Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Will Saints suffer for next few weeks?

Default Will Saints suffer for next few weeks?

What’s your thoughts on Saints in the next few weeks after a gruelling WCC. Still missing a few players (Coote Percy) plus not sure if we will have a couple of knocks from Saturday to deal with. Will we take Toronto too easily?
    Will it be difficult for the players to get up for next couple of games after the experience of Saturdays game?
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    What’s your thoughts on Saints in the next few weeks after a gruelling WCC. Still missing a few players (Coote Percy) plus not sure if we will have a couple of knocks from Saturday to deal with. Will we take Toronto too easily?
    Will it be difficult for the players to get up for next couple of games after the experience of Saturdays game?
    I would have thought the team would have taken lots of positives from that match up with the Roosters, although we had Coote, Percival and Grace missing we must remember that Makinson, Knowles and Roby were probably not 100% match fit. It was in our pack were it was energy sapping maybe Woolf will bring Amor and Ashworth back into the side and reduce the minutes of Walmsley and Thompson.

The likes of Costello and Welsby are gaining valuable match time whilst Coote must only be a couple of games away before we meet stiffer opposition. For Toronto there attack is below average so I think we should be able to contain them, a low missed tackle count and a high completion rate with good discipline should see us through the next couple of games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Depends on how many of the lads feel today that game was another level you get in Superleague so if they can keep that intensity we won't have too many problems this season. Just need to be more clinical on attack but it's not easy with constant changes.
    Learned comment from The Don

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I would think after the WCC slipped away, with a touch more Luck Saints could have won it, they will be more determined than ever to show they are more than a force to be reckoned with and will go out to smash anything in front of them. I hope they show no mercy and give Toronto a real glimpse of SuperLeague and it's finest team.

They are professional and I hope CW expects no less than the above.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

I do think we need to perform on Saturday. But reality might be different. No player will deliberately go into the game not giving 100% but it’s only human to be sore/tired and maybe subconsciously think it won’t be a hard game and fall short.
    We need to pick up points off teams we are expected to beat. I don’t go with the adage it’s early in the season so losing the odd game doesn’t matter.
    Will have more of an idea when the squad is announced.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

hope we don't take Toronto lightly-wouldn't want to be the first team to lose to them

Banned

Teams will look to manage their performance peaks through the course of the season. Most will gradually build themselves into the season over the first few/several weeks. Being in the WCC reduces that option, meaning a 'peak' is often brought forwards.

But we've had a disrupted start to the season anyway, with a few players missing the opening couple of games and others picking up early-season injuries.

I think we need to be very mindful of burn-out for some key players who put a lot of energy and physicality into games. We've had three games on the bounce that have been really physically intense. I thought Holbrook managed the players (in terms of keeping them fresh) very well last season, and I hope Woolf does similar this year.

Learning All The Songs

on the injury front, any news on Coote's return?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    on the injury front, any news on Coote's return?

Planned to return against Hudds, I believe

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    IMO the real danger is complacency. Thinking that Toronto (and maybe Huddersfield?) are 'easier' to beat, then going into the game with that frame of mind.
    Nothing really to do with the WCC. As many have said already, we can take lots of positives from that game. No harm done at all IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I would think after the WCC slipped away, with a touch more Luck Saints could have won it, they will be more determined than ever to show they are more than a force to be reckoned with and will go out to smash anything in front of them. I hope they show no mercy and give Toronto a real glimpse of SuperLeague and it's finest team.

They are professional and I hope CW expects no less than the above.
    Agreed. I think a slump would have been more likely had we won it. I think the way it went should spur us on to greater things.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I think a slump would have been more likely had we won it or got heavily beaten. We can rotate the squad against Toronto and then a few weeks later against Hull KR. Unless there’s further injuries we should only be missing Percival going forwards past the next couple of weeks.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

This group seem very professional, last years relentlessness proved that, so i doubt they will be taking Toronto lightly. After a positive performance at the weekend, confidence should be high and hopefully everyone came through it unscathed. I can't see anything other than us winning the next 2 matches.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    This group seem very professional, last years relentlessness proved that, so i doubt they will be taking Toronto lightly. After a positive performance at the weekend, confidence should be high and hopefully everyone came through it unscathed. I can't see anything other than us winning the next 2 matches.
    This mirrors my thoughts.

Banned

I don't think so. We've had a tough start losing in Warrington's cup final, and against the best team in the world in a match that was tough but not overly tough, we're getting bodies back and younger lads are getting valuable game time. Whilst they're not ripping up any trees they are doing ok. We've also beaten last years Grand finalists and Hull away who have been tipped to do well this year. We've not hit our straps yet and we all know we're better once the weather starts getting warmer. Barring a disaster with injuries we'll finish top 2 no worries.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't think so. We've had a tough start losing in Warrington's cup final, and against the best team in the world in a match that was tough but not overly tough, we're getting bodies back and younger lads are getting valuable game time. Whilst they're not ripping up any trees they are doing ok. We've also beaten last years Grand finalists and Hull away who have been tipped to do well this year. We've not hit our straps yet and we all know we're better once the weather starts getting warmer. Barring a disaster with injuries we'll finish top 2 no worries.
    The way we got up for that game, we should spare a thought for Rogues, and the rubbish he has to put up with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The way we got up for that game, we should spare a thought for Rogues, and the rubbish he has to put up with.
    He has his speadsheets to keep him entertained.

Banned

Spreadsheets and bedsheets the life of a modern day misfit.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I fully expect a revved up , relentless front pack against Toronto next week and the back line to have polished their passing/catching , leading to us giving them a hiding.

Then Hudds is the next home game, again, the lads will want to get back to winning ways at home.

Genuinely believe the next couple of weeks , we will be at our most ruthless and it kickstarts this campaign.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I fully expect a revved up , relentless front pack against Toronto next week and the back line to have polished their passing/catching , leading to us giving them a hiding.

Then Hudds is the next home game, again, the lads will want to get back to winning ways at home.

Genuinely believe the next couple of weeks , we will be at our most ruthless and it kickstarts this campaign.
    I agree.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

It would have been great to win the WCC, but we didn't so the team needs to draw a line under it...its out of the way and the season starts now.

As has been mentioned it's more often when a team has won the WCC they then have a slump and they should be too professional to let Saturdays defeat have any effect.

Toronto will be physically tough they have been getting better each week and with the wrong attitude it could be a banana skin.

Huddersfield seem to have recruited well and maybe coming to us as an unbeaten team but that's two weeks off so any WCC hangover should be gone by then.

One other point Saturday was Roby's first game of the season, now that's out the way if he is fully fit he should see us through.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    IMO the real danger is complacency. Thinking that Toronto (and maybe Huddersfield?) are 'easier' to beat, then going into the game with that frame of mind.
    Nothing really to do with the WCC. As many have said already, we can take lots of positives from that game. No harm done at all IMO.
    ...Something I hadn't thought of until now, and I'm not sure if it will have any impact, is that we will be a game behind most others until we play Catalans in the fixture we missed due to the WCC. It will probably skew the league table.
    It could work either way. Top of the league with a game in hand sounds nice!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Saturdays game was quite physical and could have taken a bit out of the team, but mentally i expect them to be switched on for Saturday. No shame in losing to the Roosters. The team will dust themselves off and move on. We’ll put 40 points on Toronto.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies