Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forward Pack Transition

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Robbie Mulhern has a few highlights clips on YouTube. To be fair, he looks like a handful, gets his shoulders through the tackle and hits pretty hard in defence.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Robbie Mulhern had a very good season a couple of years ago however I think he has struggled since, I’m sure he was dropped from the Hull KR 17 at times last season.

If it was a one season wonder and he hasn’t got back to form I’d be underwhelmed if he was replacement for Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Robbie Mulhern had a very good season a couple of years ago however I think he has struggled since, I’m sure he was dropped from the Hull KR 17 at times last season.

If it was a one season wonder and he hasn’t got back to form I’d be underwhelmed if he was replacement for Thompson.
    This isn't unfair. I don't think he would be a bad signing but maybe not on big money.

Given the alternatives it is hard to pick a better domestic player, unless we are going to give Cas a transfer fee for Liam Watts.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    ‘At this stage’ tells you everything you need to know
    "At this stage" = "If HKR get relegated we may be"

I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    This isn't unfair. I don't think he would be a bad signing but maybe not on big money.

Given the alternatives it is hard to pick a better domestic player, unless we are going to give Cas a transfer fee for Liam Watts.
    If he's signing as a replacement for someone like Amor then I think he'd be more than useful. Think we'll need another good signing to replace Thompson.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I was told last week that we have already signed him. But that's not from anyone at Saints, however from someone who would know.
    JW, he would know.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If he's signing as a replacement for someone like Amor then I think he'd be more than useful. Think we'll need another good signing to replace Thompson.
    I wouldn’t mind Fifita from Cronulla
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

He does seem to be below expectations and hasn't really stood out in a positive light, I think he missed 8 tackles against the recent match with Leeds.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He does seem to be below expectations and hasn't really stood out in a positive light, I think he missed 8 tackles against the recent match with Leeds.
    Topped the missed tackles chart for the league last season with 113 (12 so far this year with three other Hull KR players in the top 10). Him and Matty Lees on the pitch at the same time in that regard would be the stuff of nightmares.

As an aside, Amor was in League Express today saying he wants to go again next season, whether that's with us or elsewhere. Wouldn't be adverse to him staying another year if he can keep up last year's form. 'Only' 32 and would do a job as fourth prop. Imagine he can probably get a two year deal somewhere else though

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Topped the missed tackles chart for the league last season with 113 (12 so far this year with three other Hull KR players in the top 10). Him and Matty Lees on the pitch at the same time in that regard would be the stuff of nightmares.

As an aside, Amor was in League Express today saying he wants to go again next season, whether that's with us or elsewhere. Wouldn't be adverse to him staying another year if he can keep up last year's form. 'Only' 32 and would do a job as fourth prop. Imagine he can probably get a two year deal somewhere else though
    He can’t even get in our team at the moment! A shame because I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    He can’t even get in our team at the moment! A shame because I like him.
    Are you being sarcastic or are you unaware that he’s been injured?

Banned

I prefer Amor to Ashworth. I don't know if I would give him another year though. The age profile of our pack needs to be brought down a tad. Zeb and Kyle I would let go at the end of the season and look for younger reinforcements.

I'd keep Kyle around, don't want to lose too many forwards in one go. Probably only a one year deal, maybe an option for a second in the clubs favour.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Thompson - big name signing
    Amor - mulhern
    Taia - new second row (love josh jones back)
    Paulo - bentley
    Id be happy if we could end up with the above

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Are you being sarcastic or are you unaware that he’s been injured?
    He was fully kitted out and doing the warm ups before the game on Sunday. I just assumed that he couldn’t force his way back in yet. I wasn’t being sarcastic at all. I would have him above Ashworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I prefer Amor to Ashworth. I don't know if I would give him another year though. The age profile of our pack needs to be brought down a tad. Zeb and Kyle I would let go at the end of the season and look for younger reinforcements.
    I would keep Zeb for another season he's still coming up with the goods with his metres, tackle busts, trys, we would miss him more than Amor. Don't think we can adjust to losing half a pack in 2021 the transition needs to be done gradually if we are considering Mulhern surely that's to replace Amor and not Thompson.

Ashworth is a problem for us because of his lack of consistency he just can't nail down a position because he doesn't use his size and weight.

I would keep Zeb for another season he's still coming up with the goods with his metres, tackle busts, trys, we would miss him more than Amor. Don't think we can adjust to losing half a pack in 2021 the transition needs to be done gradually if we are considering Mulhern surely that's to replace Amor and not Thompson.

Ashworth is a problem for us because of his lack of consistency he just can't nail down a position because he doesn't use his size and weight.
    Yeah, I’d try to keep hold of Taia for one more year and see if Bentley can squeeze him out of the side. We’ll be losing a lot of authority and experience from our pack if both Thompson and Amor leave, and Taia is still doing it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Exactly we have more than one player to replace over the next couple of years. Mulhern is a bit of a speculator, he could be solid but equally could be great.

Brad Singleton of Toronto is a player in the same bracket too. A player that was unlucky to come into a Leeds team in transition, with many Toronto Players you are not sure if the travelling will become too much and he may need a move. He is an average player that could be turned into a great player given a better environment.

I think that there needs to be some realism as to who we can replace Thompson with. Some fans seem to have the idea that Wolff is going to pull some Tongan out at some point who will we amazing but in reality we are looking at an out of favour NRL prop. Kane Evans, for example, is about as high profile as we can expect.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Yeah, I’d try to keep hold of Taia for one more year and see if Bentley can squeeze him out of the side. We’ll be losing a lot of authority and experience from our pack if both Thompson and Amor leave, and Taia is still doing it IMO.
    I’m a bit undecided about Tia. If we got good solid replacements I would be ok with both Amor and Tia being released. But it ain’t that easy. I’m ok with Bentley becoming our next centre. But agree we lose so much experience in Tia, but if his desire drops what then? As a fan it seems really easy to just say get shot of this player and bring in a better one. But in truth a lot of things have to align for that to happen.
    I think if you listen to Amors comments in the press I would think he thinks he is not going to be offered another contract. Also I’m not sure where the club are with Ashworth. I like him. I know he is raw and is developing a bit slower than I would like but I think coached right he will be ok.But it’s not me that’s making them decisions.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'd love Zeb to be capable of another season at the same standard, but I think we need to wait to see how he is going later in the season, He's been really good for us, but he is getting on, and tends to fade now and again. I think more so toward the end of the season before last.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I’m a bit undecided about Tia. If we got good solid replacements I would be ok with both Amor and Tia being released. But it ain’t that easy. I’m ok with Bentley becoming our next centre. But agree we lose so much experience in Tia, but if his desire drops what then? As a fan it seems really easy to just say get shot of this player and bring in a better one. But in truth a lot of things have to align for that to happen.
    I think if you listen to Amors comments in the press I would think he thinks he is not going to be offered another contract. Also I’m not sure where the club are with Ashworth. I like him. I know he is raw and is developing a bit slower than I would like but I think coached right he will be ok.But it’s not me that’s making them decisions.
    I think Zeb suffered the back end of the 2018 season when Holbrook stuck with more or less the same selection for months and he was regularly doing over 60 to 70 mins a game. For me the age factor doesn't come into it especially if we can get 40 minutes out of him in a similar way we want to do with Roby.

If we are going to lose Amor on top of Thompson and we struggle to sign like for like then our bench front row is looking poor, fortunately a lot of other teams are in the same boat, the goons are in that situation now with Clubb, Flower, Burgess, Isa and O'Loughlin on their last legs.

I think Zeb suffered the back end of the 2018 season when Holbrook stuck with more or less the same selection for months and he was regularly doing over 60 to 70 mins a game. For me the age factor doesn't come into it especially if we can get 40 minutes out of him in a similar way we want to do with Roby.

If we are going to lose Amor on top of Thompson and we struggle to sign like for like then our bench front row is looking poor, fortunately a lot of other teams are in the same boat, the goons are in that situation now with Clubb, Flower, Burgess, Isa and O'Loughlin on their last legs.
    I also think that people are very quick to jump to conclusions with an older player when they have a dip in form. The player could just be carrying a knock or just having an iffy spell, but because he's over 30 people tend to assume that the player is finished.

On your second point, yes that is fortunate in one sense, but it's unfortunate in another, as it means we're going to be competing with at least one other big club for whatever top forwards come onto the market.

Got A Season Ticket

I would see how Zeb is going at the back end of the season and if his form suggests he can go again and he wants to then give him another 12 months. If he’s looking jaded or doesn’t want to go again just say thanks for what you have given us since he has been here. I wouldn’t think he would look for another club so waiting shouldn’t be a problem.

He could also help with bringing on the next 2nd rowers within the club if he knows it is definitely his last season.

It would be amusing if we get Tai to play next season and we take a chance of signing Joe Greenwood next season who has lost the will to put in an effort at the Goons.

It would be amusing if we get Tai to play next season and we take a chance of signing Joe Greenwood next season who has lost the will to put in an effort at the Goons.
    No thanks.
    He had a couple of promising seasons for us then the season before he left us he was distinctly average and hasn’t shown any improvement at Wigan.

Wigan’s pack is a funny one, they must have a lot of cap tied up with the likes of O’Loughlin, Clubb, Flower, Burgess and they’re dump.

Can’t see us going down that route, Mulhern is a more proven forward than that one Wigan signed who couldn’t get in the team at Cas, he was loaned to Leigh can’t even think of his name. Hopefully we don’t sign an overweight NRL reject prop on marquee a la Burgess.