Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

Massive signing for the Bulldogs, terrible loss to Saints when he leaves. There are not many that can equal this lad, so it's no surprise that Luke is going to the NRL.

I wish him well for when he goes but know he'll keep being above his peers for Saints this season.

Learning All The Songs

who will be on the shopping list to replace him?

Really poor not to receive a fee bearing in mind his age, status and current market value. Why could he not have signed a new deal and still gone? At least we would have received a decent fee. Basically he's ran his contract down and gone. Someone at the club has messed up or he has gone back on a promise. We label Wigan a selling club but at least they get good transfer fees. I've no issues with him testing himself in a superior comp and can see the attraction but we've invested more than 10 years in him and now get nothing when he leaves.

I also know that Warrington were after him so I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for them if and when he comes back. They were offering him silly money.

Banned

Good luck to the lad. Obviously wants to test himself in the NRL. With luck, he goes for 2/3 years and it's scratched an itch, with him then returning here. From a family of big Saints fans, and he grew up one so unless we play the idiot with him should he return, then I don't see him signing for another SL club.

Starting A Programme Collection

He will be difficult to replace, he is all action and can play long minutes. The problem with the south Sea islanders is their lack of stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Really poor not to receive a fee bearing in mind his age, status and current market value. Why could he not have signed a new deal and still gone? At least we would have received a decent fee. Basically he's ran his contract down and gone. Someone at the club has messed up or he has gone back on a promise. We label Wigan a selling club but at least they get good transfer fees. I've no issues with him testing himself in a superior comp and can see the attraction but we've invested more than 10 years in him and now get nothing when he leaves.

I also know that Warrington were after him so I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for them if and when he comes back. They were offering him silly money.

Or have we done a back door deal with him?

Leave with our blessing based on a return should he decide to come back in a couple of years?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. Gutted but he goes with my best wishes. At least we have a full season of him here and a replacement to be found.

I can't wait to hear what "hilarious" song Warrington come up with.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Or have we done a back door deal with him?

Leave with our blessing based on a return should he decide to come back in a couple of years?
    Yes I hope so, in the meantime all the best to him in his last season here and his future at Canterbury Bulldogs. My gut feeling is that he might fall short of the impact Jammer had on the NRL, I should imagine McManus has already got something drafted up if decides to return back to the UK.

In The South Stand

Awful news but I wish him well. Sadly, I think he’ll shine in the NRL. He’s just too good to do otherwise. With a bit of luck he might find the heat oppressive, get homesick and come home.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Awful news but I wish him well. Sadly, I think he’ll shine in the NRL. He’s just too good to do otherwise. With a bit of luck he might find the heat oppressive, get homesick and come home.
    we hoped that about Jammer but it never came to pass

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    we hoped that about Jammer but it never came to pass
    The Australian climate & lifestyle isn't for everyone. He might get homesick (does he have a partner? if so, are they planning a family?). He might just want to do one stint out there then return.

I'm just surprised he's gone for Canterbury, when I'd have thought there'd be more top-tier clubs wanting him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

While I wish Luke the best of luck, it just seems wrong that we have developed him from 11 years old and get no compensation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    While I wish Luke the best of luck, it just seems wrong that we have developed him from 11 years old and get no compensation.
    Blame Mr Bosman

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Gutted to be losing Thomo but hope he goes well down under. He’s capable of ripping it up. I just hope Lees and Ashworth continue to develop well. Hopefully we don’t sign a pudding to replace him like when we brought in Perry for Graham.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Gutted to be losing Thomo but hope he goes well down under. He’s capable of ripping it up. I just hope Lees and Ashworth continue to develop well. Hopefully we don’t sign a pudding to replace him like when we brought in Perry for Graham.
    Exactly... Come on Woolf, work that Tongan magic of yours and persuade Taumalolo to come over

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Get Dave Fafita in

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Ashworth was nowhere near good enough last year, him and Paulo were the only two players who were well below average. I’d either play him at second row to give Taia a rest as the season goes on, or not at all. We’re probably going to have to go looking to the NRL for a Thompson replacement because we haven’t got anyone anywhere near his level and there’s no one in SL good enough either. Whoever we sign will probably be a downgrade but hopefully not too much. I think Amor’s contract expires at the end of the season as well, so we might need two.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Ashworth was nowhere near good enough last year, him and Paulo were the only two players who were well below average. I’d either play him at second row to give Taia a rest as the season goes on, or not at all. We’re probably going to have to go looking to the NRL for a Thompson replacement because we haven’t got anyone anywhere near his level and there’s no one in SL good enough either. Whoever we sign will probably be a downgrade but hopefully not too much. I think Amor’s contract expires at the end of the season as well, so we might need two.
    Ashworth was quiet but solid last year often being put in at LF and given less minutes than Lees.

Ashworth and Lees as a pair are vital cog in the overall effectiveness of Walmsley and Thompson.
    I think we will see this more this season, the Kamikaze twins in tandem.

Not getting a fee for Thompson is the way it is. If Saints wanted a fee then they could have cashed in this year
    or last. They didn't and there is no guarantee he will come back to Saints.

Like some others the worry is that the need for a big name , takes Saints down the Perry route.

Saints have the best balanced 4 matchday props in the league.
    Three through the youth system and one from the championship.

Given the number of NRL prop flops there is something in that.

Two props will be needed (Amor/Thompson) , a rough diamond Tongan and Walmsley Mk2
    would be ideal.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Begs the question how the hell can they offer him silly money within the cap? Surely Austin and Widdop are marquees and they’ll have other high earners with the likes of Clark, so it beggars belief that nobody is scrutinising what that Club are ‘actually’ spending.

Learning All The Songs

Are there no decent props over here whose contracts are up at the end of the season to replace Thompson. The club has got a lot of wheeling & dealing to do come the end of the season with players leaving and i suspect retiring.

Banned

Despite his recent injury record i feel the only other prop in super league i would like to replace thompson with is fifita from wakefield. Failing that i would enquire about cooper from warrington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Despite his recent injury record i feel the only other prop in super league i would like to replace thompson with is fifita from wakefield. Failing that i would enquire about cooper from warrington
    Watts isn't bad, but wouldn't offer the same dynamic impact-running of Thompson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Blame Mr Bosman
    Leave the Belgians alone.

Banned

Five years ago Richards and Thompson played off the bench and not much in them strange how it ended. One off to Aus the other in Whitehaven. LMS. Taia Thompson Amor all off next season, it will take some planning for 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Five years ago Richards and Thompson played off the bench and not much in them strange how it ended. One off to Aus the other in Whitehaven. LMS. Taia Thompson Amor all off next season, it will take some planning for 21.
    I suspect LMS will get another year if he stays fit and on form and sign off at the WCup.

It will be interesting to see if the Titans come in for Knowles.