Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Toronto

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    He is no spring chicken and we got stuck in last week. He could just be struggling to recover.
    I’ve been very impressed with him this season and at 35 years old I’d be looking to give him a rest week here and there anyway. Be happy to see Bentley get decent minutes in the 2nd row as well.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’ve been very impressed with him this season and at 35 years old I’d be looking to give him a rest week here and there anyway. Be happy to see Bentley get decent minutes in the 2nd row as well.
    Agreed for me hes the diredt replacement for taia when he retires

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I can understand resting Taia throughout the season. But I think this week I would go with Bentley at centre and give Ashworth a go in the SR. I may be wrong but I don't see Bentley as a long term first choice SR. We have Knowles, he is not the biggest but the way he plays he is undroppable, we can't afford two smallish back rows.

At least if Bentley plays second row instead of Taia he’s only going up against someone called Sonny Bill Williams who’s only played a couple of Super League games!

Learning All The Songs

I think our main issues for this game are in the backs. I realise this is pure fantasy but what about:

Lomax
    Makinson Naiqama Welsby Grace
    Fage Dodds?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I think our main issues for this game are in the backs. I realise this is pure fantasy but what about:

Lomax
    Makinson Naiqama Welsby Grace
    Fage Dodds?
    Interesting combination - but a bit of a risk given lack of experience. I can't see KW going for it - but I'd like to see how they would go, I think they could be okay given some time.

I think what it does show is a lack of depth especially in the backs. Given our injuries - it shows we're a bit light in that department. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision to let Swift and Richardson go - but we would have had more cover if we had them in the side.

When Coote comes back in we should look a lot more balanced. He was crucial for us last year. Not just his quality - but his experience.

I don't think we'll be as consistent this year as last (would have been difficult anyway) but we are still in a strong position for picking up silverware. I think the true challenge is over the next couple of seasons - how we transition with crucial players leaving/retiring. Recruitment of quality and getting some strength in depth being key.

Banned

Richardson had to go, Saints was too big for him. Adam I wish he would have hung around he is better than Costello. The one thing I would say is Welsby and hopefully others will get game exposure alongside Coote Lomax etc.,

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Interesting combination - but a bit of a risk given lack of experience. I can't see KW going for it - but I'd like to see how they would go, I think they could be okay given some time.

I think what it does show is a lack of depth especially in the backs. Given our injuries - it shows we're a bit light in that department. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision to let Swift and Richardson go - but we would have had more cover if we had them in the side.

When Coote comes back in we should look a lot more balanced. He was crucial for us last year. Not just his quality - but his experience.

I don't think we'll be as consistent this year as last (would have been difficult anyway) but we are still in a strong position for picking up silverware. I think the true challenge is over the next couple of seasons - how we transition with crucial players leaving/retiring. Recruitment of quality and getting some strength in depth being key.
    I’m sure that’s right. Dodds looks brilliant but maybe needs more time. I don’t rate Costello I’m afraid. I don’t think he is good enough and I like Simms to get a go but he isn’t in the squaf

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I’m sure that’s right. Dodds looks brilliant but maybe needs more time. I don’t rate Costello I’m afraid. I don’t think he is good enough and I like Simms to get a go but he isn’t in the squaf
    Its a difficult one for Woolf, if we look at the skillset we are probably looking at Dodds-Simms-Costello in that order, if we look at physical toughness we are probably looking at Costello-Simms-Dodds in that order. Woolf top priority will be defence and this is why Costello is getting in the squad. We also have to put Welsby in the mix because he has the physicality and skills to cover full back, centre and stand off.

If we lose Lomax and Fages together through injury I should imagine we could see a partnership of Dodd and Welsby. Simms might get the occasional game at right centre if we start to rest players but the reserve games are the opportunities to develop and challenge the first team squad.

I understand Saints have sold very few tickets for this game..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Not surprised to be honest. I was going to go to London and would have gone to Widnes or Leigh. Last week against Roosters was an expensive but good day and as such this one is a SKY game at home for me. I don't class Warrington a great day out if I am honest and have no wish to put money in their coffers.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Not surprised to be honest. I was going to go to London and would have gone to Widnes or Leigh. Last week against Roosters was an expensive but good day and as such this one is a SKY game at home for me. I don't class Warrington a great day out if I am honest and have no wish to put money in their coffers.
    I'm not surprised either. Imagine there could be a number of yobs hanging around ready to do in any cars from st Helens. I am certainly not risking it.

Learning All The Songs

They should have just held it at saints, a bigger crowd would be a certainty. Can’t really see the logic in holding it a few miles down the road.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post

It's very hard to balance a squad given the cap as we all know. I can't blame either Swift or Richardson for moving on, both are too good just to sit in the reserves and play the odd first team game but neither are good enough to play for us regularly. For the same reasons it's difficult to have and great strength in depth as most players know there worth and won't hang around as they can go elsewhere and play first team rugby. Obviously there's exceptions to this such as Amor who's probably still picking up a good wage, knows he's not going to play much but is a handy player to have around and a good role model for younger lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    They should have just held it at saints, a bigger crowd would be a certainty. Can’t really see the logic in holding it a few miles down the road.
    31 quid on the gate doesn't help.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Good.
    Why?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Why?
    The game has been turned into a farce and as Saints fans we shouldn't put money into Warrington's pocket unless we're playing them.

Well at least Sky sorted the sound out

Bentley was going well before he went off hurt. Hopefully isn't too serious.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Zeb Taia has looked good as well IMO, started the season really well.

Hope Bentley is okay.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Bentley was going well before he went off hurt. Hopefully isn't too serious.

Big fan of Bentley, he was playing really well however it does look a bad one unfortunately.

In regards to the other poster yes Taia is looking a beast at the moment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Big fan of Bentley, he was playing really well however it does look a bad one unfortunately.

In regards to the other poster yes Taia is looking a beast at the moment.
    Bentley was our best player before he went off, fingers crossed he's not too bad.

We might get our hands on the nil cup here....

And Smiths try was very Roby-esque dontcha think??
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

I can’t see Toronto winning a game this year. Their defence is woeful and their attack is non existent.