Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squad V Hull

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    If fit and playing then why not.

I just threw up a few names off the top of my head.

The point still stands , if there is a gap for a few months
    and the youth aren't ready then get someone on loan.

Jai Field another speculative name but would probably need to be a year deal.
    Because he's crap and we binned him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yeah see your point. Lost count of the number of times he got head knocks
    Merit in that post as head injuries are now know as very serious both short and long term. In fact I was mates with an academy player who effectively had his career ended by one...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Most. Id rather hedge of a kid than a 5/10 player like Morgan who wont graduate beyond that. He is a Widnes quality signing at best.
    We need to find a solution for the Roosters game because it may get a bit serious if we are at sixes and sevens down our left. Be carnage if Tedesco chips in with his winger and centre down their right

Merit in that post as head injuries are now know as very serious both short and long term. In fact I was mates with an academy player who effectively had his career ended by one...
    Aye. I could be wrong but I remember him having a few in a relatively short period of time

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    If Percy is out for a considerable amount of time then I would maybe look at moving Welsby to centre once Coote is back.
    I think that may end up being his position ultimately regardless of the Percival injury.

Lomax is untouchable , Dodd is earmarked for greatness at 7.
    Unless Welsby can rid himself of "Adam Swift" hands under the high ball then centre might be his future.
    More positively his left to right passing is exceptional which is rare.

Back on topic Jai Field would be a good bit of business for a year/ 18 months until the NRL wake up.
    He is a superstar in waiting so a Jamie Lyon type signing if not strictly a centre.

Woolf clearly doesn't think Simm/Rizzelli are ready. Not many including myself rate Costello.
    So a short term-ish signing would be good.

Learning All The Songs

I think that may end up being his position ultimately regardless of the Percival injury.

Lomax is untouchable , Dodd is earmarked for greatness at 7.
    Unless Welsby can rid himself of "Adam Swift" hands under the high ball then centre might be his future.

Back on topic Jai Field would be a good bit of business for a year/ 18 months until the NRL wake up.
    He is a superstar in waiting so a Jamie Lyon type signing if not strictly a centre.

Woolf clearly doesn't think Simm/Rizzelli are ready. Not many including myself rate Costello.
    So a short term-ish signing would be good.
    Looks like Jai Field is off to Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Personally I have never liked playing players out of position following injuries.If percy is out then the left centre in the reserves gets the gig for me.It's how percy started and how all of our best players come through. I can't recall his name (Rizelli? I think) but he looks a player when I saw him in the reserves last week.Square pegs in square holes for me.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Personally I have never liked playing players out of position following injuries.If percy is out then the left centre in the reserves gets the gig for me.It's how percy started and how all of our best players come through. I can't recall his name (Rizelli? I think) but he looks a player when I saw him in the reserves last week.Square pegs in square holes for me.
    Costello for me, he seems to have a better game at left centre than the other side has a positional understanding with Grace more than Makinson or Naiqama.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Most. Id rather hedge of a kid than a 5/10 player like Morgan who wont graduate beyond that. He is a Widnes quality signing at best.
    I don't think he gets a look in against our regular two, but Costello was completely out of his depth last week. A pity because I thought he started to improve last season. Bentley I have only seen play centre for Bradford and Batchelor I have never seen at centre. That's the reason I didn't think Morgan was a bad shout, but don't get me wrong I am not a Morgan fan.

Also, if he pulled a jersey like at Cas he wouldn't be around for the abuse the following week.

In The South Stand

Default Squad V Hull

From Woolf’s interview we might see Tommy, Amor, Knowles and Walmsley.

Different look to the side if true but still some big calls to make. If all fit I’d go:

Here's hoping:

1 Welsby
    2 Makinson
    3 Costello
    4 Naiqama
    5 Grace
    6 Lomax
    7 Fages
    8 Walmsley
    9 Bentley (difficult one, I prefer Smith but with three forwards coming back after knocks and against a big big side, Bentley offers more utility value, spelled at 9 with Knowles)
    10 Thompson
    11 Taia
    12 Peyroux
    13 LMS

14 Knowles
    15 Lees
    16 Amor
    16 Paulo

Come through unscathed and add Roby for the WCC and it might not be quite the thrashing I’m fearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling Al will not make it. No inside knowledge just by what KW said. (he has a chance). Amor for Al..
    I think Ashworth and Lees will be given a chance to show improvement. I like both, but last week Lees lost his head. Both Lees and Ashworth just need some inner discipline and to learn when and when not to be a grub. We sometimes are at fault comparing them to Tommo and Al which is unfair.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Glad to see Amor becoming available he does steady the ship down that middle and although we don't do a lot of offloads its Amor who always seems to get a few offloads away. If Al is available keep Lees in the 17 but drop Ashworth for a few games, if Paulo doesn't put in a good shift then perhaps look at giving Batchelor a short spell of games at centre and second row to see if can challenge for a 17 spot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Amor never lets us down and is a solid prop.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

I know this may sound a bit stupid, but why cant we have Lomax at fullback when we are defending and then play as he does when we are on attack, with Coote and Makinson both out Lomax is our best fullback available and as we saw on Thursday we need someone experienced back there, i like Welsby but currently he is a liability under a high ball.

Learning All The Songs

Thinking outside the box but didn’t Zeb play centre at Catalans? He is left sided so he’s used to Grace, he defends well and has vast experience. As we have more second row players available to fill in what would be a huge gap by doing this, that could possibly solve the problem short term. Win some but lose some! Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I know this may sound a bit stupid, but why cant we have Lomax at fullback when we are defending and then play as he does when we are on attack, with Coote and Makinson both out Lomax is our best fullback available and as we saw on Thursday we need someone experienced back there, i like Welsby but currently he is a liability under a high ball.
    Lomax's defence is some of the best in the league, I'd have him in the line at every opportunity in D, not a lot gets past J-lo.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Lomax's defence is some of the best in the league, I'd have him in the line at every opportunity in D, not a lot gets past J-lo.

I get what you are saying, but we cant give away repeat sets in good field position as we did against Warrington by knocking on kicks, Lomax is great in the defensive line but with Coote and Makinson out we need a solid fullback and Welsby currently is not that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I get what you are saying, but we cant give away repeat sets in good field position as we did against Warrington by knocking on kicks, Lomax is great in the defensive line but with Coote and Makinson out we need a solid fullback and Welsby currently is not that.
    Better to back the lad to catch them this week than shift the team around and in the process completely undermine his confidence.

He needs to have a better week under the high ball and I’m sure he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think he'll be a really good full back for us in time. I feel for him a bit because he seems to be another young player at the club who's been hyped up so much so early and it's probably put too much expectation on him. He's still very young, I've no doubt that he'll keep improving and the defensive side of his game will develop with experience I'm sure. It's arguably the most pressurised and difficult position on the pitch. I'm sure he'll fill in at centre and other positions during the year but with time and patience he'll be do a good job for us at 1 IMO. His decision making and support play are already really strong.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Thinking outside the box but didn’t Zeb play centre at Catalans? He is left sided so he’s used to Grace, he defends well and has vast experience. As we have more second row players available to fill in what would be a huge gap by doing this, that could possibly solve the problem short term. Win some but lose some! Just a thought!
    He may have done, some second rowers can make makeshift centres but i don't think that Zeb is mobile enough these days.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think he'll be a really good full back for us in time. I feel for him a bit because he seems to be another young player at the club who's been hyped up so much so early and it's probably put too much expectation on him. He's still very young, I've no doubt that he'll keep improving and the defensive side of his game will develop with experience I'm sure. It's arguably the most pressurised and difficult position on the pitch. I'm sure he'll fill in at centre and other positions during the year but with time and patience he'll be do a good job for us at 1 IMO. His decision making and support play are already really strong.
    I totally agree that Welsby is a top prospect but I've tended to find down the years that players are either good under a high ball or they aren't - it's not really something that gets fixed over time. Or at least, while it may seem to improve the problem will eventually rear its head again in a big game when the pressure is on.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I totally agree that Welsby is a top prospect but I've tended to find down the years that players are either good under a high ball or they aren't - it's not really something that gets fixed over time. Or at least, while it may seem to improve the problem will eventually rear its head again in a big game when the pressure is on.
    I think it can be improved with repetition and experience. He won’t have faced too many kicks of that quality in the academy. To what extent who knows but I do think he’ll improve.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Big ask this one, FC going for three in a row and at top of the league. I hope we can put on a show, but for me (and many others) we need to be ready for the Roosters. Woolf said we had no excuses against the Wire? But we really will need our best ready for the WCC.

COYS