Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith...game changer

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    The argument against Smith has nothing to do with his size and a lot to do with his defence being seen as not up to scratch yet, compare Fages and Smith defensively, Fages is streets ahead. I say yet as it is something he can improve on and no doubt will, but his defence is the obvious reason why we are starting someone in Bentley who is not a number 9 in the history of rugby.
    Yeah good post mate. I think parts of Smith’s game are already really good, his distribution is brilliant and he’s got some vision about him but I suspect coaches will have reservations about starting him in big games until his defence improves. As you say he plays in a position where he’s got to make 2/3 dominant, controlled tackles every set and if you’ve got a hooker who can’t do that, especially at the start of the game, you’re obviously going to get torn apart through the middle. I think he’ll get more opportunities to start games as we get into the season and we’ll see how he goes then.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we won the GF last year with IMO the two best defensive half-backs in the league. I’m not sure you can carry ‘questionable’ defenders anymore to be honest anywhere.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Mark Sneyd strolled past AS when Hull scored their final try. I like him but his defence needs a lot of work. Hope Robes and KW can improve this element of his game!

In The South Stand

Roby wont keep going for all the game and Smith is a proper number nine.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Bentley is a second rower , I said months ago he isnt a 9 , but he's a great competitor and as Amor said he is well thought of at the club , in my 17 every fixture .
    I would agree second row. To be fair all the young players who have come in seem to have improved with experience and they will give plenty of good cover over the season. I fully expect one or two to become regulars but they still have a way to go yet Robes & Coote back in the team will be a massive boost.

Got A Replica Shirt

From the pretty limited coverage of the game on the Super League Show it looked to me as if Smith's passing had definitely sharpened up a lot from last season, which was good to see. Agree his defence still needs more work, but on this showing I feel more positive about his long-term prospects than I did at the start of the season.