Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad V Hull

Learning All The Songs

Default Squad V Hull

Do we forfeit this week and play our youngsters and get ready for the WCC??

I would as 2 pts mean nothing come playoffs.

Got A Season Ticket

Personally no I would play the best side available the WCC is a sad gimmick IMHO

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Very difficult one, damned if we do damned if we don't. The club over the past seasons have tried to operate on a week to week basis so I would put out the strongest team possible, Knowles and Amor should be OK this week and if we can get Roby on the bench then go for it. I think we need to be honest about it and trust the pack will step up this month like they have done before when Walmsley was out for the season. With losing Percival I don't think we can afford to put Naiqama on the wing and go with 2 inexperienced centres, don't think we can play Peyroux on the wrong side, maybe put Josh Simm in there.

Do we know when Makinson will actually return and hopefully Coote will have recovered for the WCC game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Personally no I would play the best side available the WCC is a sad gimmick IMHO

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    This. The aussies treat our game with utter contempt so why rub their egos a little more? I know we've got to play them now but I wouldn't risk anyone not 100% for a glorified friendly. Same goes for the Hull game though, don't risk anyone not 100% at this stage.

Learning All The Songs

we have suffered some hammerings in the WCC over the years and I can see another coming

In The South Stand

There’s a part of me that really wants to win the WCC. Yeah, I know it’s “not important”, “not taken seriously” etc but it’s a trophy and an opportunity to call yourselves the best side on the planet. That said, it’s all about Hull, for me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

I think both are unwinnable, but that's just me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think both are unwinnable, but that's just me.
    That's the negative Saddened! we know and love

I wouldn't rest anyone yet. We're three games into the season, players needs games not rest. One advantage we could have over the Roosters is being battle hardened by having a few games under our belts.

The big question is how many players will be back from injury this week and how many more have we got out? That's what may hold us back in the next two games. Hoping Makinson, Amor and Knowles will be back but can't see Roby, Coote, Walmsley or Percival playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Don’t rest anyone for either game - no brainer.

Resting players for the WCC would be so small time I can’t even begin to contemplate anyone ever advocating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Best available against Hull and best available against Roosters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Don’t rest anyone for either game - no brainer.

Resting players for the WCC would be so small time I can’t even begin to contemplate anyone ever advocating it.

Win/Win and we do away with it.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Do we forfeit this week and play our youngsters and get ready for the WCC??

I would as 2 pts mean nothing come playoffs.
    The obvious option to me is go out to win, if your in a commanding lead or have fallen 2 scores behind after h/t...pull off Thompson and Lomax then.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    The obvious option to me is go out to win, if your in a commanding lead or have fallen 2 scores behind after h/t...pull off Thompson and Lomax then.
    Play the same squad as against wire. Take the 2 point hit but get the young inexperienced lads battle hardened for future games.

Get the WCC out the way and start the season from then on with a fully fit, full strength team . I would love to see us win the WCC but circumstances are not ideal so a focus on getting the team back to full health is more important at this stage .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I think you must play to win in all games.You can just incur unnecessary injuries otherwise.
    Learned comment from The Don

This is crackers. 2 games in you are still building match fitness. Best team possible has to be the decision.

In The South Stand

Is there any injury update? Assume we’ll see Knowles, any chance of Makinson/Roby?

Assume Walmsley ruled out of WCC?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    we have suffered some hammerings in the WCC over the years and I can see another coming
    Don't worry Bury Saint. We will win. All part of the plan.

Erm...

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    This is crackers. 2 games in you are still building match fitness. Best team possible has to be the decision.
    Fitness in this sense meaning a full squad ‘ fit’ ( free of injury) all able to take to the field at the same time as apposed to the status quo .

My original post being ,play the same team at Hull whilst leaving out those who may be returning from injury or carrying a minor injury . That way ( hopefully) fielding a full strength team in the WCC perhaps lacking match fitness but gaining match fitness for the coming SL fixtures.

The WCC is something i would love us to win the the current unprecedented situation is simply bad luck and accept the fact we are likely to field a weakened team in the WCC . So , why not proceed to post WCC whereby , with a bit of luck , we will be in a position to field a fully fit injury free team thereafter

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I would hope Saints would respect Hull FC and field as strong a squad as possible

If the likes of Roby, Knowles and Amor are fit, get them on the pitch. I'm all for blooding the younger lads, but having them get beat every week isnt going to do them any favors in the long run.

In The South Stand

It was a mistake to bring back players for the challenge cup final who were not deemed fit enough to play any earlier games and get match fit. If players are ready to play against Hull they should play.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    It was a mistake to bring back players for the challenge cup final who were not deemed fit enough to play any earlier games and get match fit. If players are ready to play against Hull they should play.
    If a player isn't 99%...Wembley will always find them out.

Learning All The Songs

Saints have to put out the strongest side for Sunday, especially for the fan’s who will be making the journey. I would swap Welsby & Lomax though. As for the WCC id like to think we’ll make a nice profit from the game, but im not bothered whether we win or lose, but i don’t want us too get battered or suffer anymore injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    If a player isn't 99%...Wembley will always find them out.
    Or the ref

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Saints have to put out the strongest side for Sunday, especially for the fan’s who will be making the journey. I would swap Welsby & Lomax though. As for the WCC id like to think we’ll make a nice profit from the game, but im not bothered whether we win or lose, but i don’t want us too get battered or suffer anymore injuries.
    I was illogically confident. Having watched a fair bit of the Roosters on YouTube, they are fairly slick.

That Tedesco bloke seems like a half decent fullback

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    That's the negative Saddened! we know and love

I wouldn't rest anyone yet. We're three games into the season, players needs games not rest. One advantage we could have over the Roosters is being battle hardened by having a few games under our belts.

The big question is how many players will be back from injury this week and how many more have we got out? That's what may hold us back in the next two games. Hoping Makinson, Amor and Knowles will be back but can't see Roby, Coote, Walmsley or Percival playing.

Makinson and Knowles will definitely play against Hull, Coote’s a doubt for the WCC and is definitely missing this week, Roby and Walmsley are both possibilities for this week but WCC is more likely, Percival is out for two months and I haven’t heard anything on Amor. That’s what I’ve heard anyway. I think we’ve got a better chance than people think on Sunday, Hull will be without Ma’u, Satae and hopefully Ellis. I’d still have them as favourites but I’m not convinced they’re as good as some are making out.