Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forward Pack Transition

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I was told last week that we have already signed him. But that's not from anyone at Saints, however from someone who would know.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sup...d9104dedea835d

Melbourne Storm linked with Mulhern, he may not have signed for anyone as yet.

We could do worse than Kane Evans who’s being linked with Cas.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind Fifita from Cronulla
    A real possibility from what I’ve heard

I'm sure the club have this sorted, and understand we need a big in-pact guy to replace Luke. I'm sure Matty will come through to support Alex eventually, but we do need a top experienced prop going forward ( no pun intended).

COYS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind Fifita from Cronulla
    There are a few Fifita's , you are referring to Andrew , 30 yrs old & 18 stone
    I heartily agree he is he is just what we need .

In The West Stand

I do feel like swapping Thompson and Amor/ Paulo for A Fifata and Mulhern is probably a slight net gain. Walmsley and Lees working alongside them is still quite a prospect and another year of LMS/ Ashworth whilst we find the next one off the production line covers injuries.

Bentley and Knowles should be nailed next year in backrower spots, but as much as I like Taia I think another years likely a year too far, and what we do about Peyroux is a puzzle to me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I do feel like swapping Thompson and Amor/ Paulo for A Fifata and Mulhern is probably a slight net gain. Walmsley and Lees working alongside them is still quite a prospect and another year of LMS/ Ashworth whilst we find the next one off the production line covers injuries.

Bentley and Knowles should be nailed next year in backrower spots, but as much as I like Taia I think another years likely a year too far, and what we do about Peyroux is a puzzle to me.
    I would dread coming up against a big pack with Bentley and Knowles in the SR. Knowles a very good 13 and Bentley probably our best utility player.

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    A real possibility from what I’ve heard
    Got another year on his contract hasn't he after this one?

Not dismissing it by the way by any means

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    There are a few Fifita's , you are referring to Andrew , 30 yrs old & 18 stone
    I heartily agree he is he is just what we need .
    He is on a big contract, I can't find details on the latest one but his 2014 contract was worth £400k a year and I would guess that his latest one is bigger.

Yes he is Tongan but he is signed up until 2022 and the Sharks have said they are not looking to offload, with rumours of him going to the Titans.

We need to manage our expectations, Kane Evans is more realistic.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    He is on a big contract, I can't find details on the latest one but his 2014 contract was worth £400k a year and I would guess that his latest one is bigger.

Yes he is Tongan but he is signed up until 2022 and the Sharks have said they are not looking to offload, with rumours of him going to the Titans.

We need to manage our expectations, Kane Evans is more realistic.
    I agree about expectations but I'd rather do without Kane Evans. He isn't a replacement for Thompson in any shape or form. I'd rather look for a young up and coming player over here than outcasts from the NRL thanks very much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I agree about expectations but I'd rather do without Kane Evans. He isn't a replacement for Thompson in any shape or form. I'd rather look for a young up and coming player over here than outcasts from the NRL thanks very much.
    Thing is, it's a project taking a young british player, we need someone to hit the ground running. I'm sure if there's anyone I'd want over here to replace him and I know nothing about this Kane Evans but he doesn't sound that good. It really is a huge job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Thing is, it's a project taking a young british player, we need someone to hit the ground running. I'm sure if there's anyone I'd want over here to replace him and I know nothing about this Kane Evans but he doesn't sound that good. It really is a huge job.
    I agree. The reality we have to confront is we won't replace Thompson with a like-for-like signing. Some people just see a big bloke in the NRL and think they can do a job; like 'if they play NRL then they must be good' but the reality is Evans track record is underwhelming. He's spent the last couple of years in and out of the first team, and was recently bemoaning that he didn't foresee having many years left in his body. Why anyone in the right mind would advocate this signing when we've been down a similar road with Perry is barmy.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I agree - sorry if mentioned elsewhere but is Liam Watts a possible candidate - still potential to unlock IMO and we have done well with Yorkshire forwards in recent times.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    I agree - sorry if mentioned elsewhere but is Liam Watts a possible candidate - still potential to unlock IMO and we have done well with Yorkshire forwards in recent times.
    He's probably as good as we have over here. How old is he?

Oliver Wilson is supposed to be rated very highly.
    Hudds paid £100K for him from Bradford.
    He is 19 and a monster.

If he plays tomorrow be interesting to see how he goes.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Depends what type of player you want as well, Thompson is pretty unique. I don’t think we’ll find a like for like replacement for him in the NRL because the game is so different over there. I’m not sure we’ll find a like for like anywhere to be honest.

Ashworth is a strange one for me, he’s got some really good attributes in terms of his acceleration and size but he still looks like a centre playing at prop to me, technically he’s still got some work to do. But, if Saints can fine tune his game a bit between now and the end of the season, we’ll have Walmsley, Lees, Ashworth and LMS who are all ‘run hard and straight type players’ and we might want to balance that up by signing more of a ball playing forward to offer something a bit different. If Ashworth doesn’t improve to that level then we’ll need someone who can offer more of an impact running wise.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

The more important question is how old is Stanley Gene?

Yes we are not going to "replace" Thompson, that is just not possible. You also can't get a player from the NRL that is at the top of his game, they are too expensive and if they are in the SOO picture they will never leave.

In they end, as the OP stated, we have multiple players to replace. Thompson/Amor/LMS/Peyroux/Taia could all theoretically leave at the end of the year. The first task is to re-sign a few of them to spread the blow over two years then find a good spread of players to replace them. A quality NRL player, a good UK based prospect and a Polynesian power house would be as good a spread as could be expected.

Another option would be to re-sign some our former players, there are a few floating about the league. Greenwood/Jones/Savelio/Ashurst/Dixon are all still about, some are better/more available than others but you feel that one of them on the correct contract could do a job for us.

OK I am going to throw this out here. He is a back rower so doesn't solve the Thompson/Amor problem but could be a good swap for Peyroux/LMS/Taia, what about Matt Whitley.

He is off contract at the end of the year and has been off the radar a bit so he won't demand a big money deal. He is a talented player that is probably under rated in the public's eyes at present. He could be a shrewd pick up.

OK I am going to throw this out here. He is a back rower so doesn't solve the Thompson/Amor problem but could be a good swap for Peyroux/LMS/Taia, what about Matt Whitley.

He is off contract at the end of the year and has been off the radar a bit so he won't demand a big money deal. He is a talented player that is probably under rated in the public's eyes at present. He could be a shrewd pick up.
    Yes. Thought the same myself. Can play both left and right.

He's a decent player, but we have Knowles at 5'11 Bentley at 5'9 I don't think we want another small forward.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sup...d9104dedea835d

We could do worse than Kane Evans who’s being linked with Cas.
    Have you actually seen Evans play the last couple of years - Been utter Garbage !
    Couldn't break his way out of a paper bag or tackle a hot dinner

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He's a decent player, but we have Knowles at 5'11 Bentley at 5'9 I don't think we want another small forward.
    How about Elliot Whitehead, off contract this year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Have you actually seen Evans play the last couple of years - Been utter Garbage !
    Couldn't break his way out of a paper bag or tackle a hot dinner
    He plays in the NRL. He must be good!
    Seriously though its not just the financial clout of the NRL clubs, its also the relative weakness of the pound that is weakening the position of SL clubs to sign quality imports. In the early 2000's the pound was trading at $3, its now about 1.9 and has been lower in the past, a big difference.

I'd rather us throw money into developing the game in the community and brining more Luke Thompson's through the junior setups than •••• it away on garbage like Kane Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    How about Elliot Whitehead, off contract this year?
    I would love to think so, but very much doubt it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

James Tamou?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.