Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith...game changer

Noooobie

Default Smith...game changer

Absolutely bossed that second half for Saints. He was full of guile and knew how and when to pick exactly the right pass. Fully deserved his try. Though LMS had a good showing too.

Great stuff. Thanks.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

We look so much better with a natural 9 in there. Smith should be starting over Bentley for me

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Smith is a better hooker than Bentley. It's no surprise that we played better in the 2nd half.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    We look so much better with a natural 9 in there. Smith should be starting over Bentley for me

Strange what happens when you play players in their natural positions instead of trying to put square pegs in round holes.....

Banned

To be honest he is not the biggest of lads and maybe the idea for this season was for Robes to be spelled like a prop forward and Smith to get at tired defences. Lets hope Robes is back for next week and we keep him healthy. I feel we need to remember Robes played through gritted teeth most of last season.

Only listened on the radio but the difference in attack was obvious. I wonder if Bentley might be worth a go at centre next week or do we stay with Costello?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post

Agreed and but he is still a young player and I guess the coach thinks this is the best way to protect him from the impacts in the early part of a game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Only listened on the radio but the difference in attack was obvious. I wonder if Bentley might be worth a go at centre next week or do we stay with Costello?
    one thing for sure, with those 2 together there is a distinct lack of pace on the left as shown by Connor's try today.

Got A Season Ticket

Said it the other week as soon as Smith is introduced our attacking play goes up a notch. I like Bentley but he isn’t a hooker! I Would keep Costello at centre next week. I’m not a fan of putting a second rower to centre. Costello scored a well taken try today and looks as though he is going to play there till September.

In The South Stand

Bentley at 9 stops next week, providing Roby plays. He’s done a job a couple of times there for us but he’s not a 9 and certainly not over a sustained period of games. He now needs to nail down a position because I’m really not sure where he fits on a rugby pitch.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Agreed and but he is still a young player and I guess the coach thinks this is the best way to protect him from the impacts in the early part of a game.
    Yeah I think so. I think today showed the impact he can have when the game/substitutions have broken a bit. I was a bit surprised how late it was against Salford and Warrington before he came on. I expected him to come on after maybe 25 mins rather than 60 minutes or whatever and I think that would have been ideal given the opposition and the time of year.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

I have been reserved over how Smith would kick on this season, but today was a really good showing. I actually think a lot of it with him is confidence, hopefully that will grow with some games under his belt, because he clearly has talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cock_Sparrer View Post
    Absolutely bossed that second half for Saints. He was full of guile and knew how and when to pick exactly the right pass. Fully deserved his try. Though LMS had a good showing too.
    I'm sorry but to say he 'bossed' the second half is way over the top.

We just put a proper 9 in there, the most important position on the pitch. Because everything comes from you. You can't say he bossed it.

Houghton isn't what he was. I think his legs have gone & Smith was sharper & fresher from hooker.

Did a good job but to say anymore is daft. Lomax did the damage on the back of quick, accurate, sharp ball from Smith

Noooobie

I disagree fella. He was composed and gave our attack a fluency and energy it was lacking first half. He set a platform for Lomax and Fages (who was superb) to cause Hull a right headache. For me Smith was the difference, but hey its all opinion and if I'm wrong then fair play...all that really matters is we got the win.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm sorry but to say he 'bossed' the second half is way over the top.

We just put a proper 9 in there, the most important position on the pitch. Because everything comes from you. You can't say he bossed it.

Houghton isn't what he was. I think his legs have gone & Smith was sharper & fresher from hooker.

Did a good job but to say anymore is daft. Lomax did the damage on the back of quick, accurate, sharp ball from Smith
    You make me feel all sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cock_Sparrer View Post
    I disagree fella. He was composed and gave our attack a fluency and energy it was lacking first half. He set a platform for Lomax and Fages (who was superb) to cause Hull a right headache. For me Smith was the difference, but hey its all opinion and if I'm wrong then fair play...all that really matters is we got the win.
    I take your point. Plenty of people disagree with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You make me feel all sexy.
    Well, I'm blushing

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Aarpn Smith is a very good player and is still very young in front row terms and needs to be eased in. Robes had the benefit of being under KC's wing and look how that worked out.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Dare I say it, but Smith wasn't the only difference in the 2nd half. Paulo came on too. I've said it before on here, but I think he brings some extra organisation to the middle.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Dare I say it, but Smith wasn't the only difference in the 2nd half. Paulo came on too. I've said it before on here, but I think he brings some extra organisation to the middle.
    Yes, that came across on the radio commentary he had a couple of offloads available but I don't think the players came in to take the advantage, For Smith he still seems to put his head in the wrong place maybe he should wear a skull cap to give him more confidence.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Bentley is a second rower , I said months ago he isnt a 9 , but he's a great competitor and as Amor said he is well thought of at the club , in my 17 every fixture .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

It gets me when people say Smith ist big enough then suggest putting Fages at number 9 , how many times do Hookers go into the front row anyway these days ?, Smith has served his apprenticeship.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    It gets me when people say Smith ist big enough then suggest putting Fages at number 9 , how many times do Hookers go into the front row anyway these days ?, Smith has served his apprenticeship.
    The argument against Smith has nothing to do with his size and a lot to do with his defence being seen as not up to scratch yet, compare Fages and Smith defensively, Fages is streets ahead. I say yet as it is something he can improve on and no doubt will, but his defence is the obvious reason why we are starting someone in Bentley who is not a number 9 in the history of rugby.

If Roby and Grace both play then the bench selection could be interesting. Four from five out of Lees, LMS, Smith, Paulo and Bentley?