Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

Learning All The Songs

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Agree it’s been nothing like last season, our wingers having zero tries and barely touching the ball near the opposition line backs that up. The only question is whether that’s down to Welsby being at full back instead of Coote or because Woolf is a defence minded coach. Early days of course but the dip from last season is greater than it should be and I am a bit concerned. 4 tryless halves in 6 competitive games is pretty poor as well. That said, I think Woolf deserves the next 5 league games (with Coote in the team) before making any real judgements on him. Tough run we have as well, Cas and Leeds away before KR and Wigan at home then Catalan away. I think Woolf needs at least 4 wins out of those.
    Naqaima was on the wing and scored so the ball is getting out there,it got to Tommy a couple of times v the Roosters. The problem we have had was slow ball from dummy half when Bentley was there and a very inexperienced player at fullback. Couple this with it being the start of the season,a few injuries and some awful conditions and it's no surprise that we are a bit clunky right now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Naqaima was on the wing and scored so the ball is getting out there,it got to Tommy a couple of times v the Roosters. The problem we have had was slow ball from dummy half when Bentley was there and a very inexperienced player at fullback. Couple this with it being the start of the season,a few injuries and some awful conditions and it's no surprise that we are a bit clunky right now.
    I take it your glass is 3/4 full.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I take it your glass is 3/4 full.
    I just see lots of room for improvement and our style of play improving as we get players back and the conditions improve.We have a really good team and it will click again.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I just see lots of room for improvement and our style of play improving as we get players back and the conditions improve.We have a really good team and it will click again.
    I'm sure we have a decent team, I just hope you are right that our style improves and we do get a bit more fluid.

He will need time, as will a fully fit squad. A lot of us knew that Holbrook was a breath of fresh air, but could never of imagined our record under him. I wish The Woolf well, and hope he can soon get us back to the JH consistency. He has time, he shouldn't waste it.

COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Given the injuries we’ve had and the enforced changes, plus the “distraction” of the WCC, I think it’s almost impossible and probably unfair to judge him at all.

I agree with the comments about lying on and messing about at the play the ball but I didn't notice that as much over the last two weeks.

But apart from that it’s far too early to judge him. He’s been without his captain, his fullback, his main strike centre plus Walmsley and Knowles at different times. We’ve had backrowers at centre, centres on the wing and it’s been very disjointed so far. Yet we’ve won 3 from 4 in the league and given a good account of ourselves against Sydney.

There’s absolutely nothing to be concerned about at this stage.
    Told you
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Told you
    I intend to watch the games when Wolfe first became our manager
    But no doubt we have been devastating since restart .
    Our fitness & defending especially so .

Learning All The Songs

I had big doubts over Woolfy in the manner he had us playing quite boring actually. We've come back from the Covid break a different team energised and look like we could beat anyone again. Fair play to him, i actually seen him smile when Big Alex broke through and set Theo up for his try, awesome.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Really looking forward to Woolf turning his attention to attack.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I had big doubts over Woolfy in the manner he had us playing quite boring actually. We've come back from the Covid break a different team energised and look like we could beat anyone again. Fair play to him, i actually seen him smile when Big Alex broke through and set Theo up for his try, awesome.

He certainly has changed things around and avoided creeping into that rut pre lockdown, the team and coaching staff have been remarkable on how they have took stock of the new ruling and returned to what Saints does best attacking with support and smart plays.

Its very unlikely we will return to that 5 drives and a kick with individual runs, the team look very comfortable and confident on the way they want to play, great stuff for Woolf he looks a happy man and it seems Woolf has seen the light with that beaming smile on his face, the future now looks brighter for him.

The other thing I have noticed the players are pulling up the last tackler by the shirt to speed up the completed tackle and avoiding the "6 again" rule, we seem to be doing that more than any other team in the comp.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 10th August 2020 at 09:41.

Got A Season Ticket

Have to say I was quite worried before the lockdown, we had become conservative and a blunt instrument in attack which had an air of the Cunningham years about it. Seems like the break has actually done us the world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    In complete agreement.

I’m relishing playing Wire and Wigan now, they were both scrappy (regardless of margin for Warrington over KR)

We look even better than 2018/2019 vintage with the 6 again and fast, mobile front row..... I thought Jammers legs were supposed to have gone??
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    In complete agreement.

I’m relishing playing Wire and Wigan now, they were both scrappy (regardless of margin for Warrington over KR)

We look even better than 2018/2019 vintage with the 6 again and fast, mobile front row..... I thought Jammers legs were supposed to have gone??

Love to have the crowd noise turned off to just listen to Jammer sledging the other players Give him another 12 mth contract.

Banned

I think we were all worried pre lockdown so hats off to Woolf for recognising the problems and adapting our game. The new rules are clearly a blessing for us.

In The South Stand

I’m not sure how much the last two performances is down to Woolf and how much is down to the changes in rules, which suit us and our squad perfectly. I imagine there a balance of both factors but what percentage each is, I’m less sure. There’s absolutely no way we could have played how we did pre-lockdown with these rules, so Woolf had to adjust and he has done and the early signs suggest he’s done it very well.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

He’s certainly looking great at the moment for attack and defence. I think his biggest test is when any (inevitable) injuries hit us- strength in depth and an ability to adapt will be key later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m not sure how much the last two performances is down to Woolf and how much is down to the changes in rules, which suit us and our squad perfectly. I imagine there a balance of both factors but what percentage each is, I’m less sure. There’s absolutely no way we could have played how we did pre-lockdown with these rules, so Woolf had to adjust and he has done and the early signs suggest he’s done it very well.
    We've certainly been looking to do a lot more offloading, which isn't something we were doing back in March.

As you say, though, the change in rules and the weather have afforded more chances to do that.

The reality is that this is still much more a forward orientated plan, but that's no bad thing from an entertainment point of view if the forwards are trying to keep the ball alive. It looks to me like they have had the benefit of the unexpected off season to sharpen up those skills.

Keeping our forwards fit is going to be key to everything. The starting six at the moment (and I include Bentley ahead of Peyroux in that) is simply head and shoulders above anything else in the competition.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I had my doubts pre lockdown. Whether Woolf has decided it wasn't working or whether the new rules have forced a change on him, I don't know but I am happy that up to now he has proved my doubts unfounded. I think we also must credit jammer, Woolf said that he gave them a good insight into what was needed under the new rules.

Banned

Perhaps at the start of the season Woolf was being too cautious. Early season, wetter/slower pitches, injuries to some key players, new methods/tactics to bed-in, the impact of the WCC... he might have made a call to have the team playing basic & risk-free rugby with a view to loosening up as the season evolved and players returned.

Whatever, we can have no complaints with how this team is now playing (although I do think we're relying somewhat on some individual sparks of brilliance, a-la Grace's superb runs)

Banned

Does anyone on here think some of the senior players may have had a word with him during the break and advised him to go back to the blueprint that had worked well for the last 2 years? I know we had players missing at the start of the season but this team is a different animal since the restart. Something has definitely changed and long may it continue.

In The South Stand

Default Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    We lost away at London last year playing a far stronger team than Woolf had available at Wire.

Nothing to worry about at all so far - positive despite lots of disruption.

My take on it from early March - always felt uncomfortable with some of the reactions to Woolf with a weakened squad at his disposal.

I don’t think our style of play has really changed much from hammering Salford first up to hammering Leeds yesterday - the personnel available has though.

We played through the middle a LOT yesterday but people are reacting as if there has been a wholesale change of approach. To me it just looks like a good coach has had a bit more time with his players (the defence has looked outrageous the last two games) and has some players back in key creative positions.

When we play Wire in the cup (and other big games this year) it will be that sort of defence that will win the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Does anyone on here think some of the senior players may have had a word with him during the break and advised him to go back to the blueprint that had worked well for the last 2 years? I know we had players missing at the start of the season but this team is a different animal since the restart. Something has definitely changed and long may it continue.
    I should imagine there would have been some sort of discussion involving all, what's been remarkable is the sudden change of smart plays in a short period of time when the players were allowed to train together. For me the lockdown has given them this valuable extra "pre start up season" and the players are energised and well conditioned to play at a tempo that most clubs are struggling with.

Default Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF after 5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I don’t think so. I posted at the time of our bad spell that I didn’t think style of play was the issue but more execution. We were just really disjointed and ineffective in attack, probably as a result of senior figures being out injured and young kids playing in vital roles.

What worried me more than anything else about us pre-lockdown was the way our pack surrendered away at Cas.

Having a near full strength squad and a bit more time with his players - plus all of our internationals getting an enforced off season - seems to have done the trick for Woolf (at least those are the early signs ... it’s only two games).

I was always confident we would turn it around.

My earlier posts may completely contradict this but if just one poster believes me, winner.