Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruitment

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    That's a good shout. I would go project rather than just cheap.

Wire done well with Matty Ashton.
    Saints approached him but only when Wilkin picked up the phone to Wellens.
    Bizarre - Don't we have scouts ?

No need to kneejerk and panic,[b] but perhaps a note that all the young guns[\b]
    are not going to waltz in and have things all their own way.

The only urgent action required is to wake up and realise that Bentley is not a 9.
    Again Wire picking up Danny Walker was good business.
    But there are not many young guns in the forwards are there outside of the couple who we know are class? Ashworth, Batchelor and Smith (to a lesser extent) should have shown much more to give us confidence they will help the club win trophies - they are not exactly 18 year olds.

Much of the pack is ageing: LMS, Roby, Peyroux, Taia, Amor. We could do with a young reserve coming through this year because I think Ashworth is a pudding.

Learning All The Songs

For the game at Hull next week id put Lomax at 1 and give Welsby a go at 6. It’ll be good to get Amor back in the side as well. Batchelor deserves and go from the bench as he hasn’t had many chances as of yet. I thought Costello at 4, and Naiqama on the wing was a good move, but sadly it didn’t work out that way so I’d swap them around.

Banned

I don't think Costello is worthy of the 19 he has had a few chances now and is not quite big enough to be effective on offense or defence and he lacks a yard of pace. Ashworth really needs a big game against a Hull or he could be resigned to A team RL when we have a fit squad. Bathelor yes your spot on give him a proper chance vice Walmsley.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I don't think Costello is worthy of the 19 he has had a few chances now and is not quite big enough to be effective on offense or defence and he lacks a yard of pace. Ashworth really needs a big game against a Hull or he could be resigned to A team RL when we have a fit squad. Bathelor yes your spot on give him a proper chance vice Walmsley.
    I think he deserves another go and im sure Kristian will give him another run out, i don’t think we have a choice anyway at the moment Cyprus with Percy now being injured.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I think he deserves another go and im sure Kristian will give him another run out, i don’t think we have a choice anyway at the moment Cyprus with Percy now being injured.
    We have 2 other centres in the first team squad don't we? Simm and Rizelli.

In The South Stand

Default Recruitment

When we get a few back in the next game the panic will die down a little.

We had six out and lost one mid-game. There isn’t really any squad management that could result in us not being seriously weakened in those circumstances.

It’s not just the numbers too but the quality. Three dream team members out in addition to what would probably be the best front row in SL in Walmsley/Roby/Amor.

It’ll be fine. Shame about timing with WCC around the corner (which is increasingly looking a write off) but I’ve no concerns about the ability of this squad to have a big run at the treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    When we get a few back in the next game the panic will die down a little.

We had six out and lost one mid-game. There isn’t really any squad management that could result in us not being seriously weakened in those circumstances.

It’s not just the numbers too but the quality. Three dream team members out in addition to what would probably be the best front row in SL in Walmsley/Roby/Amor.

It’ll be fine. Shame about timing with WCC around the corner (which is increasingly looking a write off) but I’ve no concerns about the ability of this squad to have a big run at the treble.

Squad is fine, but you've got to question Woolfe. Early days, but I fear we're going to take a massive step backwards, at least in the short term. His tactics seem drastically different to Justin's and he seems very naive. He played a gameplan against Warrington that could never work with the players we had.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Squad is fine, but you've got to question Woolfe. Early days, but I fear we're going to take a massive step backwards, at least in the short term. His tactics seem drastically different to Justin's and he seems very naive. He played a gameplan against Warrington that could never work with the players we had.
    I’m not sure I buy into any tactical issue in the wire game, unless you think his tactics were for us to drop the ball a lot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think Warrington know how to play us by going down the middle with a good kicking game and rely on our errors and indiscipline, we need to learn from that because Hull will play a similar game this weekend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think Warrington know how to play us by going down the middle with a good kicking game and rely on our errors and indiscipline, we need to learn from that because Hull will play a similar game this weekend.

The energy levels from Warrington were eye-popping. Yes, the ref played a skinny 10m (and most tackles they were in front anyway), but their defensive line-speed was incredible - and it was that which laid the platform for their CC win last year. In the CC final, they 'managed' their breaks well, with the phoney injuries to buy on-field recovery time and HIA's to give their big props a free breather. The much cooler conditions reduced the necessity for this time-wasting, but I'm still impressed with how their line speed was in our faces all game to stop any of our players having the time to build up speed, and causing us to rush passes.

From our perspective, the slow distribution from DH and lack of Roby's nouse obviously helped them implement this tactic, but we were also not really smart. In those situations, we should be lining up gradually a little deeper in order to make them run further. Yes we may initially lose a yard or two some tackles, but sapping their stamina should pay dividends later.

STIDDY & Webbo's posts sum it up perfectly. Warrington have a way to beat us

Noooobie

Thing is we could have been full strength and still lost the game. Warrington are a very good team with alot of quality and a coach who knows how to unsettle us at the best of times. No shame in losing the game at all, I honestly don't think when both sides are fully fit that there's alot between us to be honest. What does bother me is I believe we would have lost to some so called 'lesser' teams that night as well. The lack of depth, and I'm talking quality, is the big issue. I'm not one for bashing the replacements we had to promote because it was always going to be a big ask. Trouble is if we sustain injuries throughout the season we will lose to sides that on paper we should be putting away comfortably. It's far too early to start knocking the coach. As it stands he doesn't really know the team or the strengths and weaknesses and further he will still be trying to implement his own tactical brand on the side which will obviously be different to JH. I believe he'll be good for us in the long run and you can't discount his pedigree given what he has done with Tonga. He'll realise we need reinforcements for sure.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm far from worried at the moment, we've walked the league for the last couple of years and it gets you no further on come the play offs, we've ended up with the last six weeks off the regular season meaningless. Far too early to worry.

I thought exactly the same in the Salford game watching the constant, boring one-out, up-the-middle tactics. I’m sure we could have put nearly 50 against them had we tried to move the ball wider at some point.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

The following team lost away at London last year:

Welsby, Swift, Naquima, Percival, Grace, Fages, Richardson, Thompson, Roby, Lees, Peyroux, Paulo, Knowles. Subs: LMS, Amor, Ashworth, Costello.

I’m struggling to see why it’s more of a big deal that arguably a weaker team than that lost 19-0 away at Warrington in round 2.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I thought exactly the same in the Salford game watching the constant, boring one-out, up-the-middle tactics. I’m sure we could have put nearly 50 against them had we tried to move the ball wider at some point.
    That might need a winky emoji for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    The following team lost away at London last year:

Welsby, Swift, Naquima, Percival, Grace, Fages, Richardson, Thompson, Roby, Lees, Peyroux, Paulo, Knowles. Subs: LMS, Amor, Ashworth, Costello.

I’m struggling to see why it’s more of a big deal that arguably a weaker team than that lost 19-0 away at Warrington in round 2.
    It isn't. Disappointing last week but we move on. Don't think Wire are getting enough credit to be honest. I thought they completely outplayed us, outsmarted us and outmuscled us.

Already looking forward to another tough test on Sunday at Hull. I really fancy them to do well this season. Think they will win the cup

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The energy levels from Warrington were eye-popping. Yes, the ref played a skinny 10m (and most tackles they were in front anyway), but their defensive line-speed was incredible - and it was that which laid the platform for their CC win last year. In the CC final, they 'managed' their breaks well, with the phoney injuries to buy on-field recovery time and HIA's to give their big props a free breather. The much cooler conditions reduced the necessity for this time-wasting, but I'm still impressed with how their line speed was in our faces all game to stop any of our players having the time to build up speed, and causing us to rush passes.
    Every time we forced a dropout one of them seemed to go down with a sudden injury and Kendall stopped the game till they all got their breath back. This tactic renders the shot clock meaningless and, as there doesn't seem any way to prove the injuries aren't real, why aren't we doing it as well to get the obvious advantages?
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Banned

Wire and Price were desperate to beat us and we all get why look at their record against the big club from down the Road. Injuries didn't help, Alex being injured was the cherry on their cake. However 19-0 and we are a bit miffed. Think how Wire fans felt when their first 13 got beat 80-0 against the big boys who then picked up the Champions Trophy. We will be OK with a fit 13 the worry is the squad depth. One or two lads are not showing yearly progress example Costello V Swift. Ashworth to be the next LMS.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Every time we forced a dropout one of them seemed to go down with a sudden injury and Kendall stopped the game till they all got their breath back. This tactic renders the shot clock meaningless and, as there doesn't seem any way to prove the injuries aren't real, why aren't we doing it as well to get the obvious advantages?
    I suppose it's the difference between having integrity & having no scruples. When you haven't won in over 65 years you will go to any lengths. They employed the same tactic at Wembley.

Interesting comments from one of the Wire players about Saints forwards. From Mike Critchley's article on the St Helens Star website

"We knew what we could do if we took it to the Saints pack. It really set a platform for us.

"We did it in the Challenge Cup Final and we did it here.

"I don’t want to say too much but if we take it to them, they don’t really want it.

"They shy off and that’s what happened. They didn’t really want to carry the ball at us."

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Interesting comments from one of the Wire players about Saints forwards. From Mike Critchley's article on the St Helens Star website

"We knew what we could do if we took it to the Saints pack. It really set a platform for us.

"I don’t want to say too much but if we take it to them, they don’t really want it.

"They shy off and that’s what happened. They didn’t really want to carry the ball at us."
    Hope that's used as motivation going forward.

Learning All The Songs

You’d have thought that they’d learnt their lesson after the CC final. Even so, whilst it might have been the case at Wembley, I think it’s a myth their pack battered us on Thursday. One Warrington forward made more than 100 metres and that was Akauola. Cooper who is apparently better than Thompson made an unimpressive 79 metres off of 14 carries. They were gifted field position for the entirety of the game as a result of penalties and dropped ball, not from doing anything impressive themselves. I wasn’t overly impressed by their attack near our line given how often they were near it.

Team talk sorted for next time we play them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Team talk sorted for next time we play them.
    Its also a pretty deluded comment. I think you would find Saints made far more metres in the CC Cup final; the issues were we couldnt crack their line and the ball retention was poor.

To be honest, I hope we play them at full strength at our gaff. Their billy big balls talk is beginning to annoy me when Saints have bullied them for many years and theyve not won a League championship for 65 years.

A classless, attention seeking excuse of a team and their social media as bad. Really hope we lay into them at LP.