Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forward Pack Transition

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Just as vital IMO is a replacement for Taia. I've been told this is the last season for him and so, whilst he might look to be offering enough now, persuading him to go round another year (he'll be 37 during next season) risks us retaining a player in sharp decline who didn't want to be on the pitch anymore anyway. But again, there are no obvious replacements in SL who offer the rangey running and ball-handling ablity that Zeb brings.
    I think you go with Mike McMeeken if you're talking about a replacement from SL. He's still relatively young, has size and ball handling ability. Comparatively speaking he's not actually played that much RL so may still have room for improvement in his overall game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm still to be convinced regarding Bentley. Yes, he'll tackle all day - but I can't recall him busting tackles, or even getting his hands through (like Taia does). If we play him in Taia's channel, then we will have to significantly restructure our attack down that side. I know it's bad of me, but I can't help viewing Bentley as a 'poor man's Bateman'.

WRT to Fages at hooker, have people thought he might really not want to play hooker? We seemed to be going down this route a couple of years ago; his form dropped and rumours of unrest and not signing a new contract began to creep in. We've just had in succession two world-class hookers, probably the best two to have played SL. Unless we go out and splurge mega-money on the best in the NRL, we're going to notice a drop-off. I personally think Smith has good distribution & a decent rugby brain. His defence, at the moment, has some room for improvement, but he's not exactly a Benny Barba.

With Thompson going, we need a prop with that sort of muscle, to bend back the defensive line and be an enforcer. There's none on SL offering anything like his qualities, so we've got to look to the NRL and Woolf's contacts. And I don't think they'll come cheap.

Just as vital IMO is a replacement for Taia. I've been told this is the last season for him and so, whilst he might look to be offering enough now, persuading him to go round another year (he'll be 37 during next season) risks us retaining a player in sharp decline who didn't want to be on the pitch anymore anyway. But again, there are no obvious replacements in SL who offer the rangey running and ball-handling ablity that Zeb brings.
    Couldn't agree more. With regard to needing a prop, in addition to the qualities you mentioned, we also need the capability to do longer spells. We don't want another doing the short spells Mose did, though that may have been more to do with the coach than the player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think Bentley has a lot of good in his game although not at hooker. My fear is he and Morgan are similar in build and a bit on the small and light side to bein the same back row. We need some size bringing in and in my opinion ASAP. Alex is our only real big ruffian.
    I don't see Bentley as a first choice backrower, whereas Knowles has International written all over him.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 10th February 2020 at 20:44. Reason: spelling

Banned

Give Bentley time he is young but has a bit of the Batemans about him. Morgan Knowles yes pure RL class in the George Nicholls mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Give Bentley time he is young but has a bit of the Batemans about him. Morgan Knowles yes pure RL class in the George Nicholls mould.
    The only similarties between Bateman and Bentley are that their surnames begin with B and they both played for Bradford. Bentley is 23 years old, when Bateman was 23 (he is only 26) he was one of the best second rowers in the world.

Bentley, Batchelor really are at an age that they should be first team regulars in their chosen positions. I get that they haven't been at the club that long but I don't know why Saints are using lads in their mid 20s as future projects?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Fair play to you. Age wise I really thought Bentley was 20. I still think he has a future but at 23 it does up-risk the potential profile which is why Ashworth concerns me in his development.

Robbie Mulhern from HKR rumored in the trade press.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Mike Rush:

There is no interest from us at this stage. He’s a contracted player to Hull KR.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    been saying this for last 2 years

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Mike Rush:

There is no interest from us at this stage. He’s a contracted player to Hull KR.
    Hmmm.

Mike Rush:

Didn't he say the same about Tommy Lee
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

‘At this stage’ tells you everything you need to know

Learning All The Songs

Robbie Mulhern at Hull KR is being rumoured to be interesting St Helens

I was told last week that we have already signed him. But that's not from anyone at Saints, however from someone who would know.

Is this Thomo’s replacement?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Robbie Mulhern at Hull KR is being rumoured to be interesting St Helens
    Been saying id love him at saints for last 2 years

Wouldnt want him as thompsons replacement though id have him as amors replacement rather go for a big powerhouse name to replace thompson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I was told last week that we have already signed him. But that's not from anyone at Saints, however from someone who would know.
    What's your view on this if its true? Good signing? I've not seen many KR games if Im honest....

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Not seen enough of Mulhern to comment too much, but our recent track record of signing Hull KR players is not exactly encouraging.

I'll have to keep a closer eye on him whenever Hull KR are on TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Not seen enough of Mulhern to comment too much, but our recent track record of signing Hull KR players is not exactly encouraging.

He’s played for England Knights. Can’t say I’ve noticed him much.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    What's your view on this if its true? Good signing? I've not seen many KR games if Im honest....
    To be honest mate I've not seen enough of him. Been told he's solid enough and will do a job. I doubt he'd be Thompson's replacement, more of a squad addition. He's a good age for a forward though (25)

If he's on average money then it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Been saying id love him at saints for last 2 years

Wouldnt want him as thompsons replacement though id have him as amors replacement rather go for a big powerhouse name to replace thompson
    We’ll have a fair bit of cap to play with so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Mulhern plus another (possibly more high profile) prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Yeah that Wilkin was a duffer at 7 ��

It would be interesting to know how Travis Burns would have faired under Justin Holbrook. He wasnt the only player to look hopeless under KC, Peyroux being a prime example.
    Last edited by Div; 17th February 2020 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post

I would be interesting to know how Travis Burns would have faired under Justin Holbrook. He wasnt the only player to look hopeless under KC, Peyroux being a prime example.
    Bloody hell ... I'd completely forgotten about Travis Burns. I think I've managed to suppress much of the trauma of those years. To be fair, though, I was pleased when we signed Burns - he looked a good player at HKR. Maybe under different circumstances he would have done better.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post

I would be interesting to know how Travis Burns would have faired under Justin Holbrook. He wasnt the only player to look hopeless under KC, Peyroux being a prime example.
    Blobby may have been thinking more about the likes of Richard Beaumont and Adam Walker haha
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Blobby may have been thinking more about the likes of Richard Beaumont and Adam Walker haha
    Yeah, even Holbrook has his limitations eh?!