Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recruitment

Starting A Programme Collection

Nothing's won in game two of the season - except 2 points and some local pride. Warrington have been on the end of that from us on plenty of occasions - so can't blame them for celebrating the win.

Mistakes cost us more than anything, secondly not being clinical with the few chances we created and i don't think we got the rub of the green from the refereeing decisions... that said, i don't think we would have managed to win last week - and wire good for their win.

All things considered missing so much quality from our regulars and a bad day at the office - the result wasn't a disaster and could have been worse than it was. Don't think it will have much bearing on the season - and a good learning opportunity for the team as a whole going forward. Some things to work on for the players and coaching staff. A little adversity can be good for building team spirit and focus. Good wake up call early in the season.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Its also a pretty deluded comment. I think you would find Saints made far more metres in the CC Cup final; the issues were we couldnt crack their line and the ball retention was poor.

To be honest, I hope we play them at full strength at our gaff. Their billy big balls talk is beginning to annoy me when Saints have bullied them for many years and theyve not won a League championship for 65 years.

A classless, attention seeking excuse of a team and their social media as bad. Really hope we lay into them at LP.
    Don't we play them at their place again first? Even better. There can be no repeat of Thursday performance and with a fully fit or as near as possible there won't be. Agree on them thinking they are more than what they are. Their fans have always irritated me but that said they are a good side and it wouldn't surprise me if they make the grand final. So long as we do too and put them on their arse then all will be good with the world.

In The South Stand

Maybe they’ve decided they can’t match us for talent so are trying to put us off our game.

Just need to get on with it like a proper club and ignore their small time digs for the nonsense it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    You’d have thought that they’d learnt their lesson after the CC final. Even so, whilst it might have been the case at Wembley, I think it’s a myth their pack battered us on Thursday. One Warrington forward made more than 100 metres and that was Akauola. Cooper who is apparently better than Thompson made an unimpressive 79 metres off of 14 carries. They were gifted field position for the entirety of the game as a result of penalties and dropped ball, not from doing anything impressive themselves. I wasn’t overly impressed by their attack near our line given how often they were near it.
    I don't think they were referring to their forwards carrying the ball in when they talk about taking it to our forwards. It's more their defence getting right in our faces, being aggressive, and consistently quick off the blocks in the defensive line.

This tactic very much worked a treat, both in the CCF and last Thursday.

I think they need a ref who isn't going to be too harsh on policing off-sides (Moor got them a few times, but could have given 20/30 penalties to us for them being persistently offside; Hicks at Wembley was in their pocket and didn't bother). But we were also dumb by playing too shallow. Their defenders are hitting our ball carrier at a greater pace & power than the ball carrier has been able to generate from 2 or 3 steps. If we're faced with those sort of tactics by the opposition, then we need to have a 'plan B' to counter it.

I'll also add that their backs seemed to make a lot of carries, too. It takes a chunk of workrate off their forwards, who can concentrate their stamina on defending with a quick defensive line speed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I don't think they were referring to their forwards carrying the ball in when they talk about taking it to our forwards. It's more their defence getting right in our faces, being aggressive, and consistently quick off the blocks in the defensive line.

This tactic very much worked a treat, both in the CCF and last Thursday.

I think they need a ref who isn't going to be too harsh on policing off-sides (Moor got them a few times, but could have given 20/30 penalties to us for them being persistently offside; Hicks at Wembley was in their pocket and didn't bother). But we were also dumb by playing too shallow. Their defenders are hitting our ball carrier at a greater pace & power than the ball carrier has been able to generate from 2 or 3 steps. If we're faced with those sort of tactics by the opposition, then we need to have a 'plan B' to counter it.

I'll also add that their backs seemed to make a lot of carries, too. It takes a chunk of workrate off their forwards, who can concentrate their stamina on defending with a quick defensive line speed.
    I'm not sure it did work in the CCF; we killed ourselves in the second half with stupid dropped ball and forced passes. The Warrington performance that day was built on excellent defence in their 20. We just struggled to crack it and Coote had a poor day. Last Thursday was also different because we had Bentley carrying on at hooker. I don't get some of the criticism of Bentley when he is clearly playing a position he shouldn't be. Its like slagging offMo Salah for having a bad game at centre back or Chris Woakes for getting out for a low score opening the batting.

I'm not convinced on Warrington; I think their backs are average and their forwards like to think they are better than they are, especially for a side that hasn't won a Championship for 65 years and counting. That said, I'll reiterate what I said earlier in the thread: the likes of Ashworth, Smith, Batchelor and any other fringe players need to show a lot more than what they have. They don't look players you'd say should be in a champion team IMO as they don't seem to be able to impose themselves on the game. Maybe harsh but fair.
    On the last point how often do Grace, Makinson and Percival go 1-2-3 from a kick. I think just about every time uses back sets early when in their own half with forwards taking it in later in the set. In fact were spells last season where we over played this IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'm not sure it did work in the CCF; we killed ourselves in the second half with stupid dropped ball and forced passes. The Warrington performance that day was built on excellent defence in their 20. We just struggled to crack it and Coote had a poor day. Last Thursday was also different because we had Bentley carrying on at hooker. I don't get some of the criticism of Bentley when he is clearly playing a position he shouldn't be. Its like slagging offMo Salah for having a bad game at centre back or Chris Woakes for getting out for a low score opening the batting.

I'm not convinced on Warrington; I think their backs are average and their forwards like to think they are better than they are, especially for a side that hasn't won a Championship for 65 years and counting. That said, I'll reiterate what I said earlier in the thread: the likes of Ashworth, Smith, Batchelor and any other fringe players need to show a lot more than what they have. They don't look players you'd say should be in a champion team IMO as they don't seem to be able to impose themselves on the game. Maybe harsh but fair.
    On the last point how often do Grace, Makinson and Percival go 1-2-3 from a kick. I think just about every time uses back sets early when in their own half with forwards taking it in later in the set. In fact were spells last season where we over played this IMO

WRT the CCF, I've not watched it back (can't myself ever doing so) but throughout the game, I just kept thinking 'we'll get going soon' but apart from a few inevitable occasions, our forwards just weren't making ground in the middle like they'd done to every other team (including Wire) during the season to give us the momentum we use to score and dominate. And the reason IMO was that Warrington played with a very quick defensive line speed to stop our forwards getting ahead of steam up.

Yes, we were also architects of our own downfall in certain areas, but I think it was their defensive line speed preventing our usual 'plan A' to get us on the front foot that led to us forcing passes and snatching at balls.

If my recollections are wrong, then I'll hold my hands up, but that's my memory of how the game panned out.