when we get Coote back as he’s so important to how we attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I actually seen him last night and he seems well thought of. I didn't speak to him as I didn't want to bother him.

It's far too early to judge him and he's still not had a full squad to pick from but early signs are fairly encouraging and as people have said once the pitches dry I think we'll open up a bit. For me his first big test was the WCC and there's no complaints from that, next is Good Friday against what seems to a team coming into form, I just hope he gets what it means like Holbrook did.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I actually seen him last night and he seems well thought of. I didn't speak to him as I didn't want to bother him.

It's far too early to judge him and he's still not had a full squad to pick from but early signs are fairly encouraging and as people have said once the pitches dry I think we'll open up a bit. For me his first big test was the WCC and there's no complaints from that, next is Good Friday against what seems to a team coming into form, I just hope he gets what it means like Holbrook did.
    This. It's not like we played that expensively at this time of year under Holbrook, far too early for people to be worrying g about that

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I am embarrassed even thinking about judging someone after 5 games but having spoken to him he seems intent on continuing our success and he has a clear idea of how to do it. Probably best judged in October?
    Have to agree scouse Don I am embarrassed that we are taking about this. We are miles ahead of most teams and I have seen nothing that's going to change that. Wolfe has brought more focus on our defence which we can already see we are reaping the benefit. And as for attack nothings changed just wait till the ground gets harder and the sun comes out. Come on guys lets get real

Learning All The Songs

I would not swap our defensive capabilities for any other team. Very fit and well drilled. It is obvious we are light on Back cover so he has had to overcome losing two key players early doors and throwing young players in at the deep end. It will be interesting when we get the drier pitches. So the verdict is well pleased and confident of a top two finish. Our main rival at this stage appears to be Wigan.

Banned

I think the OP was just asking people's opinion of him, not looking to slate him or anything.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

A bit too early to form any reasonable judgment, but so far so good for me especially defensively (best defence in the league).

He's had disruption with injuries to contend with, a tough start fixture wise and we've played in some god awful weather conditions so far. Given all of that to be 3 from 4, you've got to be satisfied.

I'm excited to see how we'll do when we have a full strength team and the tracks are dry, but our recent wins have been impressive. We really dug in and dominated against Toronto in very cold and wet conditions and we stuck to the task against Hull and showed real patience to grind them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

The teams we've beat are hardly doing well so it's hard to tell.

Very difficult to have a view given the strange start we have had . A mix mash of injuries, players in different positions , bad conditions, the WCC, and That fixture against Toronto makes me feel our season hasn't really started. It all feels like its been a bit of a grind. Based on what i seen in The WCC. If thats our potential, give is the SL trophy now. Im confident he is on the right track

Smith suspended for one match after Saturday for the tackle that caused neck injury to a Toronto player, I reckon that's down to the wrestling and grappling tactics that have become apparent this year, let's hope that our coach decides to bin them now

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think the OP was just asking people's opinion of him, not looking to slate him or anything.
    Thats correct, it was more of a generalisation on how he's settling in as our coach rather than any form of critique. Every coach has a different perspective on direction and he must feel a bit of apprehension on how things are panning out but after 5 games I would imagine he doesn't feel as much pressure as some other coaches at the moment.

I did think he handled the game with the Roosters fairly well and got his priority of defence more or less blob on.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Smith suspended for one match after Saturday for the tackle that caused neck injury to a Toronto player, I reckon that's down to the wrestling and grappling tactics that have become apparent this year, let's hope that our coach decides to bin them now
    Blaming the coach for a player getting a one match ban is an interesting take.

Banned

Thats correct, it was more of a generalisation on how he's settling in as our coach rather than any form of critique. Every coach has a different perspective on direction and he must feel a bit of apprehension on how things are panning out but after 5 games I would imagine he doesn't feel as much pressure as some other coaches at the moment.

I did think he handled the game with the Roosters fairly well and got his priority of defence more or less blob on.
    Yeah, me too. I have to say, I've had a couple of slight worries on his tactics but as has been mentioned, it's been a disrupted start to the season and the weather has been foul. I don't blame him whatsoever for either loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I don’t think so - it was just one of those tackles that ended awkwardly. They can and do happen anytime.