Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’m probably in the “a bit concerned but not panicking” camp at the minute. I’ve not been overly impressed with anything I’ve seen from us this season apart from the opening game and the Sydney game. I don’t like all the faffing about at the play the ball and the obsession with the “wrestle.” I posted some stats earlier in the season which showed we were giving more penalties away as a result.

However, as far as the attack is concerned we have to accept there’s some mitigation in terms of the players we’ve had missing. I think I’m right in saying we haven’t had a full 17 yet this season and we’ve had anywhere between 3 and 6 players missing most weeks.

So yes I’m a bit concerned at the slow start and the poor results but I’m not overly worried (yet).

Edit: Just found my post after the Huddersfield game, #54 in this thread. I stand by everything I’ve said there at the moment:

http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....ht=#post787792
    Pretty much sums it up, but I'm hoping we look different when we restart

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Quote from the article:

They were asking us to take salary cuts and I was saying 'I can go there, so I don't really want to take a cut and I can help you that way'. They were saying 'We want to keep you, but we can't afford to pay your full [salary] and cut everyone else', which is totally understandable.

"If I'd have been in the same situation as everyone else, I'd have been more than happy to take the pay cuts, but my situation was a little bit different and that's the reason they had to release me in the end because obviously they couldn't pay me full and not everyone else, which I wouldn't expect them to."

Personally it looks like he’s admitting that he’s used the current situation to engineer an early move.
    He also says in the interview that he wanted to get back on the pitch ASAP and that with NRL being back and still no definite date for Superleague to return, plus the club getting a fee and releasing him from his contract (bear in mind that the club could potentially use that money to Top up the cut wages for the staff at the club?) who can blame him, really?

In my opinion the club should have wished him well and whilst I admire McM being forthright he had once again portrayed himself as petulant to non-Saints in the game. I got a text of a WIGAN fan friend the other day saying “Your chairman is at it again” referencing last seasons CCfinal fallout.

There was no need to bag Thommo.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Ok, thanks for that.
    You forgot to add "& apologies for negatively speculating about something that I know absolutely nothing about......"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    He also says in the interview that he wanted to get back on the pitch ASAP and that with NRL being back and still no definite date for Superleague to return, plus the club getting a fee and releasing him from his contract (bear in mind that the club could potentially use that money to Top up the cut wages for the staff at the club?) who can blame him, really?

In my opinion the club should have wished him well and whilst I admire McM being forthright he had once again portrayed himself as petulant to non-Saints in the game. I got a text of a WIGAN fan friend the other day saying “Your chairman is at it again” referencing last seasons CCfinal fallout.

That's it in a nutshell for me. Hope you told your mate what to do, they can't be taking the high moral ground with anyone and at least McManus has the balls to say what he feels, even if he doesn't always get it right.

Learning All The Songs

Sorry, but you cannot blame Thompson. Who knows when and if the season will even continue and finish? He knew he was off in November, by which point we could still be in the middle of the season. As much as I hate to lose him, I won't lose sleep over it. Exceptional times at present.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Sorry, but you cannot blame Thompson. Who knows when and if the season will even continue and finish? He knew he was off in November, by which point we could still be in the middle of the season. As much as I hate to lose him, I won't lose sleep over it. Exceptional times at present.

I think during such unprecedented times of crisis, there's a basic expectation that people make a few small sacrifices. I don't think Thompson refused to accept a temporary pay cut out of greed, but he has used the situation to engineer an early release. That doesn't sit entirely comfortably.

We must of course look after our own interests, but if we all do it to detriment of others and act on a purely selfish basis, then we'll be in a sorry societal state.

But, like you, I'm not going to hold anything against him. It's annoying we'll lose him for the bulk of this season, but we knew he was going later this year anyway and this season is a dog's breakfast now anyway. I'd be delighted to welcome him back here if/when he decides to come back from Oz.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't disagree with either of your points but either way, it's still tactical. IMO Woolfe made a mistake with his tactics and has been criticized as such.
    Yeah that's fair enough,Knowles at centre was an odd on and the fannying around we do at the ruck now is dire.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Thompson will do really well over in Aus , he has the perfect 'physique' of the aussie forward , his strength , pace and leg drive will put him right up there with the best as long as they use him right - see Justin Holbrook , good luck to the lad just that little bit disappointing the way he chose to leave , let's have 12 months out of the best prop we have ever produced, a certain Mr James Graham , still up to it no question , throw him what we received for Thompson he will do a great job .
    Wasnt too far out was I?.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nonsense, that doesn't stop players shifting the ball wide, tactics do. The same as tactics that decide to play a LF at centre.
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Bullshit, bull-shit, bull....shit.
    Thompson knew exactly what he was doing. The reasons above are sophistry at its best and those who put feeling over fact tend to fall for it.

I’ve aready made the point that though Thompson’s position is defendable ethically it was morally questionable. At a local level there are kids who work at Saints furloughed and on a national level there have been sacrifices made by many: from NHS workers to charity raisers. Thompson meanwhile decided to leverage exceptional circumstances to move early.

Id be disgusted if the chairman issued some cliches, lily livered, yellow nonsense about ‘good luck for the future.’ As AD said Wigan species cant take the moral highground with anyone and id be defending the chairman rather than apologising for him.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd be disgusted if the chairman issued some cliches, lily livered, yellow nonsense about ‘good luck for the future.’ As AD said Wigan species cant take the moral highground with anyone and id be defending the chairman rather than apologising for him.
    I agree. McManus just said what happened. Despite what some think, he made no criticism of Thompson.

And as club chairman, you simply cannot have one of your best players leave mid season with no explanation. It would make us seem like we accept being a second option, which the club must never be.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Bullshit, bull-shit, bull....shit.
    Thompson knew exactly what he was doing. The reasons above are sophistry at its best and those who put feeling over fact tend to fall for it.

I’ve aready made the point that though Thompson’s position is defendable ethically it was morally questionable. At a local level there are kids who work at Saints furloughed and on a national level there have been sacrifices made by many: from NHS workers to charity raisers. Thompson meanwhile decided to leverage exceptional circumstances to move early.

Id be disgusted if the chairman issued some cliches, lily livered, yellow nonsense about ‘good luck for the future.’ As AD said Wigan species cant take the moral highground with anyone and id be defending the chairman rather than apologising for him.
    I also agree, I've already posted that I would like to be proved wrong of my criticism of Thompson if Saints cleared the air and wished him well other than the brief nuanced statement first made, perhaps they will make a further statement with the expected announcement of Graham, however I've yet to see any chorus of good luck messages anywhere from his former team mates. At the moment the silence from the club captain and his team mates appears to be deafenjng

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Wasnt too far out was I?.

You are spot on Roy.
    Hope you are well and this second half of your prediction that "he is is still up to it" rings true, it will be smiles all round.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Seems it wasn't something that the chance came along a couple of months ago , I believe from a team mate earlier in his career that his dad had moved his ' yacht' was moved over to Aus 6 months earlier , the team mate? my nephew who is playing I'm Superleague now .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Having just answered a questionnaire from Saint's asking what I'd like to do about my season ticket, refund/credit/donate and answering the latter it certainly all leaves a bad bad taste in the mouth and I for one feel he's let the fans and club down.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Having just answered a questionnaire from Saint's asking what I'd like to do about my season ticket, refund/credit/donate and answering the latter it certainly all leaves a bad bad taste in the mouth and I for one feel he's let the fans and club down.
    Why? The players will begin training for the season restart soon and that means the club will be paying the players in full. It has already been stated that Graham is not going to be on a lot of money and will no doubt be on less than Thompson was. We recieved a fee for Thompson and we're getting Graham on a cheaper deal... I don't think the club has come out to badly from the Thompson situation at all.

If Thompson would have stayed and put on furlough you still would have recieved this email from Saints. It didn't all hinge on him taking a pay cut, if it did then the clubs business model is catastrophic but we all know that simply isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Why? The players will begin training for the season restart soon and that means the club will be paying the players in full. It has already been stated that Graham is not going to be on a lot of money and will no doubt be on less than Thompson was. We recieved a fee for Thompson and we're getting Graham on a cheaper deal... I don't think the club has come out to badly from the Thompson situation at all.

If Thompson would have stayed and put on furlough you still would have recieved this email from Saints. It didn't all hinge on him taking a pay cut, if it did then the clubs business model is catastrophic but we all know that simply isn't the case.
    No if you read it the players are taking a pay cut not just furlough.

I guess we did get a fee for him, which may help financially in the short term, I don't know.

Thompson could have took the pay cut & requested an early release but he is under no obligation to do so. He's gone down the opposite route & got what he wanted.

With Graham coming back, seems like the best outcome Saints could have in the circumstances.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I guess we did get a fee for him, which may help financially in the short term, I don't know.

Thompson could have took the pay cut & requested an early release but he is under no obligation to do so. He's gone down the opposite route & got what he wanted.

With Graham coming back, seems like the best outcome Saints could have in the circumstances.
    I agree, but if Thompson wanted to come back in a couple of years I would hope we would jump at the chance and not hold a grudge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I agree, but if Thompson wanted to come back in a couple of years I would hope we would jump at the chance and not hold a grudge.
    Same here, given the circumstances I think he can be forgiven, I certainly don't hold a grudge.

https://t.co/8Fncwrgmae

Potential longer term Replacement

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

No thanks

Banned

Never heard of him, I'll keep an eye out this weekend.

Big lad and young to be fair.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Never heard of him so decided to check his stats.

Not gained more than 65m in any of his games this year and has just 12 NRL appearances in total. Hardly a ringing endorsement that he is good enough for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Never heard of him so decided to check his stats.

Not gained more than 65m in any of his games this year and has just 12 NRL appearances in total. Hardly a ringing endorsement that he is good enough for us.
    Fair point.

So who , what your current thinking?

Not a challenge, just interested.