Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull

Got A Season Ticket

Where is Saddened......must be rock bottom depressed that he wasnt right.....again.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    Where is Saddened......must be rock bottom depressed that he wasnt right.....again.
    He's busy giving it back to the wire fans on rlfans.

Back from game..Thoughts. 1st half was quite disappointing. Appeared to learn nothing re giving stupid slow play the ball tactic penalties away.
    Defended ok, but actually thought Hull were no that great. Thought we were timid in attack. Graces try saving tackle (picked up his injury) was a big point in 1st half.
    2nd half was so different. Smith to hooker with Bentley moving to his preferred position worked well. Also the players looked more urgent and with less penalties we just looked a different team. Credit to Paulo who looked a lot better. 2nd half Bentley was more comfortable as was Costello on the wing. That’s said I actually think Hull were poor IMO so difficult to gauge really how good we were or were not.
    Still lots to get on top of. We can’t start like we did v Roosters. We miss Cootes direction.

One other point..Hats off to the fans that travelled but thought we would have had a bigger turnout.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Thought first half we were poor, dare I say it, it was almost like to the pre-Holbrook days of just 1 out rugby and 5 tackles and a kick. Added to this Hull's much better showing first half (compared to second), I felt we deserved to be behind on the score-board at half time.

Second half, completely different showing, and no coincidence to me that as soon as J-lo started zipping about and we started getting the ball wider and moving it away from the first receiver, we made yards, put plays together, and got over the line.

Lomax was the catalyst today, and we need someone else in that team to start contributing with the play-making because J-lo cannot do it all on his own. He tries, but I feel we miss Coote a lot more than we think.

Good to see Makinson & Knowles back, both back to their usual games with plenty of yards in attack, and terrier-like defending, respectively.

Good win. Smith impressed.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Really good win that given the circumstances. Felt we might struggle today so to get the result is brilliant.

Still amazes me how good Jonny Lomax is. Best player in the competition by a distance for me.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    No, made up. Great win today. I'm just a naturally pessimistic person, a worrier that thinks the worst when the doorbell goes never mind when Saints are playing. But I want us to win every game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Really good win that given the circumstances. Felt we might struggle today so to get the result is brilliant.

Still amazes me how good Jonny Lomax is. Best player in the competition by a distance for me.
    Without a doubt. The problem for Jonny is that we have other good players, so he doesn't get MOM every week. If all players were given a mark out of 10 each week for performance he would be MOS.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Just had a look at the tries and we may have had a bit of luck with 1 or 2.
    I've not watched in slo-mo but if the screen was available we may not had as big a gap.

Having said that I think if the gap was not as big, we would have shut down 1 or both of the tries that Hull scored with more focused defending.
    Very hard to judge from 2 mins worth of scoring highlights, but overall looked fairly positive.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Just had a look at the tries and we may have had a bit of luck with 1 or 2.
    I've not watched in slo-mo but if the screen was available we may not had as big a gap.

Having said that I think if the gap was not as big, we would have shut down 1 or both of the tries that Hull scored with more focused defending.
    Very hard to judge from 2 mins worth of scoring highlights, but overall looked fairly positive.
    Would have probably ruled out Hull’s 1st try then for their winger pushing Grace in the air. The pass from Connor to Tuimavave for their 2nd try was also clearly forwards. Swings and roundabouts.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Would have probably ruled out Hull’s 1st try then for their winger pushing Grace in the air. The pass from Connor to Tuimavave for their 2nd try was also clearly forwards. Swings and roundabouts.
    I also thought that Griffin was in front of the kicker and within 10 metres of Grace in the lead up to their first try.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I also thought that Griffin was in front of the kicker and within 10 metres of Grace in the lead up to their first try.
    notwithstanding that , Bentley made a right mess of kicking the ball dead
    Last edited by Saint from Bury; 17th February 2020 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    notwithstanding that , Bentley made a right mass of kicking the ball dead
    I’ve never understood why players don’t touch the ball down rather than try to fly hack it, especially those who aren’t natural kickers.

First half was almost a repeat of Wire game
    We looked solid in defence but gave them too much possession and gave silly penalties away. Their try was fortunate on the back of a couple of calamatous attempts to defend the kick.
    I thought second half we were very good. Tidied things up especially on the floor. We got some good field position as a result and scored some great tries. I did think at 24-6 we should have popped over a DG to take us 4 scores clear and drop their heads.
    Johnny was excellent taking the ball to the line. Good to see Knowles back and Tommy gave us good go forward and a quick play the ball coming away from our line for a first game back he looked quite sharp.
    LMS did a great shift bar the draft penalty.
    Overall our defence was excellent and aggressive.
    I thought it was a great win. They have looked a good team and I got the impression they really fancied it yesterday.
    On the subject of decisions I didn't see much wrong with the try chalked off for a forward near the end.
    I have to say I thought the travelling support was very decent considering the storm warnings and advice for people not to travel unless necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    First half was almost a repeat of Wire game
    We looked solid in defence but gave them too much possession and gave silly penalties away. Their try was fortunate on the back of a couple of calamatous attempts to defend the kick.
    I thought second half we were very good. Tidied things up especially on the floor. We got some good field position as a result and scored some great tries. I did think at 24-6 we should have popped over a DG to take us 4 scores clear and drop their heads.
    Johnny was excellent taking the ball to the line. Good to see Knowles back and Tommy gave us good go forward and a quick play the ball coming away from our line for a first game back he looked quite sharp.
    LMS did a great shift bar the draft penalty.
    Overall our defence was excellent and aggressive.
    I thought it was a great win. They have looked a good team and I got the impression they really fancied it yesterday.
    On the subject of decisions I didn't see much wrong with the try chalked off for a forward near the end.
    I have to say I thought the travelling support was very decent considering the storm warnings and advice for people not to travel unless necessary.
    I agree with most of this. I only differ in that I actually think Hull were not that good. They folded really easily 2nd half which was what they did a lot last year, but that’s just my perception. I made a comment re the fans attending thinking it was less than I thought but agree maybe some did not go as they thought it would be poor weather. As it turned out is was the easiest journey I’ve had up there.
    2nd half was like we were used to last year. Let’s hope that continues.

Just seen Costello and Bentley both cautioned for dangerous contact during game.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I agree with most of this. I only differ in that I actually think Hull were not that good. They folded really easily 2nd half which was what they did a lot last year, but that’s just my perception. I made a comment re the fans attending thinking it was less than I thought but agree maybe some did not go as they thought it would be poor weather. As it turned out is was the easiest journey I’ve had up there.
    2nd half was like we were used to last year. Let’s hope that continues.
    really glad I decided to go .Not been there for a few years and first time I have seen us win at the KCOM.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    No, made up. Great win today. I'm just a naturally pessimistic person, a worrier that thinks the worst when the doorbell goes never mind when Saints are playing. But I want us to win every game.
    No worries Cobber. A Saints win is a great boost....even down here.