Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 year deal for Percival

Bit harsh to refer to failed Academy players and refer to them singularly.
    Not every academy player will go on to be regular first teamers.

I think Costello has reached the Fleming Spedding plateau.

The term failed would apply to an overall academy that failed to produce a good proportion of
    quality first teamers and nothing but championship grade players.

Saints Academy is up there with the best. Some will become stars , some will go to Championship or the amateur game.
    When Saints fail to produce the likes Thompson , Percival , Lees , and Grace is the time to worry.

That said Costello is probably destined for Championship but that does not make him a failure.
    I think his time has passed and the likes of Simm will come through if his path is not blocked.

Would like to hear that another Grace is in the pipeline from the academy. Real pacey wingers
    is one position that the academy doesn't regularly churn out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    To defend Costello a bit here. It’s obvious he is a squad player so he is never really going to be better than who he steps in for. Plus it can be difficult playing the odd game and not regularly. He was not great V Wire, but then who really was. We all look for scapegoats..plus his pre season was curtailed as he had a shoulder arm issue which required an op. He was in a sling a few weeks ago. Can’t fault his commitment and I have seen him have good games as well. Reality is we can’t have a squad of 20+ superstars..
    While he is never going to be more than a squad player, I did think that toward the end of last year he looked as good as we could expect from someone not in contention for a regular starting spot. He seemed to have gone backward against Wire, whether that was just because of his curtailed pre season or the general panic in our ranks I don't know. As you have said that you watch the juniors, how does he stack up against Simm. Do we hope that Costello was just as bad as the rest on the day, or would you give Simm a game.

Noooobie

I would defo give Josh Simm a run out. He excelled when he played for the Academy and has earned his stripes when he has played for the Reserves. Defo one to watch for the future. Saints in his blood as well. Always gives 100%

Noooobie

The big thing with Josh Simm is that Saints is in his blood and in his heart and for me that makes him an excellent prospect. Get him in the squad and let him play. He flies even from a standing start. He is mature beyond his years and reads the game magnificently. Get him on. Let him show what he can do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    While he is never going to be more than a squad player, I did think that toward the end of last year he looked as good as we could expect from someone not in contention for a regular starting spot. He seemed to have gone backward against Wire, whether that was just because of his curtailed pre season or the general panic in our ranks I don't know. As you have said that you watch the juniors, how does he stack up against Simm. Do we hope that Costello was just as bad as the rest on the day, or would you give Simm a game.
    I think because of fans high expectations Costello gets some unfair criticism at times especially when he comes into the team for 1 or 2 games he did have a spell of 3 or 4 games was the better for it and seem to remember he almost got man of the match only it too be nicked by Lomax he got top 3 M.O.M. on this forum. Costello is a left sided player and almost sure Simms a right sided player it helps if you can make an appearance in the best comfortable position.

It interesting to see what Woolf's pecking order with Costello, Simms and Rizzelli, but as I mentioned earlier when Coote is back in the side those 3 will not be considered as Welsby can cover the back line from 1 to 6.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rosslyn View Post
    The big thing with Josh Simm is that Saints is in his blood and in his heart and for me that makes him an excellent prospect. Get him in the squad and let him play. He flies even from a standing start. He is mature beyond his years and reads the game magnificently. Get him on. Let him show what he can do.
    Welcome to redvee Mrs Simm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk