Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year deal for Percival

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default 5 year deal for Percival

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/02/1...r-saints-deal/

Great news, becoming a really top player and will be badly missed whilst he's out injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/02/1...r-saints-deal/

Great news, becoming a really top player and will be badly missed whilst he's out injured.
    Good news especially on the back of his injury and Thommo leaving

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

I cannot see what he brings to the team! Grace must be made up no service for 5 years!! the start of the decline

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I cannot see what he brings to the team! Grace must be made up no service for 5 years!! the start of the decline

I have criticised Percy as much as anyone for not passing and keep crabbing accross. But very often when he doest that he makes something out of nothing. He is as good as any centre in SL. Who would you have in his place had he not re-signed?

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

most of super league. He is good but i just think he is highly over rated. He score trys but the service he gives Grace is poor. If Grace had a good centre with fast hands he would be a 30 try a season man.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

most of super league. He is good but i just think he is highly over rated. He score trys but the service he gives Grace is poor. If Grace had a good centre with fast hands he would be a 30 try a season man.
    Probably in the top 3 for that position in super league, his all round game is much better than Hurrell, Gildart, Connor etc. etc. Very dangerous player from an oppositions perspective, his individual try in the Grand final is evidence of that attribute. Grace still needs to read the game a bit better and make himself available on the inside once the pair get that understanding then we will see more scores.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Probably in the top 3 for that position in super league, his all round game is much better than Hurrell, Gildart, Connor etc. etc. Very dangerous player from an oppositions perspective, his individual try in the Grand final is evidence of that attribute. Grace still needs to read the game a bit better and make himself available on the inside once the pair get that understanding then we will see more scores.
    You beat me to it with that. I was just going to reply “ See his try in the GF”.

Banned

Best in SL for me a player with natural flair. Take Grace comments on board he needs to be more strategic as a winger.

In The South Stand

Really you can't see what he brings to the team ? He is arguably the best English centre and has far more positive aspects to his game than negatives. He will be a big loss for us while he is out.

Banned

It may be the Widnes link that distorts Col. By word that town has produced some great players from the Karalius dynasty through George Nicholls and now Percy as a start r for 10. Warrington has produced Cullen.

In The South Stand

My only criticism of Percy is his defence rather than his attack. His attack doesn’t bother me at all and he’s exciting and brilliant.
    He shoots out of the line in defence and that bugs me because, often, he doesn’t make the tackle and has just been drawn out by the opposition attackers and our defensive line can go to pot due to the huge hole created in it.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Just announced that Percy requires surgery on injury out for ‘several months’.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Interesting what we do now. Do we move Welsby into the centres or persist with Costello?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

We should approach the Titans in the NRL for a loan signing until Percy is fit again (Watkins)

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Saints must be sure that the shoulder problem is not that serious a la Sam Burgess.

Sounds like the strategy is a deal to see him to testimonial.
    As a player good to have him signed up.

I think Saints will have been very shrewd or a bit soft.
    Without knowing the numbers difficult to judge.

He is a very good player big, fast and tough.

He does however need to sort out his service to Grace and
    curb his crabbing fetish.

Look forward to seeing him back and challenging for an international spot.

Learning All The Songs

Perhaps we should give Josh Simm a go as he is a centre. I know it’s a big step up from the academy but he’s done a decent job and has got a good try scoring record. I suppose now is the time to see how he goes.

Good news - quality player is Percy.

Can be frustrating at times, but his talent is obvious.

Banned

If Costello is selected against Hull he needs a really big game. I feel if he does not impress that could be him done and dusted. I imagine Makinson to right centre maybe considered with Kev covering Percy on the left. The problem is you need a defensively really sound player inside Regan and a bit of height/size as well.

Starting A Programme Collection

Yeah been confirmed by BBC sports , got to say I am not Percy's biggest fan , would love to see a big powerful centre to replace him , then we would see how good Grace really is .

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Interesting what we do now. Do we move Welsby into the centres or persist with Costello?
    Will be very disappointed if we persist (good word) with Costello .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Will be very disappointed if we persist (good word) with Costello .
    To defend Costello a bit here. It’s obvious he is a squad player so he is never really going to be better than who he steps in for. Plus it can be difficult playing the odd game and not regularly. He was not great V Wire, but then who really was. We all look for scapegoats..plus his pre season was curtailed as he had a shoulder arm issue which required an op. He was in a sling a few weeks ago. Can’t fault his commitment and I have seen him have good games as well. Reality is we can’t have a squad of 20+ superstars..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

To defend Costello a bit here. It’s obvious he is a squad player so he is never really going to be better than who he steps in for. Plus it can be difficult playing the odd game and not regularly. He was not great V Wire, but then who really was. We all look for scapegoats..plus his pre season was curtailed as he had a shoulder arm issue which required an op. He was in a sling a few weeks ago. Can’t fault his commitment and I have seen him have good games as well. Reality is we can’t have a squad of 20+ superstars..
    This.

He's had some decent games for us in the past. Nearly everybody was garbage against wire, a but unfair to keep mentioning him in particular. Let him have a good run of games and see how he goes, sometimes fringe players like that need a couple of games to ease their tension, relax a bit and gain confidence. He's got my support for the time being

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Yeah been confirmed by BBC sports , got to say I am not Percy's biggest fan , would love to see a big powerful centre to replace him , then we would see how good Grace really is .
    Good player but ridiculous attempt at a tackle with a big game 2 weeks away.

Banned

Whilst agreeing with you, what counts against Costello is that we have a young centre who people are raving about. Simm maybe considered a little young/underdeveloped to play SL (I don't know) but fans are eager to see how he would go against the big boys.

I also think there's a residual memory of us settling for players like Dawson, Owens & Fleming during our 'unhappy place' years, and not wanting to go back to that sort of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I also think there's a residual memory of us settling for players like Dawson, Owens & Fleming during our 'unhappy place' years, and not wanting to go back to that sort of quality.
    The significant difference is that Dawson and Owens were brought in to the club to be first team players which highlighted the incredibly low standards which the club applied then. The same could be said about Peyroux’s recruitment as a centre but we were lucky that his application and Holbrook’s recognition that he was suited to SR turned that potential disaster around. Costello is different in that he is one of many players developed in-house and, if he fails to reach the necessary heights, I would expect the club eventually to dispense with his services in the same way that the likes of Fleming, Spedding and many other “failed” Academy products have moved on, all to be replaced by the next generation of youth together with a sprinkling of talent from outside.