Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus and the season ahead

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Default Corona virus and the season ahead

I'm sure it's in the back of all our minds but does anyone have any ideas what would happen if we reached a stage where games have to be cancelled or postponed?
    Could we see some sort of 'truncated' league? Extra midweek games later in the year? A Challenge Cup/ Grand Final double header?
    Has anything like this happened before (in peace time)? The nearest I can think of was the short season before we switched to summer SL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im probably ill informed and ignorant but i don’t believe all the corona bollocks. Has it killed anyone under 80 yet? The yanks have probably developed it in a laboratory and planted it to discredit the Chinese in retaliation for them rolling out 5G
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Im probably ill informed and ignorant but i don’t believe all the corona bollocks. Has it killed anyone under 80 yet? The yanks have probably developed it in a laboratory and planted it to discredit the Chinese in retaliation for them rolling out 5G
    14,000 people died of seasonal flu in the UK alone last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    14,000 people died of seasonal flu in the UK alone last year.
    How does that compare with Covid 19?

Far too early to say. Figures of 1% death rates for those who catch it seem to be quoted as an 'average'.
    The problem is that, because it's new, then no one is immune, and there's no vaccine yet...So, in theory, it could kill 1% of the UK population of 67 million.

...But it probably won't, and my question wasn't really about how bad it might be.

Learning All The Songs

Well worldwide seasonal flu deaths vary but last year it was about 300,000 (maybe more). So far about 2000 covid-19 deaths.

Banned

Its interesting Barry. Stock markets are spooked because of the potential economic downturn and not the virus. However Boris is into the infancy of his first term and Trump is in election year.

If those Governments begin to impose restrictions on public activities such as shopping or sporting events "in effect" spending it really becomes squeaky bum time I personally think a warm April will see the back end of it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I should imagine there is a risk to Toronto + Catalan games commuting by ship or aircraft is seen as the attribute to spreading the virus. For me although very contagious its hyped up to the eyeballs in the social media compared to the SARS outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I should imagine there is a risk to Toronto + Catalan games commuting by ship or aircraft is seen as the attribute to spreading the virus. For me although very contagious its hyped up to the eyeballs in the social media compared to the SARS outbreak.
    Bullseye.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Agree with you and Fishy. It's being hyped by a media desperate to sell newspapers.

Dettol are one step ahead of the yanks, then, as their multi surface cleaner will kill the virus (and has been able to for years).

In The South Stand

Yes it has, plenty of people. The problem with this virus is that it's new and the human body has no resistance to it yet and it spreads faster than previous Coronaviruses. There are also no vaccines or treatments for it either because it's new. A lot of the young people who have died have been in the medical profession, where the viral load has been excessive. Hence the need to self quarantine, not only to limit the spread, but also to limit the infected person's exposure to it. If everyone undertook basic hygiene tasks properly, washed their hands, used hand sanitisers and stayed at home when they were ill, it's spread could be limited. But you'll get those arrogant people like you Fishy that will think they're too good for it and it'll inevitably spread. If it's a new born or even an old person in your family that dies from it, you'll probably feel differently.

It's also worth putting up with the disruption and over-reaction from the media, government and so on because there is always the likelihood of a far worse outbreak. Spanish Flu in 1917 killed 10% of the people that got it, SARS did and MERS killed 37%. What happens if one day, a virus rocks up and kills 50-100% of the people it infects and spreads like this Coronavirus? I personally think the world needs to use this outbreak as disease control practice for when it's really needed.

Basically, if Ebola becomes air borne, we're all ••••ed.

Spanish Flu was so fatal due to poor living conditions and medical provisions 100 years ago, compared to today. A lot of deaths were from the infections that followed the virus, deaths which would not happen now.

Sorry folks! I wasn't expecting this to turn into some sort of apocalyptic thing. I was just wondering what impact the banning of games would have.
    If this does happen, and goes on for some time, how would the RFL deal with it? Could clubs survive the financial hit of only playing half a season? What happens to SKY money?
    You get my drift.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Sorry folks! I wasn't expecting this to turn into some sort of apocalyptic thing. I was just wondering what impact the banning of games would have.
    If this does happen, and goes on for some time, how would the RFL deal with it? Could clubs survive the financial hit of only playing half a season? What happens to SKY money?
    You get my drift.
    Sky probably lose a lot more money with the stock market downturn than any amount they hand out to rugby league.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I presume clubs will have to pay players in the event of no games being played.I am sure this will effect every SL club.The Wakefield owner said last year they needed at least 13 home SL games for the club to survive.We are not there yet I fear for some SL clubs if we do get to this point.

I guess televised games could still be played behind closed doors which would honor the contract with SKY?...And keep their money flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post

Spanish Flu was so fatal due to poor living conditions and medical provisions 100 years ago, compared to today. A lot of deaths were from the infections that followed the virus, deaths which would not happen now.
    Could you imagine if that happened? It really is a scary thought

In The South Stand

Glad there are so many doctors on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post

Yeah I saw that Morgan Freeman film too.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Latest I read was, that if the spread continues sporting events over 5k in attendance might need to be cancelled. So essentially the likes of Salford, Wakefield, Huddersfield it's just carrry on as normal.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

This is the one advantage of a playoff system. The league is already unbalanced due to magic and the repeat fixtures. So cancelling a month worth of games would not add any more distortion than already exists. In fact it could make it an even fixture season

So sporting wise I don't think there would be anything to strenuous. Finance wise is a different matter. All clubs would lose money they could have made, but some will be able to cope with that drop in income better than others.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Latest I read was, that if the spread continues sporting events over 5k in attendance might need to be cancelled. So essentially the likes of Salford, Wakefield, Huddersfield it's just carrry on as normal.
    So in Saints case that could be a 5k spread of season ticket holders only based on when you bought your season ticket. Say 1700 South Stand, 1700 North Stand and 1600 West Stand with obligatory face scarves and gloves on entry.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I guess televised games could still be played behind closed doors which would honor the contract with SKY?...And keep their money flowing!
    So just like Warrington Sat night.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Forgot about season tickets. So that will also protect some club income as well.