Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 21 man squad v Sydney Roosters

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Didn’t want to start a whole new thread but went to watch the Reserves play Wigan today.

Simm had a very good game. May be worth trying against the lesser teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I missed the reserves game today and try to get to as many of the Academy and Reserves games as I can with a few mates so was gutted to miss the Wigan game. It was Simm’s first game back today after preseason injury so good to hear he went well. Definitely get him in the 1st team while Percival is missing. A centre playing centre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Banned

Didn’t want to start a whole new thread but went to watch the Reserves play Wigan today.

Simm had a very good game. May be worth trying against the lesser teams.

Out of interest how did the forwards go? Ive always been more interested in potential than result in these games simoly because the attrition rate for plaers graduating into succesful sSL players is so high.

Default 21 man squad v Sydney Roosters

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Out of interest how did the forwards go? Ive always been more interested in potential than result in these games simoly because the attrition rate for plaers graduating into succesful sSL players is so high.
    Difficult to judge in a way as Amor, Ashworth and Batchelor started. Batchelor played well and Ashworth ran his weight including a bit of biff with his opposite number. He looked a class above as you’d expect unlike Greenwood who seems to be regressing rapidly, looks totally unfit.

The other lad who did ok was Callum Hazzard. He’s a big old unit but looks like he’s carrying weight. There are those at the club who think he’ll be a late developer and will be one of those that only play first team at 24.

Ben Davies did ok too. We signed him from Widnes as a stand off but played him back row..

Banned

Difficult to judge in a way as Amor, Ashworth and Batchelor started. Batchelor played well and Ashworth ran his weight including a bit of biff with his opposite number. He looked a class above as you’d expect unlike Greenwood who seems to be regressing rapidly, looks totally unfit.

The other lad who did ok was Callum Hazzard. He’s a big old unit but looks like he’s carrying weight. There are those at the club who think he’ll be a late developer and will be one of those that only play first team at 24.

Ben Davies did ok too. We signed him from Widnes as a stand off but played him back row..

Thanks pal. Appeciated

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    How many of us would have taken 12-20 and coming away frustrated when we walked into the ground last night? Most of us I reckon. Whilst it would have been amazing to win, and probably would have been the marquee night in our short history at LP, it was a good performance and one that shows that we should approach the rest of the season with the aim of winning everything. It may not happen, but we are a fine team that should win several trophies in the next 5 years.

I’m not one for bad mouthing refs or blaming them for defeats, but the forward pass call on us and the no call on them was effectively a 10-12 point swing. I also thought he was far too lenient on the high shots early on, and basically gave them carte blanche to continue doing it with no fear of anything other than a pen. It can’t be ignored that Kendall will want to ref big Test matches in the next 18 months, and will want to be seen internationally as the top ref over here. Like it or not, having the Aussies onside and having them believe that you ref the game their way is an advantage. I don’t think he refs that game the same way in a SL game for example.

But, end of the day, if you’re missing your 1, 4 and 5 you probably shouldn’t be beating the back to back NRL champions, and I think that was the difference. Not having Coote or our strike threat out left resulted in errors on that side in big situations which then led to us throwing it out right with no real structure or attempt to create an overlap. It’s frustrating, but big games are decided on the small things, and we didn’t get them right or didn’t have the players out there to get them right.

On a wider scale, people say the WCC doesn’t matter, and to a degree it doesn’t when compared with winning the NRL Premiership or winning a Grand Final or Challenge Cup, but we had 16k there last night, with 95% of them Saints fans. More Saints fans turned out for this than the play off game with Wigan last season, and in fact more turned out for any game since the last WCC against Souths if you take into the account that all our big SL crowds have contained 2-3k in the away end.

To be able to host these games in our new place, for it to be as atmospheric as it was last night, and to have the Aussies commenting on how loud and great the place was is a great thing for the club. We have loads to be proud of right now. Onwards and upwards, let’s win some more trophies and hopefully get to do this all again in 12 months.

Great post, and pretty much my thoughts.

Games like these are about more than just winning the match. They're about improving the standing of the club in the community and the wider game.

The lads who played did the club proud, every single one of them. Walmsley was incredible, but I thought Fages, Knowles, Taia, Lees, Smith all played their socks off and were fantastic.

Walmsley actually made 201 metres on the official NRL stats with 49 of them post contact

That is absolutely immense from the big man

Lots of missed tackles from us, not surprising with the intensity of the game- no Super League team runs as hard as they do

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shady saint View Post
    i missed the reserves game today and try to get to as many of the academy and reserves games as i can with a few mates so was gutted to miss the wigan game. It was simm’s first game back today after preseason injury so good to hear he went well. Definitely get him in the 1st team while percival is missing. A centre playing centre!
    Untill i saw the result on fb i had no idea they where playing
    sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    [/quote]

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Walmsley actually made 201 metres on the official NRL stats with 49 of them post contact

Lots of missed tackles from us, not surprising with the intensity of the game- no Super League team runs as hard as they do
    Interesting stats from the NRL we missed 46 tackles whilst the Roosters missed 21 tackles. What I did notice which was mostly in the first quarter was the Roosters speed of getting up and moving forward off the mark at the PTB which Kendal didn't control properly, the stats show that Saints PTB speed average was 4.4 secs whilst the Roosters PTB speed average was 3.8 secs. Most probably the defensive line speed would be similar but the Saints speed of play must have been NRL standard as the Roosters are quicker than other NRL teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Have to say I was very unhappy with some of Jake Friend's decisions whilst officiating on saturday night.

Not sure it would have made a massive difference if Kendall was more accurate but we were pretty close to them in my opinion. If we play with that intensity we won't be far away this season.
    Learned comment from The Don

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    That’s nonsense. We gave it a good go and could have beat them but they’re still comfortably better than us, their ruck speed in the first half was the quickest I’ve seen and if they’d got out of second gear the game would have been done by half time. The idea that Wigan and Wire could have given them a close game is ridiculous as well. Both are rubbish, they’d have put 40+ on both without breaking sweat. Warrington struggled to beat Toronto, somehow I don’t think the Roosters would have had much trouble in thumping them. I agree the NRL love in is a bit nauseating but there’s no point in pretending there isn’t a clear gulf in quality.
    I don't know how you come to that conclusion, regarding Wigan.
    Wigan have never had 40 points scored against them in any World Cup Challenge Final. They played the Roosters last year and lost by four tries to two, one of those coming from the Sydney side in the last five minutes of the game.

As for the Saturdays game, I really enjoyed it and with a bit more composure Saints may have won, but the Roosters always looked more dangerous with ball in hand. Aaron Smith surprised me, I thought he had a really good game, his distribution was excellent. Welsby struggled a bit but he's a good prospect. Do Saints take him out for a couple of games, which could dent his confidence, or let him play through it, tough decision?
    I thought the post match interview at the screen with Trent Robinson and Jon Wells was really interesting, the amount of detail that coaches see is frightening to the ordinary fan.
    If you're looking for a replacement second row for next season, I'm sure we could let you have Joe Greenwood back, he looks to have lost all interest at the moment.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thank goodness that there is no mention of the possible dangerous tackle by Roby and Walmsley on today's disciplinary findings, it was obviously accidental, and the player was released gently, but I've seen incidents like that punished before, possibly the fact that some of the Roosters head tackles would have had to be referred cancelled any further action out

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    If you're looking for a replacement second row for next season, I'm sure we could let you have Joe Greenwood back, he looks to have lost all interest at the moment.
    Greenwood was the same at Saints. He'd be outstanding for short spells and then revert to playing really passively. Swapping him for Taia was the one really positive legacy of the KC years.

Wigan have never had 40 points scored against them in any World Cup Challenge Final. They played the Roosters last year and lost by four tries to two, one of those coming from the Sydney side in the last five minutes of the game.
    True but Brisbane did put 40 odd on you IIRC when it was briefly a world club series

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

And yet according to some Roosters fans none of our team would get into theirs! Also shout out to James Roby, 1st game back 36 tackles 0 missed tackles.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

As for the Saturdays game, I really enjoyed it and with a bit more composure Saints may have won, but the Roosters always looked more dangerous with ball in hand. Aaron Smith surprised me, I thought he had a really good game, his distribution was excellent. Welsby struggled a bit but he's a good prospect. Do Saints take him out for a couple of games, which could dent his confidence, or let him play through it, tough decision?
    I thought the post match interview at the screen with Trent Robinson and Jon Wells was really interesting, the amount of detail that coaches see is frightening to the ordinary fan.
    I,m not sure if the current Wigan team would have kept them to an 8 point margin and controlled the game for large periods in the 2nd half. Our pack more or less cancelled out the Roosters pack and Walmsley alone bossed it on numerous occasions, I don't think the Wigan pack could have survived the Roosters onslaught in that first quarter of the game.

At the pre + post match conferences the Roosters highlighted that they took the game more seriously this year and were in better condition for the game, they paid us a compliment by saying it felt more like an NRL final endorsed by their coach and players.

Banned

Because your pack is junk, summed up best by that total imposter of a rugby player Tony Clubb. Total wastrel. There would be only one maybe two players in it whod break the 17 at Saints.

Most of the rest are or off by a distance, I was amazed the bookies rated Wigan so highly before the start of this season I must say. There off by a season or so for me until the decent youngsters mature and they replace garbage like Clubb.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

By far the best forward on the field. I think that was probably the best I have ever seen him play. A class above the rest including the Aussies.

Learning All The Songs

Nobody is giving Dom Peyroux any praise as I thought he was outstanding running his blood to water. Well played big Dom

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

To be fair they all played well and with a bit of luck we might even have won.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m not sure if the current Wigan team would have kept them to an 8 point margin and controlled the game for large periods in the 2nd half. Our pack more or less cancelled out the Roosters pack and Walmsley alone bossed it on numerous occasions, I don't think the Wigan pack could have survived the Roosters onslaught in that first quarter of the game.

At the pre + post match conferences the Roosters highlighted that they took the game more seriously this year and were in better condition for the game, they paid us a compliment by saying it felt more like an NRL final endorsed by their coach and players.
    I'm sure they also mentioned how impressed they were by the event itself and our hospitality. I suppose that's a bit easier when you have your own facilities though instead of being tenants to a team that hate you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Nobody is giving Dom Peyroux any praise as I thought he was outstanding running his blood to water. Well played big Dom
    Certainly was, as was Taia I thought. I can't praise Peyroux highly enough the way he's turned things around, he's a top class player on his day and his fitness is fantastic.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Certainly was, as was Taia I thought. I can't praise Peyroux highly enough the way he's turned things around, he's a top class player on his day and his fitness is fantastic.
    The whole pack, subs included, really took it to them and stood their own for most of the game, controlling large parts of it. We have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed off.

Wouldn't mind us signing Sio Siua Taukeiaho either to replace Thompson, if he fell in love with the North West...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    The whole pack, subs included, really took it to them and stood their own for most of the game, controlling large parts of it. We have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed off.

Wouldn't mind us signing Sio Siua Taukeiaho either to replace Thompson, if he fell in love with the North West...
    hope not-can't pronounce his name

In The South Stand

Wigan have never had 40 points scored against them in any World Cup Challenge Final.
    True - maybe you should have taken that WCC mindset into the playoffs last year and you wouldn’t have shipped 40 to us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    True - maybe you should have taken that WCC mindset into the playoffs last year and you wouldn’t have shipped 40 to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste