Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Hello everyone.
    Why has he refused to take a pay cut? He’s rich isn’t he?
    What a year! 2020 should have been the start of a dynasty building on last years success. Turd performances, Covid, now Thompson. What a s*** show. Roll on 2021
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Players come and go.We all knew Luke wanted to go to Aus and good luck to him and thanks.I have no issue with the Chairman telling the fans the club's position though.
    I agree, people moaned last year about the lack of information coming out of the club re Holbrook, now they are moaning that the club has given information they don’t like about Thompson, sometimes you just cant win.

Learning All The Songs

Liam Watts as his replacement for me? Who would you have?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I agree with that he's about the best prop in SL after Walmsley & Tommo. A bit of angry in him also which we lack.

Can't see it happening though but would be a bold move to offer what we got for Tommo for him.

Learning All The Songs

Two years left on his contract, though.

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Two years left on his contract, though.
    Exactly. We haven't got a prayer of signing him at the moment

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It does demonstrate how incredibly badly this government has handled this pandemic.

Refused to put in controls at airports/ports for arrivals into the UK; refused to ban mass gatherings (indeed Bozo pigheadedly went to watch the rugger at Twickers when most of Europe was already locking down); delayed implementing lockdown measures. Sent Covid-infected pensioners back into care homes without installing any special measures or ensuring adequate PPE.

All this was done to try to minimise the economic impact, yet we're now in the position of having the highest number of deaths in Europe (the second highest per-capita deaths in the world) and with the biggest economic downturn in Europe.

It's especially annoying because we could have learned the lessons from Italy, where the pandemic had taken off 2/3 weeks before ours. Yet a combination of incompetence and hubris from the arrogant idiots in government has led us to this.

If we'd have taken the right measures at the right time, we too might have our rugby back up and running by now and Thompson being ready to turn out in the red vee until the end of the season.
    Your constant political spoutings don't half get boring pal, but blaming the government for Thompson going to Aus early really does take the biscuit!!!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Watts is 30 next month, I’m not sure I’d spend money in the shape of a transfer fee on a 30 year old.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Shane Webcke.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I agree with that he's about the best prop in SL after Walmsley & Tommo. A bit of angry in him also which we lack.

Can't see it happening though but would be a bold move to offer what we got for Tommo for him.
    Agree, he’d be great but I imagine Cas would want stupid money. Only way it happens is if they’re desperate. Apart from him I don’t think there’s anyone in Super League who’s both good enough and realistic so I’d be more than happy with Tamou from Penrith. On an unrelated note, Kevin Proctor is being offered to SL clubs. Wouldn’t shock me if we went for him to replace Taia or Peyroux, if one of them leaves.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Watts is 30 next month, I’m not sure I’d spend money in the shape of a transfer fee on a 30 year old.
    Blimey, you mean we might only get 4 years out of him? I think he looks alright at Cas to be honest, he didn’t look too bad when we played them the other month.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Noooobie

My view is Thompson has gone for several reasons.
    1. Loads more money. Reasonable excuse.
    2. Lifestyle in Aus. Reasonable excuse.
    3. Future at Saints. Disappointing start to season, can Tommy see a downturn in performances.
    4. New coach. Personality doesn’t mix with Tommy.
    5. New coach. Tommy doesn’t like new strategy ie. the wrestle in the tackle. Less open attacking play.
    6. For all we know other players are not happy with Wolfe and looking to leave in time.
    7. Bearing in mind no.6. Is the camp upset in general.
    All in all plenty of reasons for our best player to want to leave.
    All does not seem well at Saints. Is it backlash from happy Holbrook days. Good luck Tommy. Just don’t go to Wigan when you come back!

Noooobie

Tommo.......predictive text!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus saint View Post
    My view is Thompson has gone for several reasons.
    1. Loads more money. Reasonable excuse.
    2. Lifestyle in Aus. Reasonable excuse.
    3. Future at Saints. Disappointing start to season, can Tommy see a downturn in performances.
    4. New coach. Personality doesn’t mix with Tommy.
    5. New coach. Tommy doesn’t like new strategy ie. the wrestle in the tackle. Less open attacking play.
    6. For all we know other players are not happy with Wolfe and looking to leave in time.
    7. Bearing in mind no.6. Is the camp upset in general.
    All in all plenty of reasons for our best player to want to leave.
    All does not seem well at Saints. Is it backlash from happy Holbrook days. Good luck Tommy. Just don’t go to Wigan when you come back!
    He won’t come back any time soon, if he does ever play SL again he will be James Graham’s age range

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Blimey, you mean we might only get 4 years out of him? I think he looks alright at Cas to be honest, he didn’t look too bad when we played them the other month.
    4 years?!
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    4 years?!
    I think Watts has a good 4 seasons in him. He’s not exactly close to retiring. Why wouldn’t you pay transfer fee for him?
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Over the years on here, the club has been criticised for being 'too soft'. We let Wigan bully us for years. Too soft. We put out a dignified statement highlighting the need to consider Ben Flower's wellbeing when he attacked an unconscious man. Too soft. We didn't go after big players. Too soft.

If Thompson left mid-season with little explanation, it would have been another time the club would have been accused of being too soft and letting someone rise roughshod over us.

I do not see that McManus had any option but to provide some form of explanation. I am not too sure whether it is right to discuss personal pay arrangements, but understand why he did. Contrary to some comments on here, McManus' statement is simply a factual account of what happened and there is no direct criticism of Thompson in it.

If Thompson was the only player not to agree a wage cut (which we do not know), then it may have led to disquiet in the club and amongst the players that we could have done without. Based on what is in the public domain, I agree that it is in both parties interests that he leaves now.

A big opportunity now for Lees to claim a starting spot, but also there is a need for a new prop forward or maybe even two for next season. If we can use the transfer money towards that, then great.

[QUOTE=Ralph Fridge;792129]
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Of course it does. There’s obviously a lot of uncertainty for the club and they haven’t brought in pay cuts for the sake of it. As someone who is in a far more financially stable position than most (and having been at the club as long as he has) he should be looking to help the club out and do the decent thing, particularly when it’s likely there’s players on less money than him who will have agreed. It’s poor form and stinks of him trying to force his way out early. Baffled by some of the takes on here and why people are defending Thompson I don’t know.[/Q

I see your point about the refusal of a pay cut. Could be seen as an early move was engineered from Thompson's side
    Completely agree, no doubt engineered by his manager so he can take a cut of the transfer fee, yet another player who after signing for another club or code spouts about giving his best for the rest of the season but then doesnt give one hundred percent, if he was the only player who refused to help the club out, if they have a secret goodbye party, I hope his team mates give him the ideal leaving gift, thirty pieces of silver. Initially I wished him all the best in his new career, but now my opinion of him has changed completely

I'm of the school of thought that the statement from the club was unnecessarily stroppy. Thompson may not have accepted a paycut but he's under no obligation to, regardless of how rich his family may be.

It does seem possible/likely that this has been used by Thompson and his agent as a way of getting an early move, and that may have got McManus's back up, but I just don't think it needed bringing up in the official response.

I guess we'll see now how seriously the club is taking this truncated season. My guess is that they're not going to take it all that seriously at all, that this is one of the reasons we've released Thompson early, and that we won't sign a replacement until 2021.

As for the discussion of Watts - if we could get him he'd be the best possible UK-based replacement. 30 isn't old for a prop, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    Why has he refused to take a pay cut? He’s rich isn’t he?
    What a year! 2020 should have been the start of a dynasty building on last years success. Turd performances, Covid, now Thompson. What a s*** show. Roll on 2021
    What is him (well, his family) being rich anything to do with why he should take a pay cut? He's agreed terms on a contract to do a job, and a f-ing hard job at that, so why should he put his body on line for less money than what he agreed he would be paid?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Your constant political spoutings don't half get boring pal, but blaming the government for Thompson going to Aus early really does take the biscuit!!!
    Just tying the threads together. You can always ignore, you know... stick your head in the sand and be in denial.

Er ...to,stop the club going bust and throwing everyone out of a job, if all the other players, many who are on far less money understand the position, I cannot for the life of me understand Thompson, especially as he's about to start a multi million pound contract, a little bit of loyalty by playing out the rest of a slightly reduced contract for the club that nurtured him and gave him the opportunity to realise that ambition wouldnt be amiss

Not sure what's about and available.
    Watts strikes me as bit old.
    Matty English from Huddersfield if he could be made a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Not sure what's about and available.
    Watts strikes me as bit old.
    Matty English from Huddersfield if he could be made a possibility?
    To be honest, I don’t rate many, if any, props in SL outside Walmesley and Thomson. I would rather us put up with what we’ve got for 2020 and recruit a top class prop from the NRL - something I’m sure the club are in the process of doing and also maybe investing in a promising, SL youngster to nurture and develop for the future.

Banned

WOW its all gone a bit pear shaped here. Thompson through his family also sponsor Saints so the fall out has got personal here which is the fault of both parties normally.

Now the playing side. We lost Cliff Watson and survived and we lost James Graham and survived so Luke Thompson is minor in comparison. The bigger picture for me is that we are losing players as a game to Aus and our conveyer belt is drying up a bit!

What I will say about the club in recent years is we don't seem to kick on in successive seasons as we used to do. 2 Grand final wins since 2010 and no CC wins, even accounting for our success in the LLS isn't really anything to write home about. The club needs to back Woolfe after all of this, we cant have another waiting for Langtree period and how that just seemed to plod on year after year until Holbrook.