Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

Banned

Sounds a bit spiteful from the club to be honest and also sounds like Thommo wanted out and was advised how to get that. I get that to be honest, the UK is on it's arse and the clearly problems with the coach. Just because he comes from a wealthy family shouldn't mean he has to take a pay cut. He's under contract and we're now receiving a fee. I'm quite disappointed with the club to be honest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

What a very disappointing way for it to end. No comment from him, Mike Rush or Woolf. Just a bitchy comment from McManus about a pay drop.

There goes any chance of him coming back to us if and when he leaves the NRL!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I hope he does well in the NRL , even more so because I follow Canterbury (due to James Graham)

But the way this has ended, if it doesnt go well for him in the NRL I can just see another Greenwood situation where he comes back and goes to the piescum.

Learning All The Songs

It really leaves a bitter taste how this has ended, it has a look of Thompson doing whatever he can to get out of his contract and get to Canterbury as quickly as possible, but also the statement from the club is extremely poor, Thompson is under no obligation to accept a reduction, maybe the club thought that given how long he has been at the club he would have accepted a reduction to help the club out.

Given how the season is compromised and we are unsure of how and when it is likely to finish and Thompsons contract likely to be up before the end of the season whenever it would finish, maybe it is for the best that he go now and we take what we get for him.

I just hope the club announces a replacement in the next couple of weeks.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    More I think of this, the more I actually think it’s wrong from McManus rather than Thompson. His families wealth shouldn’t have a bearing on this.
    How is it wrong from McManus when the whole squad has been asked to take a pay cut?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    How is it wrong from McManus when the whole squad has been asked to take a pay cut?
    Wrong from him to air such dirty laundry in public.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    What a very disappointing way for it to end. No comment from him, Mike Rush or Woolf. Just a bitchy comment from McManus about a pay drop.

There goes any chance of him coming back to us if and when he leaves the NRL!
    He wouldn't come back anyway, why would he - and by the sounds of it, if McManus is still around he wouldn't consider it.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    He wouldn't come back anyway, why would he - and by the sounds of it, if McManus is still around he wouldn't consider it.
    That’s exactly my point. Because of how his exit has played out it looks unlikely we’d get him back.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Wrong from him to air such dirty laundry in public.
    Saints had to say something about why he is now leaving before the end of his contract. Telling the truth is a good starting point IMO.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That’s exactly my point. Because of how his exit has played out it looks unlikely we’d get him back.
    It’s sad whichever way you look at it. I agree his personal wealth has nothing to do with if he should or shouldn’t accept a pay cut. But I wonder if his decision would have been the same if he was staying? Plus as said before I think there might be other issues involved and I think maybe he saw an opportunity to instigate an early move. We are still not playing and may not even re start. Also believe the Saints camp is not that rosy at the moment so maybe he was just aligning the stars to his advantage.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Saints had to say something about why he is now leaving before the end of his contract. Telling the truth is a good starting point IMO.
    Yeah but something along the lines of 'Canterbury enquired as to an early release and Luke expressed a wish to join his new Club early. He leaves with our very best wishes in his new career' blah blah, would have looked eminently more professional than the usual McManus better than thou personalising it in public. He could have told him how disappointed he was in private, end of.

Looks like it all ended amicably

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Yeah but something along the lines of 'Canterbury enquired as to an early release and Luke expressed a wish to join his new Club early. He leaves with our very best wishes in his new career' blah blah, would have looked eminently more professional than the usual McManus better than thou personalising it in public. He could have told him how disappointed he was in private, end of.
    I can't really make my mind up one way or the other to be honest. No one will agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    It's a tough one isn't it? If the club had said as you suggest then fans would be on their back asking why we let our best forward go when the season hasn't finished, do we have no ambition etc. However, the way it's been done means we are annoyed at Thommo for forcing the issue and annoyed at the club for telling us! I don't think there was a way to do it that would satisfy player, club and fans to be honest. Once Thommo expressed his desire to leave early it was never going to end satisfactorily.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

In The South Stand

With Super League’s resumption undecided and the possibility of Luke not playing a game for Saints for, at the earliest, five months and with his contract ending before the new ending of the Super League season, it was decided to release Luke early, with a fee arranged with Canterbury.

We wish Luke best etc etc.

I’ve done that off the top of my head. It’s not hard. No need to air dirty laundry, IMO.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

I must say I'm surprised McManus is getting such a hard time on this. I criticised the direction of the club around the days of Potter but the club moved forward significantly; generally with the moral compass pointing North. I'm proud of my club.
    The bottom line here is no one comes out with much dignity. I've a feeling the club are disappointed that Thompson has leveraged the current situation to get to Canterbury, especially when the wage cuts kicked in. Ethically its defendable but morally its questionable at best and I respect someone more for being clear than peddling bullshit 'about all the best.' No doubt the same people hammering McManus would be demanding reasons for why Thompson had gone had it not been explained. Its disappointing to all end in this manner but that's life and there are few winners around given the pressures we are all experiencing.
    Its also fanciful to suggest Thompson will return. He's 25 at the moment and is likely to be over 30 before he ever comes back here if at all.

Had heard that it’s not just that issue. Not sure Tommo was too happy with new coach as well.
    This is what's concerning me the most. That dross at Cas, with Thompson being one of the main culprits has got me worried about the mood on the playing side.

That said, tremendous prop & a great stint at Saints. He will do well in the NRL

Banned

No they didn't. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain what's gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No they didn't. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain what's gone on.
    So what’s gone on?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I can't really make my mind up one way or the other to be honest. No one will agree on it.
    And that's exactly the point Ralph. Its lose-lose for everyone associated with Saints, including Thompson. There doesn't always have to be a black and white answer which is why I'm surprised people are digging out McManus on this when the some of the stuff that's gone one will be morally questionable to many people.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Looks like it all ended amicably
    Poor decision by the club to make such a statement. What has not accepting a pay cut got to do with it, he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. They are trying to blame Thompson for wanting to go early but Saints get a transfer fee for him so can’t see the problem.

I think there’s problems behind the scenes, maybe the new coach not getting on with the players rumour is true and Thompson wanted out ASAP.

Like others have said, Thompson won’t be coming back to Saints after that club statement

Let’s see who the club can bring in as a replacement, I think Watts would be ideal

I would like to wish Thompson all the best at his new club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I must say I'm surprised McManus is getting a hard time on this. I criticised the direction of the club around the days of Potter but the club moved forward significantly; generally with the moral compass pointing North. I'm proud of my club.
    The bottom line here is no one comes out with much dignity. I've a feeling the club are disappointed that Thompson has leveraged the current situation to get to Canterbury, especially when the wage cuts kicked in. Ethically its defendable but morally its questionable at best and I respect someone more for being clear than peddling bullshit 'about all the best.' No doubt the same people hammering McManus would be demanding reasons for why Thompson had gone had it not been explained. Its disappointing to all end in this manner but that's life and there are few winners around given the pressures we are all experiencing.
    Its also fanciful to suggest Thompson will return. He's 25 at the moment and is likely to be over 30 before he ever comes back here if at all.
    I agree with this Thompson held all the aces. Fair play to him, it's a short career, and saints make some money in a difficult time, know he'll be gone in all likelihood by the playoffs.

Wasn't there backlash at the club when we released greenwood (although clearly we got the better deal in Taia with hindsight), maybe the club wanted to make it clear we where left with no option.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Realistically, how many games would he have played this season anyway? As things stand contract wise, I think I’m right in saying that he wouldn’t have been involved in the play-offs anyway (should we get there) and the club get a fee which they wouldn’t have done otherwise.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    Poor decision by the club to make such a statement. What has not accepting a pay cut got to do with it, he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. They are trying to blame Thompson for wanting to go early but Saints get a transfer fee for him so can’t see the problem.

I think there’s problems behind the scenes, maybe the new coach not getting on with the players rumour is true and Thompson wanted out ASAP.

Like others have said, Thompson won’t be coming back to Saints after that club statement

Let’s see who the club can bring in as a replacement, I think Watts would be ideal

I would like to wish Thompson all the best at his new club
    I'd love to get Watts but he has over 2 years left on his contract at Cas. I can't see them letting him go other than for an enormous sum

Learning All The Songs

It’s sad whichever way you look at it. I agree his personal wealth has nothing to do with if he should or shouldn’t accept a pay cut. But I wonder if his decision would have been the same if he was staying? Plus as said before I think there might be other issues involved and I think maybe he saw an opportunity to instigate an early move. We are still not playing and may not even re start. Also believe the Saints camp is not that rosy at the moment so maybe he was just aligning the stars to his advantage.
    Of course it does. There’s obviously a lot of uncertainty for the club and they haven’t brought in pay cuts for the sake of it. As someone who is in a far more financially stable position than most (and having been at the club as long as he has) he should be looking to help the club out and do the decent thing, particularly when it’s likely there’s players on less money than him who will have agreed. It’s poor form and stinks of him trying to force his way out early. Baffled by some of the takes on here and why people are defending Thompson I don’t know.