Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Huddersfield next

Learning All The Songs

Default Huddersfield next

I see they have been hammered today by the pies, ending their good start to the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Impressive result by the Goons that, it looks as though the Giants went to pieces when Sezer was dispatched to the Sin bin. The giants will want to toughen up with a response next week but I think Walmsley + Thompson will be too much for them, hopefully Coote will be back with Walmsley going to Left Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Impressive result by the Goons that, it looks as though the Giants went to pieces when Sezer was dispatched to the Sin bin. The giants will want to toughen up with a response next week but I think Walmsley + Thompson will be too much for them, hopefully Coote will be back with Walmsley going to Left Centre.
    I know he is good but Walmesley left centre????

Could be the end for Radford after their result today.

Starting A Programme Collection

I think Wigan are getting better each week. Impressive win that today. They look to be our main challengers this season although it’s still early days.

Banned

Wigan will always look to challenge. Salford have really imploded sadly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Its very hard to learn anything from results this season. Hull belted Leeds, Leeds belted Dire, Dire served us, Wigan lost at Cas, Cas got belted at Catalans, Catalans are Catalans. Huddersfield started strong but are ultimately still crap.
    As long as our players don’t turn on Woolf then we will finish top because regardless of coach i think we have a professional attitude at the club that will see us top of the league. We will lose games, but orher teams will lose more.
    This team will get to big knock out games. Hopefully Woolf brings something to the table that helps us in those big games like he has for Tonga.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I know he is good but Walmesley left centre????
    Young Jack

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Its very hard to learn anything from results this season. Hull belted Leeds, Leeds belted Dire, Dire served us, Wigan lost at Cas, Cas got belted at Catalans, Catalans are Catalans. Huddersfield started strong but are ultimately still crap.
    As long as our players don’t turn on Woolf then we will finish top because regardless of coach i think we have a professional attitude at the club that will see us top of the league. We will lose games, but orher teams will lose more.
    This team will get to big knock out games. Hopefully Woolf brings something to the table that helps us in those big games like he has for Tonga.
    Perfectly summed up.

We’re still the big favourites and once everyone is fit and the tracks dry out, we’re only going to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Perfectly summed up.

We’re still the big favourites and once everyone is fit and the tracks dry out, we’re only going to get better.

Yep thats it mate. I never took that into account but will improve as the turf firms.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Just seen the try’s on Sky and some of the Huddersfield tackling was shocking. Hope they defend like that next week.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Young Jack
    I don’t get the “love in” with Welsby. Was awful on the wing in the first game of the season, did a “few” good things in the games he played last season and while at fullback this season has done one decent cut out pass to the winger and not much else really....very over hyped no matter what age he is.....sorry but I just don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    I don’t get the “love in” with Welsby. Was awful on the wing in the first game of the season, did a “few” good things in the games he played last season and while at fullback this season has done one decent cut out pass to the winger and not much else really....very over hyped no matter what age he is.....sorry but I just don’t get it.
    Very very Harsh but some validity also in what you say.

He has real talent but does not fit a singular position at the moment.
    He hasn't the pace for winger or fb (never will).
    He hasn't the kicking/organisational game for halfback (yet).
    A run a centre to cover Percival might help his development for now.

He can only play , he isn't a big time Charlie , the hype is not down to him.
    That's down to the coaches/club.

A bit left field but I think his ultimate position might be a running 9 ala Roby/DClark.
    If Saints also developed an offloading game with second phase he could go really well there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    Just seen the try’s on Sky and some of the Huddersfield tackling was shocking. Hope they defend like that next week.
    Gobsmacking result. The piescum team is incredibly ordinary, with a pack that's just plain sh*t.

Results are all over the place so far this season, so Huddersfield could pull out a Warringtonesque 'their cup final' performance next week.

Hopefully we can get another solid win, that’s all we can ask in the current conditions. If Coote is back I’d go with Costello at centre. Welsby could do with a week off, he’s very young to be playing every week still

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Gobsmacking result. The piescum team is incredibly ordinary, with a pack that's just plain sh*t.

Results are all over the place so far this season, so Huddersfield could pull out a Warringtonesque 'their cup final' performance next week.
    I think Wigan have actually been better than people have given them credit for on here so far. As average as their pack is their back line has been good. Hastings seems to have settled in well from what I've seen, French has been excellent at full back, Marshall is a good winger - some try he scored today. Hope I'm proved wrong obviously but I think good friday could be closer than some think.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

A bit left field but I think his ultimate position might be a running 9 ala Roby/DClark.
    If Saints also developed an offloading game with second phase he could go really well there.
    I think the only positions he'll ever be able to play are fullback and stand off. But he doesn't look ideal for either to me. He's too slow to react and decide what he's doing. I'd worry about him defensively at centre and I certainly don't think he's got the speed to play hooker, either with his feet or with his hands.

I think the main thing Jack needs now is a break. He's had a few games last season and been thrown in again this season. His early promise has subsided and he's into a really challenging period. He's come up with a few errors and a few poor performances and is visibly trying to make up for it and forcing plays that aren't on. He bombed a couple of tries against Toronto through not being quick enough with the ball and trying to go on his own. Best thing for him is a few weeks in the reserves/academy to re-focus and build his confidence again. I think it's time Saints gave one of the other academy backs a go for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think the only positions he'll ever be able to play are fullback and stand off. But he doesn't look ideal for either to me. He's too slow to react and decide what he's doing. I'd worry about him defensively at centre and I certainly don't think he's got the speed to play hooker, either with his feet or with his hands.

I think the main thing Jack needs now is a break. He's had a few games last season and been thrown in again this season. His early promise has subsided and he's into a really challenging period. He's come up with a few errors and a few poor performances and is visibly trying to make up for it and forcing plays that aren't on. He bombed a couple of tries against Toronto through not being quick enough with the ball and trying to go on his own. Best thing for him is a few weeks in the reserves/academy to re-focus and build his confidence again. I think it's time Saints gave one of the other academy backs a go for a week or two.
    There is a bigger picture to the way he is being developed though, Holbrook and Woolf have seen his potential and they are willing to give him game time in various positions to build his character and resilience. He will make mistakes having only played 16 superleague games but its reaction to those mistakes which will build up a steep learning curve, we've seen his response to those mistakes. I think he had one really bad game against the London Broncos last year but a couple of games later he came up with a man of the match performance against Warrington.

I'm almost sure he has played a lot of games in the academy at stand off initially but moved to full back as he was being selected for the Academy England at that position, with that in mind I would like to think the coaching staff will look to develop him at stand off with Todd at Scrum Half in a few years time. Thats most probably one of the reasons the club have given Welsby + Todd four year deals but the problem is that you can't develop them both together in the first team its got to be when opportunities arise.

Lomax is not going to last forever and its similar to Roby, with that in mind its possible Fages could be our next captain at hooker with Todd + Welsby our half backs and that transition could be possible if Coote signs an extension to his existing contract which will enable us maintain a good spine in the team for the future.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 1st March 2020 at 22:15.

I don't think it is harsh he is only commenting on what he has seen. Welsby has show some good touches but this has been offset by his weaknesses. He is a quite big lad and I am wondering if that proved to be one of the reasons he stood out in the junior ranks. I do not think he is agile enough to play at 6 or 9 so his other options are 1,3, 4 or even in my eyes a loose forward.

In The South Stand

I think some are judging way too early with Welsby. It was always going to be tough for him to drop in at 1 with injuries in the backs (and also Roby out for a spell who is important to how organised we look).

This period will have done him a lot of good and I’m sure he’ll kick on and develop into a fine player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I think it is important to keep square pegs in square holes and although I am not his biggest fan Matty Costello needs to stay at centre and Jack Welsby at fb whilst we have our two main players out principally because it gives us consistency and allows both to consolidate their positions. Unless there are better players in their positions in the reserves they should stay in place.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

I tend to agree with most of what you say although I don't think he'll ever be a 9. I do think he needs a week or 2 off, we have other young players that need games too and Coote to return. I know I'm repeating myself here but I don't see him anywhere other than 1 or 6 and 6 more than 1.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    I think Wigan have actually been better than people have given them credit for on here so far. As average as their pack is their back line has been good. Hastings seems to have settled in well from what I've seen, French has been excellent at full back, Marshall is a good winger - some try he scored today. Hope I'm proved wrong obviously but I think good friday could be closer than some think.
    French has been a surprise, because I saw nothing from him last year that made me think he would be a quality player. Is it a case of opposition coaches not knowing enough about his play from FB to make plans to nullify him, and he'll fade as the season progresses?

Yes, Marshall his bloody nippy and a good winger. Gildart isn't bad as an attacking centre, either. And we know what Hastings is capable of (unfortunately, he seems a good guy and is giving his all despite likely leaving at the end of the year).

But Leuluai must now be pushing 40, and if Hardaker has found some form, then that is very disappointing.

Yet with that pack of theirs, I don't know how they're challenging. It really is crap.

I guess the 'wi*an syle of play' is a strong thread running through the club, though, and although it's fairly 'paint by numbers', it's been effective for a long time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I tend to agree with most of what you say although I don't think he'll ever be a 9. I do think he needs a week or 2 off, we have other young players that need games too and Coote to return. I know I'm repeating myself here but I don't see him anywhere other than 1 or 6 and 6 more than 1.
    I think a month or two on duel reg / loan at Leigh would do him good once everyone is back and fit, rather than a few weeks off. Playing at a good level against decent opposition should help improve his decision making and other aspects of his game where he's been lacking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I think a month or two on duel reg / loan at Leigh would do him good once everyone is back and fit, rather than a few weeks off. Playing at a good level against decent opposition should help improve his decision making and other aspects of his game where he's been lacking.
    Sorry, I didn't actually mean not play at all, just not first team. I was thinking more like the reserves but Leigh might be a better idea, it's helped players in the past.